GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just venting: I had a dash icon light up yesterday. I had no idea what it meant. It was just one of scores of dash lights that I have no idea about. I've read the manuals, and I've looked at all of these lights and their accompanying labels, but after weeks or months, I can't remember what they mean when they light up. Sure I could carry the manual with me and pull over and look it up, but I don't. Just a thought--maybe I'll copy the relevant page(s) in the manual and put those in the glove box. Anyway, it turned out I had accidentally activated the cruise-control, and it was that icon that was lit. I'm not blaming Honda--my brain has turned to cold oatmeal, and my retention is nearly gone. Still, it's a problem when warning lights go off, and I can't remember what they mean or if they're serious.

I feel better now.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
My buddy has lost his retention. His Doc told him to wear those adult diapers.

On a serious note, the owner's manual belongs in the left hard bag under the rubber retainer strap. You may really need it some day.
On the bright side, at least it was not the parking brake light. lol

prs

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My buddy has lost his retention. His Doc told him to wear those adult diapers.

On a serious note, the owner's manual belongs in the left hard bag under the rubber retainer strap. You may really need it some day.
On the bright side, at least it was not the parking brake light. lol

prs
Thanks. I had no idea what the rubber strap was there for.

Although you could also use it to store some spare adult diapers.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Ah rekon dey cud come in rite handy...

I hit a big pot hole in the dark parking lot of a gasoline station convenience store. The left fork seal of my 2002 became Old Faithful. I was glad that store had some of those Maxi pads in stock and some duct tape.

prs

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get used to it my friend.... it just gets worse as you get older. I bought my first brand new bike last year, when I turned 60, but I'm afraid that I won't get to ride it long. Last year I was diagnosed with atrial fib (irregular heart beat) so the doctor put me on what they call beta blockers to try and control it. These drugs made me so fatigued that I had no desire to ride at all. I missed half the riding season as a result. Recently they changed my medication to an anti-arrhythmic. After only a few days I felt twenty years younger. This summer I hope my ambition and my back holds out. Along with my heart going south my eyes are failing too. I need progressive glasses to be able to see the road and read my speedometer at the same time. I had just gotten my Sena intercom, Garmin GPS and iPhone blue tooth system figured out for my old 2015 F6B. Then I bought this new 2018 DCT Airbag. I am still reading the manuals over and over again to get it all to work each time I ride. Spring will be a whole new learning curve trying to figure it all out again after not riding for four months.... Buddy, if remembering the icons is the worst of your worries I envy you. Think of it this way, it's like riding a new bike every time......

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get used to it my friend.... it just gets worse as you get older. I bought my first brand new bike last year, when I turned 60, but I'm afraid that I won't get to ride it long. Last year I was diagnosed with atrial fib (irregular heart beat) so the doctor put me on what they call beta blockers to try and control it. These drugs made me so fatigued that I had no desire to ride at all. I missed half the riding season as a result. Recently they changed my medication to an anti-arrhythmic. After only a few days I felt twenty years younger. This summer I hope my ambition and my back holds out. Along with my heart going south my eyes are failing too. I need progressive glasses to be able to see the road and read my speedometer at the same time. I had just gotten my Sena intercom, Garmin GPS and iPhone blue tooth system figured out for my old 2015 F6B. Then I bought this new 2018 DCT Airbag. I am still reading the manuals over and over again to get it all to work each time I ride. Spring will be a whole new learning curve trying to figure it all out again after not riding for four months.... Buddy, if remembering the icons is the worst of your worries I envy you. Think of it this way, it's like riding a new bike every time......
Wow--you've taken a couple of gut punches. Sorry. I hope you get it sorted out. I have so far--knock on particle board covered with a wood-like veneer--been able to resist the medication merry-go-round where they put you on something, then have to put you on something else to counter-act the side-effects of the first one, and then put you on something else to balance the effects of that.... But I know it's coming around.

Loss of mental retention (as opposed to the other kind, Pigeon Roost) is the hardest thing for me because until recently I was blessed with a nearly photographic memory. Which is now gone. It's like my photographic memory has run out of film. I used to be able to look at stuff once or twice and own it. Really unpleasant socially when you meet new people and two minutes later you have *no* idea what their names are.

I can't say how many times I've reread the 2018 DCT manual but can't retain how to activate certain functions. Forget the meaning of the various unlabeled icons. Having a reverse is useless if I can't remember the sequence I need to activate it.

Getting old is not for sissies.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank God, I'm just old, fat, and ugly :) Nah, I forget things as well and have had a series of serious health issues, take 9 pills every day, but I still love to ride. And, I have downloaded all the relevant manuals to my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro. Plus, I bought the service manual, and Fred H maintenance videos... what were we talking about?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ah rekon dey cud come in rite handy...

I hit a big pot hole in the dark parking lot of a gasoline station convenience store. The left fork seal of my 2002 became Old Faithful. I was glad that store had some of those Maxi pads in stock and some duct tape.

prs
Now there is a mental image that can't be unseen.

Reactions: joebarteam

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wow--you've taken a couple of gut punches. Sorry. I hope you get it sorted out. I have so far--knock on particle board covered with a wood-like veneer--been able to resist the medication merry-go-round where they put you on something, then have to put you on something else to counter-act the side-effects of the first one, and then put you on something else to balance the effects of that.... But I know it's coming around.

Loss of mental retention (as opposed to the other kind, Pigeon Roost) is the hardest thing for me because until recently I was blessed with a nearly photographic memory. Which is now gone. It's like my photographic memory has run out of film. I used to be able to look at stuff once or twice and own it. Really unpleasant socially when you meet new people and two minutes later you have *no* idea what their names are.

I can't say how many times I've reread the 2018 DCT manual but can't retain how to activate certain functions. Forget the meaning of the various unlabeled icons. Having a reverse is useless if I can't remember the sequence I need to activate it.

Getting old is not for sissies.

**** Jagger said it 5 decades ago, "What a drag it is getting old". @Mishnick

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just venting: I had a dash icon light up yesterday. I had no idea what it meant. ... Still, it's a problem when warning lights go off, and I can't remember what they mean or if they're serious.

I feel better now.
One icon down, 30+ to go. I think they have an online class for that! :wink2:

Reactions: gkarasik
1 - 20 of 37 Posts