GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I made the switch to GEICO for my motorcycle insurance. I wanted Progressive, but they charged nearly twice what GEICO wanted. While reading through the fine print on my policy, I discovered that GEICO will not cover endurance rides over 500 miles per day. That was quite a surprise and disheartening since I plan to make a couple IBA rides this year. Bummer! :frown2:

Sooooo...

Does anyone know of an insurance carrier that provides short-term insurance specifically for endurance rides? I could probably take my chances and practice "don't ask, don't tell", but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Strange....I really don't like Progressive but they are less than everything else I've looked at.

You might try Dairyland. They've been doing motorcycles for years and I don't think they have any stupid exceptions for long distance days.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be a bit more clear, I am NOT looking to replace my current insurance. What I'm looking to do is purchase short-term insurance whenever I plan on a long-distance ride.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Oh...that changes things. No idea then. IBA's aren't events that should require special insurance so I doubt anyone offers a policy for just IBA events.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I've pointed the OP in a direction he may be able to get his question answered.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have done long runs some IBA on my bike & in my truck, but these long endurance runs are technically illegal. Federal DOT & many state motor vehicle laws limit how many hours you are allowed to drive. Since private passenger vehicle(class C in NJ) licenses don't require logs as to when you are driving & when you stop IBA riders & others just trying to get cross country as fast as possible get away with doing it.
I never "advertise" what I am doing during these long runs, if anything is said, I just say "I'm traveling", but I don't say how far I've gone or how much farther I'm planning to go.

Looking for insurance to cover an IBA run I think is just drawing attention to yourself that I would avoid.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The only problem occurs if there's a problem. Anyone can be tracked these days by any number of methods. If an insurance company feels a driver was the cause of the accident, particularly if it injured someone, they could track your ride through cell phone records, credit card receipts, traffic cameras, et. al. So I think I would rather ride with the insurance knowing what I was doing rather than risk being found liable for a sum of money that would demolish my and my grandkids' future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have done long runs some IBA on my bike & in my truck, but these long endurance runs are technically illegal. Federal DOT & many state motor vehicle laws limit how many hours you are allowed to drive. Since private passenger vehicle(class C in NJ) licenses don't require logs as to when you are driving & when you stop IBA riders & others just trying to get cross country as fast as possible get away with doing it.
I never "advertise" what I am doing during these long runs, if anything is said, I just say "I'm traveling", but I don't say how far I've gone or how much farther I'm planning to go.

Looking for insurance to cover an IBA run I think is just drawing attention to yourself that I would avoid.

I disagree. please show the legal citation for this.

OP, sounds like the policy does not exclude long rides, but instead "endurance events"". You could ride with them w/o signing up? The,exclusion sounds similar to auto policies racing event exclusion.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Since this may well go sideways, I sent the OP the answer.

The short, direct answer "No - unless you're looking at crazy expensive one-off policy."

Sometimes when you switch from one insurance company to another because it's cheaper, it's cheaper because they don't cover as much.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Research showed that this clause is peculiar to GEICO. I could probably get away with it, but I'm not taking chances. I'll switch insurance before I do an Iron Butt. I would prefer Progressive but they are very expensive and want payment for a year in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
...which is why, when shopping for insurance, I lump the whole thing (home, two cars, motorcycle) into the equation.

Yes, seperate policy for the bike, but for ~$350 for the year, that's a no-brainer.

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
137 Posts

OP, sounds like the policy does not exclude long rides, but instead "endurance events"". You could ride with them w/o signing up? The,exclusion sounds similar to auto policies racing event exclusion.
Federal DOT regulations for CDL drivers limit you to a maximum of 11 hour of driving time within a 14 hour period, at the end of that cycle you must be off duty (not driving a CDL vehicle) for at least 10 hours before driving the CDL vehicle again.
Many states have laws regarding unsafe operation (different wording in different states), but the sum of it is endurance driving is considered driving past your safe limit & most will consider anything beyond the federal DOT limits as endurance/ unsafe.

All I was trying to say is anyone doing these runs (including when I have & probably will again) you are taking a risk of how police, insurance & courts will consider what you are doing. You can still be written up as unsafe even if you were only on the road for an hour, but were tired, talking on your cell, eating, basically ANY thing that compromises your attention to the road, but an extended time driving/ riding causes fatigue & that has been proven.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
CRAZZY, CDL provisions do not apply to everyone. There may be a wacky state or two. There are probably more that have a general thing about alertness or staying awake so you'd be at added legal risk if you nodded off, but not if you endured.

OP, what about an umbrella liability policy? Rather than a vehicle- and event-specific rider.

I too have Geico. I read that clause a while back. I remember the "events" word in mine and that was key to me accepting it. If I was riding in an IBA rally, I would worry about that exclusion. However, doing a cert ride which is something you do on your own and only cert it up later is a tough thing to call an event. Between that loophole and the DADT approach, I accept the clause in the policy and interpret myself as good enough. Let's hope we all keep not needing to stress test that.

·
Registered
139 Posts

We have received queries about how we operate a few times, the Pennsylvania state police were doing some research a few years ago and we went back and forth (they have an actual endurance test clause in the law there). They closed the books when they saw we required riders to stop every 350 miles. They seemed to define endurance runs as someone driving/riding non-stop. Not gauged by hours in the seat, but that you were not trying to drive non-stop for 24 hours or more. We got into it a bit, and I said, you mean people load up 30 gallons of gas and drive non-stop around the state? Paraphrasing a bit here, "you would not believe what people try to do behind the wheel."

I asked if there were a maximum amount of road time (in the statues) that we could quote riders and he said only for trucks and other commercial traffic.

Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts

We have received queries about how we operate a few times, the Pennsylvania state police were doing some research a few years ago and we went back and forth (they have an actual endurance test clause in the law there). They closed the books when they saw we required riders to stop every 350 miles. They seemed to define endurance runs as someone driving/riding non-stop. Not gauged by hours in the seat, but that you were not trying to drive non-stop for 24 hours or more. We got into it a bit, and I said, you mean people load up 30 gallons of gas and drive non-stop around the state? Paraphrasing a bit here, "you would not believe what people try to do behind the wheel."

I asked if there were a maximum amount of road time (in the statues) that we could quote riders and he said only for trucks and other commercial traffic.

Mike

I'm not trying to argue here, but the IBA required stops every 350 miles or less is a joke of claiming its not endurance when your just stopping, filling the tank, taking a piss & maybe a snack & back on the road in under 20-30 minutes.
For those people doing IBA & other long runs, keep in mind "if" something happens & the cops/ lawyers find out you have been on the road for 15+hrs &/ 800+mi, even with 3 fuel/ piss breaks, they will find some code to site/ charge you under.
Again I have done a couple (undocumented) IBA runs on my bike & some extremely long (I would consider endurance) runs of get across country asap in my truck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Research showed that this clause is peculiar to GEICO. I could probably get away with it, but I'm not taking chances. I'll switch insurance before I do an Iron Butt. I would prefer Progressive but they are very expensive and want payment for a year in advance.

Bob
Good for you for reading the policy - and thanks for sharing about the Geico policy!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last month I made the switch to GEICO for my motorcycle insurance. I wanted Progressive, but they charged nearly twice what GEICO wanted. While reading through the fine print on my policy, I discovered that GEICO will not cover endurance rides over 500 miles per day. That was quite a surprise and disheartening since I plan to make a couple IBA rides this year. Bummer! :frown2:

Sooooo...

Does anyone know of an insurance carrier that provides short-term insurance specifically for endurance rides? I could probably take my chances and practice "don't ask, don't tell", but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Thanks.

Bob
This issue about GEICO was brought up with the actual wording posted a couple years ago on either this site or goldwingfacts.com & the way it was worded basically stated you couldn't "plan" to exceed the 500mi a day, but it sounded like if "it just happens" that you exceed the 500mi in a day you were ok.

·
Administrator
3,611 Posts
That's almost incomprehensible that an insurance policy would deny coverage for someone riding over 500 miles in one day. One does not have to be on an "IBA endurance ride" to cover more than 500 miles in one day. 500 miles is just a leisurely RTE. I can think of several occasions in the last few years in which that I've done over 1000 miles just getting someplace I wanted to be. Many of my friends have done the same and more. A distance-limit on my insurance would be a far greater hindrance than is the top-speed limiter in the ECU.

Glen

Reactions: Ironhorse1800

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
I'm not trying to argue here, but the IBA required stops every 350 miles or less is a joke of claiming its not endurance when your just stopping, filling the tank, taking a piss & maybe a snack & back on the road in under 20-30 minutes.
For those people doing IBA & other long runs, keep in mind "if" something happens & the cops/ lawyers find out you have been on the road for 15+hrs &/ 800+mi, even with 3 fuel/ piss breaks, they will find some code to site/ charge you under.
...and your law degree was from which institution, sir?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts