GL1800Riders Forums banner

I wave.

959 views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Analysttom 
#1 ·
I always wave whether they wave back or not. Most do wave. If they don't wave back I don't worry about it. My waving is about me. Their waving (or not) is about them.

I've been riding for 13 months now and so far I've never had to stop for someone broke down. But if I do, I'll stop to see if I can help, unless there is clearly a reason not too. For instance if it seems likely that I would put my safety or someone elses safety at risk. Or if there are already too many others helping already.

#2 ·
Alton said:
I always wave whether they wave back or not. Most do wave. If they don't wave back I don't worry about it. My waving is about me. Their waving (or not) is about them.

I've been riding for 13 months now and so far I've never had to stop for someone broke down. But if I do, I'll stop to see if I can help, unless there is clearly a reason not too. For instance if it seems likely that I would put my safety or someone elses safety at risk. Or if there are already too many others helping already.
Now if you could just get people to "wave" back to your posts!!! :a13:

I too feel the loneliness of an unanswered post from time to time.....

Matt(Ashland,MA) :shock:

#3 ·
Alton said:

I too try to wave at all other bikers, but sometimes I get wrapped up in riding and do forget to tho. I feel the bottom line is we are all together in this and if a fellow biker needs help I will stop to see if I can help, not all will want your help but you have done what I feel is required if you do offer

Just my thoughts

JB

#5 ·
Speaking of waving. They had a post about it over at HD. The men thought it was way uncool to wave but the women liked it. Notice the lowering of the hand in a downword position. Thats waving to a Harley man.
My girlfriend would wave to a tree I believe if it would wave back. She waves like a Miss america girl and it throws off the balance on my bike. LOL

G
#6 ·
G-Funk said:
Speaking of waving. They had a post about it over at HD. The men thought it was way uncool to wave but the women liked it. Notice the lowering of the hand in a downword position. Thats waving to a Harley man.
My girlfriend would wave to a tree I believe if it would wave back. She waves like a Miss america girl and it throws off the balance on my bike. LOL
I agree, waving is for women.

#7 ·
I grew up riding behind my father from about the age of 5 and my job was to wave at every rider. My father always told me to wave because "that rider was just a friend you havn't met yet." :a13:

I always try and wave if I can safely do so and always stop for a lone rider, doesn't matter if I am in a car or on the bike. Sheila

G
#8 ·
motorcyclemom40 said:
I grew up riding behind my father from about the age of 5 and my job was to wave at every rider. My father always told me to wave because "that rider was just a friend you havn't met yet." :a13:

I always try and wave if I can safely do so and always stop for a lone rider, doesn't matter if I am in a car or on the bike. Sheila
Right on Sheila, I agree. More manly to be helpful to someone broken
down then to look the other way. As far as a wave...how hard is it to
acknowledge another person that has at least some of your same interests.

#9 ·
I wave at everybody, even to pretty girls sitting on the porch painting their toenails.

#10 ·
I wave to every biker, sport, HD, scooter. We are all out there on the two wheeled brotherhood. About a third do not wave back, but that is ok with me.

#11 ·
Alton -

I too feel the same way. I wave...at everyone if I'm not busy shifting or braking. Here's my take on it. I'm an accomplished rider (wont bore you now) and my waving says - I am owner of my domain, I have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles to accomplish that, I ride at my speed with in my abilities, in a safe manner. I enjoy the ride and because of that, I wave to tell you. Don't wave back...ok. Wave back...I know you enjoy the ride also. Those who wave are part of the brotherhood. So enjoy the ride and tell them you do...wave.

#12 ·
My wife and I just did an 800 mile trip this weekend. I live near Galveston, and there was a big bike event down their this weekend that attracts about 250,000! (have not read the final count, but that's what it usually draws).

Because my wife and I actually went the opposite direction both days, we passed thousands of riders heading to Galveston yesterday morning, and heading home today. My wife and I were both amazed at how few waved. My wife says one thing she likes about me is my persistence. No matter how few returned waves, I still waved to every one of them.

#13 ·
I've always waved at other riders. That was a thing we did in the olden days but I don't see as much of it anymore. Too bad. I think it has a lot to do with the different bike cultures...sport vs cruiser vs touring vs Harley.

I wave at everyone still and about half wave back.

#14 ·
I always wave - mostly the HD riders riding solo won't wave - all groups will wave back.
I bet if the HD was broke down and we helped him he'd rather be left broke down than have a GW rider help him out.

Most are ok but some are just a pain in the :?

#15 ·
Alton said:

Wow Alton, this post sat there for a week and then the fuse was lit and off it went!!!!!!!!

Anyway, at 6'4" & 240, would it be "manly" to wave? FOR SURE.... unless you are too "limp wristed" to get your hand off the handlebars!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Sheila Wrote:

I grew up riding behind my father from about the age of 5 and my job was to wave at every rider. My father always told me to wave because "that rider was just a friend you havn't met yet."

Sheila, when is the last time you were in a car?

#18 ·
Waving

I'vane only been riding for a little more than 35 years, so I am still very excited every time I get on the bike. I wave at everyone, scooters, cruisers, crotch rockets, Harleys. I really don't care if they wave back, but I do feel bad that they aren't having as much funa s I am. I have noticed recently that many cruiser riders wave back with the left arm extended and lowered. I always used that to mean "slow down, cop ahead."

The exception to the above is the general "no wave" zone around major events. At a big one like Daytona it seems to start about 50 miles out. Although, I must admit to the occaisional slip and a wave in town.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.