GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Alaska in June going to cross over in Mont. and return through Seattle. What is the best route and must see as we head east out of Seattle into Idaho, Mont. then turn South east to Ok drop off one and then come east to Florida

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd recommend either going directly east to experience Glacier National Park or SE to Lewiston and catch Idaho Rt 12 to Missoula.
It seems to me that any direction from Missoula towards Oklahoma would be 'fruitful'...

AG GL

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you've got the time, take Hwy 20 from WA to MT and through Glacier. Only slightly faster and almost as scenic is Hwy 2.

If you're in a hurry, probably fastest route is 90/82/84 through Boise down to Salt Lake City, but you can hit some spectacular scenery in southern UT (Bryce, Zion, etc.).

While in WA, again if you've got a day or two, see Deception Pass (north end of Whidby Isl) and take Hwy 101 around the Olympic Peninsula and down the WA coast.

Carl

·
Registered
601 Posts
It depends on how much time you want to take. Coming from Seattle, I would recommend crossing on the North Cascades Hwy (hwy20?), then drop down to Lewiston, ID and cross on Hwy 12 - Lolo pass. It is probably one of the best motorcycle roads in the country. From Lolo, which is close to Missoula, you have the option of going north to Glacier National Park and going over the "going to the sun" highway. or going southeast to Red Lodge and going over the Chief Joseph highway and in to Cody, Wyoming. If you could do both, you will remember this route for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Bill Stobaugh said:
It depends on how much time you want to take. Coming from Seattle, I would recommend crossing on the North Cascades Hwy (hwy20?), then drop down to Lewiston, ID and cross on Hwy 12 - Lolo pass. It is probably one of the best motorcycle roads in the country. From Lolo, which is close to Missoula, you have the option of going north to Glacier National Park and going over the "going to the sun" highway. or going southeast to Red Lodge and going over the Chief Joseph highway and in to Cody, Wyoming. If you could do both, you will remember this route for the rest of your life.
I rode Hwy 12 while doing my 48 in 10 ride. I can tell you that I was IMPRESSED. It's a great ride. A couple of years later we rode the Going to the Sun highway in Glacier. Again we were impressed, but for other reasons (saw two Rams head butting when we pulled over at a scenic pull out). For just riding pleasure, it has to be Hwy 12 and for Scenic pleasure, it would be Glacier N.P. (even without the Rams fighting).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Taillights in IDAHO

I don't know why you're asking about scenery. You'll be looking right at my taillights the whole way. :lol:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont think so Shadow never look at tail lights always run lead unless I am running with Yellow Wolf nobody can keep up with him not even his shadow.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Listen to Bill Stobaugh, . . . . .

He is 100% correct! Gotta do the North Cascades hwy from I-5 area, then make your way to Lewiston, Id., to begin the gorgeous 120 miles of twisties along the Lochsa River to Montana. Then head for Cooke City to either ride BearTooth Pass or the Beautiful Joseph hwy to Cody!!

Listen to him, . . . . he knows what greart roads are!! I ride them often!! :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts