GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed today by a true expert know it all that any Iron Butt rides on a Gold Wing were not really "True" Iron Butt rides?? His reasoning was because Gold Wings had windshields,cruise control,backrests,heated grips,and heated seats and should be exempt from Iron Butt rides and certificates!

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
just because they are not smart enough to ride behind a windshield is not my fault . . . .

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have completed IBs on 2 different bikes;

1. 1000 miles/ 15 hrs, on Suz M109R-no windshield, no heat

2. 1000 miles/15.5 hrs, on Level 4 wing

As you may note I was faster by a 1/2 hour on the M109R, probably because it was so much fun to go fast on the M109R and so much fun to liesurely cruise on the wing.

Either way 1000 miles is 1000 miles and 15 hrs is 15 hrs. Kudos to anyone who completes an IB ride, no matter what they ride.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I was informed today by a true expert know it all that any Iron Butt rides on a Gold Wing were not really "True" Iron Butt rides?? His reasoning was because Gold Wings had windshields,cruise control,backrests,heated grips,and heated seats and should be exempt from Iron Butt rides and certificates!

What's your opinion?
In my opinion, he's an idiot.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What are the credentials of a "True Expert"?

I guess they could make it a rule of eliminating everything to include foam in the seat (that would be a real iron butt ride) to eliminating suspension.

We have waited 30 years to be able to afford this Wing and we don't feel too guilty about riding it with the creature comforts.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts

What's your opinion?
Well, most gold wings don't have backrests, heated grips, heated seated, so at a minimum the expert isn't much of one.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Why is he picking on Gold Wings, most BMW's and Harley's have all that stuff also.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
HA Ha. No Expert. The rules as I read them some time ago say nothing about what you ride, or what equipment you have, it has to do with doing the miles over a time period, and how to document it.

IF the rules for a particular "award" would say: "no windshields, fairings, heaters, etc etc, THEN he would be right, but they don't.

If you did the miles you have an iron butt! :thumbup:

Oh, I've never done, it. Done 600 or 700 in a day, and I challenge anyone that says because I ride a Wing, I am not a "real" rider, motorcyclist etc. Takes a real rider to handle a big bike, and when I ride, I have a grin. I am not concerned about what somebody that eats bugs thinks about my ride!:doorag:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gold Wings are reliable.

Gold Wings are reliable bikes. They just don't break down as often as the Harley or other bikes so one chances of completing an Iron Butt are better on a Wing..... Just my humble opinion.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

What's your opinion?
...and, what it your experts qualifications?

I did my first SS1000 last weekend. Sixteen hours on a bike is 16 hours...
with or without those 'creature comforts' - the ride still has to be accomplished.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Id be a smart butt and ask if he had the luxury of a padded seat.

·
Registered
686 Posts

What's your opinion?
My honest opinion isn't printable.

Sounds like a bad case of Goldwing envy. It seems to me that, although helpful (and, as noted, a more dependable bike), it was me doing the planning (not the bike) for the ride, me getting up at an otherwise ungodly hour to spend 22 hours in the saddle (not the bike), and me talking to people to get them to witness my ride (not the bike).

And what, pray tell, makes him a true expert?

IHis reasoning was because Gold Wings had windshields,cruise control,backrests,heated grips,and heated seats and should be exempt from Iron Butt rides and certificates!

What's your opinion?
Right... because there are NO other bikes with windshields.

I'm not certain that the bike's cruise control kept it upright or maneuvered it through traffic or avoided the forest rat/road debris.

The smarty-pants answer is that unless your 'true expert' is named Michael Kneebone or Ira Agins, his opinion will be given the consideration that is due -- which is exactly 'zero'.

Well, and tell him to park his scoot in a tiny, dark, stinky garage.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
The expert is full of BS...

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

What's your opinion?
Using his know-it-all reasoning skills, I guess we should also not allow:

Wearing ATGATT (also adds to 'creature comfort' in most conditions)

Ear protection, Gortex raingear nor synthetic fabrics of any kind -- only leather, wool or cotton clothing

Roadside towing/AAA -- or cell phones. "Be Prepared" is for Boy Scouts and other children

Pay at the pump/credit cards

Motorcycles with aftermarket saddles, footrests

Motorcycles with more than two cylinders and/or liquid cooling

Consumption of sports drinks, energy bars, use of on-bike hydration systems

Use of GPS devices -- only paper maps allowed

Wheels must have spokes

Motors must have an oil-mix system

Motorcycles must leak oil and burn it, too

Girls, homosexuals, immigrants, or men in suits.

Antibiotics, condoms, salsa, sunscreen, OTC analgesics, or clean needles

Gee, I guess the list of 'qualified' rides/riders could get narrowed down to... only know-it-alls.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to high school with this expert,to date his qualifications was a Hayabusa 20+ years ago which put him in traction.About a year ago decided to ride again,purchased a Hammer and formed a little local Victory club bar hoppers crew.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier,this group has been trying to do a Iron Butt ride several times without success.
After his original comment I just laughed and told him he would just have to climb back on his "Rally Bar Hopper" and give that Iron Butt another go again and again and again :p lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, a long long time ago, in another life, a real smart fellow defined "expert" in a way that I still use.

He defined Expert as being a conjugation of two words: Ex and spert. As we all know an Ex is a has been, and spert, well, that's just a drip under pressure. :coffee1:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts