GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, looks like I could not talk my self out of this ride ( a 3 day visit to Las Vegas instead does sound nice ) so I will be starting at 2:00 AM EDT this Saturday, June 14, 2014 and will be attempting to ride 3 BBG's ( 1500+ miles in less than 24 hours ) back to back to back and maybe a little more if I can. ;) I have done this ride twice before so I have some experience with it.

Here is my planned route. Tim Masterson is going to be my witness in Junction, TX for 3 of the BBG's.

First BBG: Home ( south Florida ) to Junction by way of Jacksonville, I-95 to I-10

Second BBG: Junction to Tucson and back to Junction, all I-10

Third BBG: Same as second BBG, Junction to Tucson and back to Junction, all I-10

Tim has posted his blog page which will have my SPOT tracking map and Tim will also be posting updates and some photos. Tim has some good information regarding the ride on his blog.

http://hardtxrider.blogspot.com/

My direct SPOT tracking link in the event you can not access Tim's blog. Tim's blog will have the most information so I would try that first.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5

You can track the weather at the below link

http://www.gregrice.com/50CC_100CCC/50CC_100CCC_weather.htm

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Have a great - and successful - trip.

(Though I'm not anywhere near the rider you are, I would much rather put $$ in my tank than leave it in Lost Wages.)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
That is a pretty tall order! I wish you good luck with your ride Greg! I will be watching your spot.
Had you posted this last week I would have loved to try and hang with you for at least 1 of the BBG's. This has been the one IBA ride that has eluded me several times for one reason or another.
Instead I volunteered to lead a group ride to pick Blueberries and eat chicken fried steak at the Shed in Edom, Texas on Saturday. Thinking hard about calling in sick on Monday!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Good luck Greg. I'll be checking the Spotwalla as well as Tim's blog and the weather.

Good luck in the rally in Ely too.

gramps

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Atta way to go Greg. 1st BBG in less than 20 hours. :bow:

Outstanding stamina

gramps

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Greg, you now have my attention...love to meet up with you at the turn, but I have commitments today...beautiful weather, enjoy the ride!

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!

EDIT: Made his turn about three miles from the house. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Way to keep the wheels turning Greg! Go Go Go!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Another ATTA BOY Greg. You made the half way turn in Tucson in 9.5 hours. Does that mean that you're gonna make an 19 hour BBG? I hope so.

gramps

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'm surprised that someone who rides 3k a year hasn't posted how dangerous this is. :roll: They don't realize that them riding across town to "talk about riding" with others of their ilk is more dangerous, for a myriad of reasons.

Not new but it works: "Keep the shiny side up."

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Looks like Greg is on course for a sub 20 hour BBG! He truly is the Master of the BBG.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
All I can say is WOW Greg. I've been enjoying reading/following along.
I'm debating whether or not to try my first BBG this fall.

Dan

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Another ATTA BOY Greg. You made the half way turn in Tucson in 9.5 hours. Does that mean that you're gonna make an 19 hour BBG? I hope so.

gramps
I've been planning the same route, and I'm worried that I can't do it in 23 hours.
:shock:
I know Greg is hard-core with this, but this is an *amazing* pace to maintain.

I really would have liked to have chased him for a couple hundred miles...but...

What a perfectly planned weekend to pull this ride off; close to the solstice, full moon at night; terrific planning!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Awesome

Few things in life are truly awesome. This is. Vicarious riding at it's best for us wannabes. Ride on.

Gator1606

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Greg has about a couple hundred miles to go, if that, and it looks like another great ride. Truly amazing. One thing to consider on I-10 is dust storms. Mother in law lives there in Deming , NM and says they close I-10 frequently. Thankfully Greg got through all that without the dust.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
He truly is the Master of the BBG.:thumbup:
I'm pretty sure Greg has more certified BBG rides than anyone on the planet....Something like 20 or so!
He also is a IBR vet several times over...Some guys are just wired to ride....He is one of them.

Godspeed Greg!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Greg did it again successfully. Even with the huge thunderstorm and closure of I-10 due to a semi overturned and flooding in Van Horn,TX another 1500 mile day in less than 20hrs. I've done 4 BBG rides and could get through in 20hrs and change in perfect conditions, sub 20hr is quite the ride, and 3 days of it.
Congratulations on a superb ride. Don't know how many BBG rides this makes now, but close to 25.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts