GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was nervous, but now I'm not. Got up this morning and pulled the rear tire on my new 2013 and changed to a Yokohama Avid Envigo NRF with counteract beads. Did the whole seat, fender, amp, muffler pull with bike on the center stand. The amp cable is a pain, the rest not bad. (think I'll try the layover method next time) finished up and went for a 60 mile run. No more worries about it. It runs a lot smoother (started with 36 psi) and I really can't tell much difference from the original (2500 miles and already had a large flat wear pattern). My best local "twisties" were no problem, maybe even a bit faster. My local tire shop (I can see it from my front yard) mounted it and transfered my beads for $10, and did a great job with the rim. Even if this tire only gets the same miles as the stones, it just feels better and I know will run cooler.

Few more thousand miles and it'll be time to double darkside.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the Darkside!!! With 36 PSI the center will wear out first. But you still should get more miles from it than the stone.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
36 psi

Yeah I figured 36 was going to cause center wear, but I'm going to install a pressurepro system next week and start lowering that pressure. Don't have too many real twisties around my area so I should be able to go as low as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the darkside. I ended up at 32psi on my alpine with even wear at 7000 miles.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yeah I figured 36 was going to cause center wear, but I'm going to install a pressurepro system next week and start lowering that pressure. Don't have too many real twisties around my area so I should be able to go as low as possible. Thanks.
Having a TPMS is a must if you're running a RF. Good move! Don't be surprised if you end up in the 28 - 30 PSI range before it's all over. Welcome aboard to the Dark Side! Why not consider coming to the Dark Side Ride-In this year in Franklin, NC?

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Having a TPMS is a must if you're running a NRF. Good move! Don't be surprised if you end up in the 28 - 30 PSI range before it's all over. Welcome aboard to the Dark Side! Why not consider coming to the Dark Side Ride-In this year in Franklin, NC?
:agree: Yes I agree with Elrod on the TPMS and coming to the Darkside Ride-in.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Having a TPMS is a must if you're running a RF. Good move! Don't be surprised if you end up in the 28 - 30 PSI range before it's all over. Welcome aboard to the Dark Side! Why not consider coming to the Dark Side Ride-In this year in Franklin, NC?
Fixed

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Nervous

WELCOME to the darkside. Don't be nervous, As you put on the miles you will see why there are so many of us on the roads. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Welcome Riverdawg! Is your tire a nrf Non run flat? If so, you might want to try it in the 40 to 44 psi range. A TPMS is a great safety tool no matter what tires you are running! Check out the Fla. sub board for a RTE (ride to eat) near you and join us. Look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome To The Darkside - Where There Is Actually More Light

Congrats on the Yoko. Yoko is my favorite............:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you use the OEM TPMS you can reverse register the sensors so computer will think the rear is the front and front is the rear and that will allow you to run lower rear preasure 32 and TPMS witll still work ok. There is a thread on this forum on how its done but I am a witness and it works . Have done my 2010 that way on last two CTs.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
If you use the OEM TPMS you can reverse register the sensors so computer will think the rear is the front and front is the rear and that will allow you to run lower rear preasure 32 and TPMS witll still work ok. There is a thread on this forum on how its done but I am a witness and it works . Have done my 2010 that way on last two CTs.:thumbup:
Yep, Hparsons did a write up on switching the sensors. Super Easy, he helped me with mine, he has the $100 tool you need.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations on the new tire.

I have that tire in my garage, waiting for when I wear out Lucille's MT.

As you get used to it I think you'll enjoy taking those Florida Twisties (aka cloverleaf transitions) with more confidence.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Welcome Riverdawg! Is your tire a nrf Non run flat? If so, you might want to try it in the 40 to 44 psi range. A TPMS is a great safety tool no matter what tires you are running! Check out the Fla. sub board for a RTE (ride to eat) near you and join us. Look forward to meeting you!
+1, just what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to be in the low 30's with a Non Run Flat.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:agree:
If it isn't the ZPS Avid Envigor he may find 36 a bit low. No need to worry about mucking with the OEM TPMS with NRFs. They'll remain happy with the pressures needed of those tires. :thumbup:

+1, just what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to be in the low 30's with a Non Run Flat.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tpms

Ok, couple days of riding. At 38 psi, the TPMS works fine, then when I lowered to 34, got warning in the morning for about 10 miles then cleared, no warning that afternoon after work. Ride feels great at 34 up to 95 mph (all I did). Do feel a bit of a squirm if you goose it a bit while making a turn, but I'm used to being careful there because my RT pulls the front tire off the ground when you do that and your turn gets canceled quick. I'm going to go back to 38+ see how that works long term.

I'm going to try the pressure pro TPMS because I'd like to get real pressure values. I went with the NRF mainly because I thought I was going to mount the tires my self at home, but after breaking the bead on the MT, I decided to check with my local tire guy, he dismounted, mounted and saved my beads for $10. If I had know that I'd bought the RF. It'll be next soon as I can wear this one some.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: And welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts