GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the bike apart to figure out what was going on with the fuel door, thanks to Murphy's Law, I created my next project.
What is the best way to fix this? These are the Add On Sequential Turn Signal Mirrors.

Wood Cable Font Electronic device Wire

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
664 Posts
Harbor Freight has a mix automobile male/female plugs/posts, You will just need a crimping tool. Or, Amazon has low voltage mix plugs with pins and a plastic pin pusher, all in a plastic container. Both are not expensive. Or, use a simple wire connection block with 4 tiny screws. You basically just need to create a male/female quick connect.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
The easy method would be to replace the entire plug with something you can get.
The best solution would be to look at some of the connectors from available vendors and get replacements.
I have in the past replaced accessory manufacturer plugs with something I could get my hands on easily. I have a bunch of molex plugs on my bikes because of ease to get. However, with the demise of Fry's Electronics and the only small electronics store I have left having hours that I cannot get to except on every other week off Friday's; plugs are not as easy for me to get without ordering online and waiting for them. It is a good thing I keep supply on hand......

Automotive/Motorcycle Connector Kits | Corsa Technic
The place for all your motorcycle electric needs.
Wire Connectors for Automotive and Electrical Use | Waytek Wire

My favorite electronics anything: Digikey. However, you need to know what you are getting to get it.
DigiKey Electronics Home

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
664 Posts
I would replace it too. Those type of plug are a bit hard to re-solder, if you don’t do it a lot. It’s possible, but not worth it, in my opinion. You can also run to auto parts place. Plenty on a rack. I did the same on my FJR. Got a set from EBay. Crimp and push in one time till clicks and done. Pay attention to male/female pins vs to plastic housing, that’s all. I would get few sets, in case of oooooopsss. No biggy. Watch YouTube videos on plug buildup.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
The problem is that the plugs for the AddOn lights are not the same as the Honda plug. While they fit they do not come apart easily. Replace them with a good set of waterproof plugs.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Or, you can replace BOTH male and female by cutting them and solder in new connectors of your choice, heat shrink then using sealing heat shrink.

You can easily find pre-wired pair online.

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
808 Posts
@flyboy1800
That is a sumitomo hm 090 2 pin sealed connector.

You can reuse the housing (plastic part) and seals (black rubber parts) but not the terminals (the metal bits)

You need two female terminals (the metal bits)
You can find them on this page: Click HERE and scroll down
Cycle Terminal

You will need to remove the terminals that are still in the connector. A pick or jewelers screw driver can be used to gently lift the tab that locks them in place and push them out. They come out easily so no need to gorilla on them.

Put the seals on the wires if they were removed.

Crimp the terminals on the wires - there are two places on each terminal to crimp

Insert the terminals into the connector housing (I don't have my electrical diagram handy or I would tell you which color of wire to match to the bike's wire)

Plug in the light and check for operation.

If it doesn't work right, use the pick/jewelers's screw driver pull the terminals out gently.

Swap wire positions and reinstall in connector housing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He said they were Add-On Accessories mirrors (not Muth).

You should be able to extract the pins from the connector housing and then solder the wires on, then replace back in the housing. Just be sure to get the polarity correct (compare with the opposite side mirror).
Thanks, that's what I did. I soldered the wires and then checked which side the red wire was on, double checked, and then triple checked, and then put the pins back into the connector. It looks like it is good to go. At least now, I know what it takes to fix one of thes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts