GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay -- it's click bait - kinda
I went out for an ice cream Saturday Evening and when I got back I noticed this ---

When it's leaking out of the lower nipple it's an indication of an internal seal failure :(

SO I spent Sunday putting in a new Final Drive - Luckily I keep a couple of spares on the shelf for just such an emergency

·
IronMan
19,347 Posts
I JUST DID MINE LAST WEEK WASNT LEAKING BUT HAD NEW ONE ON THE SHELF AND BIKES GOT 133,000 NOW PUT NEW BRAKES N DRIVESHAFT IN . LEAST YA GOT IT NOW WHILE AT HOME

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well spotted and a good catch there. Always easier to to that type of work at home.
It would have been a biggie to sort out 3 days into a week long ride.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
When I bought my 2005, I picked up a spare take off final drive. Over the years I also got a spare propeller shaft and alternator. With well over 100,000 miles on the bike, I had these items individually boxed and on my desk at work. I figured if I had an issue, I would have the office ship me what ever box overnight.
Well, for me I never needed to do that. But a friend called me from Idaho when his alternator failed. I sent the spare Alt to him Fed EX Red at 4:00 pm. He got it the next morning at 10:00!
So the plan worked! It's good to have spares on hand.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
@Wingsconsin looks like you stole my couch cushion... 🤣

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Wingsconsin looks like you stole my couch cushion... 🤣
Off an old This End Up couch ;)

TCLOCK, would of spotted that leak when it started.

Accumulation takes time. :rolleyes:

The drive (if original?) should be Silver. (an earlier change maybe?)
The best actual evidence of this leak is the spotting on the rear wheel - that's what I noticed first - I cleaned it off and took it for a ride of 45 miles-
Still dripping out of the nipple and hitting the wheel :(
THAT amount of accumulation occurred in less than 400 miles - I do not check the pressures every day in my tires -
I have done it so often I know the rate at which they may leak or I can feel a 3-4 lbs drop when riding -

Correct - it is not the OEM - it is a MODIFIED Final Drive I got in 2021 about 4500 miles ago -
Sent back now for a warranty inspection and rebuild (Henry is a stand up guy)

I like the black one as it matches the trim on my Orange bike -

My OEM unit is back on the bike for now so I can take a ride this week -- see ya'll in another 4500 miles

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just replaced both seals on my final drive last week. I had bought a final drive from E Bay a few years ago and decided to install it last Oct. The short story is it leaked oil. The pinion seal can be done without removing F.D. from bike. To make installing new seal EASY which is about 4" in dia., I used the 3 lug nuts spaced equally to push in seal evenly. I had to use washers to build up space between lug nut and seal because lug nuts bottomed out. Using a nut with the correct thread would be easier. It worked like a charm. The other seal which is located on the input shaft side was easy also but F.D. had to be removed from bike. It was a 4 hour job, but I had practiced messing with the seals on my original F.D. that I still had.
Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts