GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the team at R&D(Research & Development). What ever it is, I'd say it's way too much. After the big changes on the 06 model, I guess they must have shot their wads. Any moron could've picked out better colors, than what they have for the 07's. After at least a year, they couldn't even come up with a new idea???? Sure makes me proud to own the 05. And I'm thrilled I didn't go for the 06, & I sure as heck won't get an 07. Maybe with the lack of excitment & additions on the 07 model, the 08 will have some real kick a$$ changes. :wink: If only Mother Honda's R&D team would read this forum, they might come up with some good idea's for the future.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yup, that Honda Motorcycle Company sure doesn't know what they're doing. I mean, after all, isn't Research and Development cost recouped in the first weeks of the GL1800 being released? Why would they be so foolish as to spread the cost over say, oh, 10 to 13 years like they did with the GL1500? I mean, after all, charge $75,000 a copy for the darn bike so they can redesign crap every year. Lord knows we don't need the time for frame issues and overheat problems to get worked out after they hit the street. We could just buy the next generation of problems the following year.

Or perhaps Honda should model themselves after Harley Davidson. Don't bother with the R&D, put all the money in marketing and satisfy the customer base with new badges for the bikes and new clothes for the rider every year.

Write them a letter, Verdayne. They can sure use your business savvy.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
:lol: ..They are still selling them as fast as they can make them... :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
In an earlier post, I touched on why this is happening (IMHO), and I will
repeat it here, with a little more opinion.

First, I sincerely believe that Honda does know what they are doing. Their
sales increase each year, and until they see a slowdown in 1800 sales by
mid-year, Honda will stay the course.

Drive by any Chevrolet or Ford dealer and you will see tons of cars and
trucks that are not selling. GM is hurting, Ford is hurting, Honda, 'fraid
they be doin' just fine.

If you flood the market with units, you get just that, a flood, and saturation
is only good to a point. I agree that better r&d would be great. I agree
that options and packages other than what are offered would be great.

The GL1500 was manufactured for 13 years with virtually no change. Now
why would I think that they would change a business model that has been
working this well for 50+ years.

JMHO...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think my 05 abs is perfect and I got it for 17K when I bought it new. The way I see it, my timing was perfect and I want for nothing on my big tourer. Now that '06 Pearl White Interceptor on the floor at Ron Ayers Motorsports is giving me fits... I bet that thing is a monster in the curves.

Scott

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
wk4bg8s said:
Drive by any Chevrolet or Ford dealer and you will see tons of cars and
trucks that are not selling. GM is hurting, Ford is hurting, Honda, 'fraid
they be doin' just fine.
JMHO...
I was at the ice cream stand last week, when a local Chevy salesman I know walked up behind me. I asked how things were going. He said that if it wasn't for used vehicles, they wouldn't be selling anything. He also said that all those full page auto ads you see in the paper aren't there because the dealers want them there...they need them there to try to get rid of all the excess cars/trucks.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I think they are the best looking colors ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have added yellow though.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm with Laen - in fact I'll have either an orange or silver 07 in my garage by the end of the month.

R & D?? I think the wing's still lightyears ahead of anything else out there!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Verdayne...he's alive!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Ford, Gm, cant sell cars because they have burned the bridge too many times with the public. And thry have too much profit coming out of the car and going into the retirees. I dont think the saturation part is the problem. Toyota cant make cars fast enough. Each quarter they are setting a new record in sales. Now thier only problem is trying to keep thier reputation of quality up when they are making so many cars. They have 3 cars that were supposed to be launched in October. Now they are saying its gonna be the 1st of the year because they need or want more time to make sure whatever rolls off the line is perfect. Can you imagaine some of these other manufactures thinking like that? Honda knows exactly what they are doing. They will make significant changes to the Wing when the market place deems it neccasary.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Gotta agree tht Honda knows exactly what they are doing.

The Wing is selling very well....Honda sells as many as they can produce. How many times have we seen posts on this board from folks looking for a Wing?

Buyers are willing to travel, sometimes thousands of miles to purchase their new motorcycle....people don't do that to purchase a car (yes I realize there are more car dealers than motorcycle dealers, the observation remains)

It is remarkable that Honda can sell so many luxury items (rarely would anyone purchase a Wing as a necessity) that cost over $20,000.

As for the colors....that is entirely personal. I am positive anyone's choice of colors would have it's detractors as well.

The 2007 models are out....my prediction is Honda will produce the same "model" for 2008 and 2009...perhaps 2010 will see some changes in time for the 35th anniversary.

My 30th Anniversary silver 05 is looking to be a smarter purchase than I had imagined.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Back in May it was my intent to buy a new 06. After looking at the color selection (new tail lights didn't get my vote either) I went with a brand new Yellow 05 they had in back. :D I figured if I were to fork out that kind of money I might as well get something I would enjoy looking at years down the road.
I've heard that Honda hires some agencie to pick out the colors (supposedly that we the public will enjoy) for the years ahead.

Cheers!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah but nobody can hold a candle to Harley and their marketing strategies....NOBODY.

Phuggin Geniuses....

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Holy crap, imagine how much the wing would cost if they had to 1 - do research in how to implement changes, then 2- to actually implement those changes every year. We think the wing is expensive now, nothing compared to what it would be if they did that every year. This is nothing new, they have never made changes every year. It's not like they have been doing it the whole time and then for the 07 model they don't. This is normal. For pretty much every single vehicle manufacturer in the world. Not really anything changes every year....

·
Registered
104 Posts
FUSE said:
Holy crap, imagine how much the wing would cost if they had to 1 - do research in how to implement changes, then 2- to actually implement those changes every year. We think the wing is expensive now, nothing compared to what it would be if they did that every year. This is nothing new, they have never made changes every year. It's not like they have been doing it the whole time and then for the 07 model they don't. This is normal. For pretty much every single vehicle manufacturer in the world. Not really anything changes every year....
Sir, I agree..besides...what really needs changed?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
MadCow said:
Sir, I agree..besides...what really needs changed?
Uh . . .Too much horsepower is never enough? :D

I am so happy with my '05 w/ABS I can not see trading it until significant changes, and even then I may keep it if it has less than 200k miles.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yep,

Honda is dumbiest group of people.

BUT, we keeping buying those terrible Wings.

I wonder what that says about US.

Well, not about me, cause I am happy with I have except the comfort factor which I will fix over the snow months by changing the seat out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts