GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, odd post here but I hope what I have done will keep someone from making the same mistake.

When I installed my XM antenna, I damaged my visor. What’s the visor? It is the large black plastic piece that sits beneath the windscreen and the arms pass through that raise and lower it.

Part of the install requires tearing that whole windscreen assembly apart. It’s not that difficult but learn from what I will explain below.

Be careful when you begin to reinstall the visor. There are two, very flimsy plastic lips that fit over the top of the speedo. If you compress them instead of clip them, they are ruined. You won’t be able to get them on again after they get “flattened”.

Below is a stock photo of the visor because I did not take pictures of mine while off. But I have circled the two lips to be careful with. I also show the area affected by the mistake.

And if you let someone else like the dealer do the work for you, check behind them by inspecting the narrow area between the speedo and visor.

BikeBandit.com has the part on sale so I ordered a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Was this education expensive?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was this education expensive?
I could live with it but won’t. I see it constantly. It’s on sale from BikeBandit for $148 shipped. Other sites are about $188 plus shipping.

An expensive mistake.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just one more reason to put the XM antenna under the passenger backrest cubby or at the top of the trunk.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Fred Harmon pointed those tabs out on his videos. A lot cheaper than a new dash.:smile2:
That is one of many things that Make Fred Harmon's videos pay back the purchase price many times over......
He takes the time to give some practical advice on how to remove and reinstall the panels......not just "take the panel off".
He also shows each screw removed so if you got them mixed up his video will tell you which one goes where.

OP.......
Thanks for the post.....it will hopefully help others. Glad it wasn't a painted part, would of cost much more. :surprise:

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
If you're careful, you may be able to pry the tab back into shape and reuse the panel. Another option would be to cut the bottom of the compressed portion of the tab all the way off, this should allow the panel to then sit flush. Those tabs can be a pain to get lined up properly, so it helps if you start at the top and tilt the front of the panel up high so that the tabs fit on properly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're careful, you may be able to pry the tab back into shape and reuse the panel. Another option would be to cut the bottom of the compressed portion of the tab all the way off, this should allow the panel to then sit flush. Those tabs can be a pain to get lined up properly, so it helps if you start at the top and tilt the front of the panel up high so that the tabs fit on properly.
Yup, tried to pry it back with no go; it would not stay secure over the lip. I did not try shaving it off though. When I next strip it down again, I will try that first. If that works, I'll have a spare visor in case of future "mistakes".

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Yep...been down this road...I used my wife's hair dryer...warmed up the tabs and then used a very small screwdriver and pried the tabs back up....I then put some crazy glue on the tabs before installing to help strengthen any micro cracks that might have occurred...let dry and then installed...brand new....

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final update and I’ll let this thread die.

Today, while installing my Innovv K2, I replaced the visor with the one I got from BikeBandit when it was on sale. It was rough-going. I had a lot of trouble getting it on that same lip area. I ended up using a little silicone on the lip to help it slip over the lip. Anyway, it looks better now. If anyone tackles a visor replacement in the future, know that the new one does come with the flip up vent deflector but all other hardware (grommets, rubber flaps for windshield, and those pesky clips that hold it on) have to be moved over.

And the K2, i’ll post pics later on its install. I think I have it clean. I plan to finish buttoning everything up tomorrow and take a ride and take some recording.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts