GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I have our motorcycles/trikes set up to utilize a Street Pilot III, a 2610, a 60csx or a nuvi 750. The only gps that allows me to have the elevation and the speed on the main screen while routing is the 2610. I want this information all the time without having to change screens to get it. I prefer the controls of the street pilot iii. The nuvi 750 is also a mp3 player. The nuvi fits in your pocket and also has a language translator. The 60csx has an excellent high sensitivity receiver. The 2610 does not have internal power. The nuvi is not water proof. Does garmin make a gps model that allows the speed and elevation on the main screen during routing and also is a mp3 player (highest prioity)? Preferably is water proof, internal battery and adequate controls other than touch screen fits in your pocket and has a language translator. Does anyone know how to hack the firmware of a Nuvi 750 to put at least the speed on the main screen during routing? Same thing with a Zumo 550 - can it be hacked to put the elevation on the main screen during routing? A retired garmin employee recently indicated to me the nuvi was the least likely gps to be hacked successfully.:confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Although it is discontinued, the 2820 is still available from various sources. It takes your 2610 and adds MP3, XM radio with traffic and weather, and Bluetooth cell phone connection. It is waterproof but still has no internal power and doesn't fit in your pocket any better than your 2610.

The Quest II doesn't have MP3 or Bluetooth but it is pocket size, waterproof, has an internal rechargeable battery and has controls similar to the 2xxx series. Unfortunately, the screen is small and it doesn't have text-to-speach capability.

Have you looked at any of the non-Garmin motorcycle-specific models?

·
Registered
117 Posts
What are some of the non-Garmin motorcycle models?
Thanks,

W

·
0 Posts
What are some of the non-Garmin motorcycle models?
Thanks,
Probably the best known is the TomTom Rider (now the Rider II). It is specifically designed for motorcycle use like the Zumo with left handed controls and is waterproof and vibration resistant. It even comes with the RAM mount in the kit. I don't know whether it displays speed and altitude while navigating.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've used TomTom GPS's for several yrs.... I use the TomTom Rider on my wing & TomTom 920 in my cage. I don't think the alt. is displayed. I just took a quick look at my owners manual & don't see alt. anywhere. Your speed can be displayed -or- hidden, your call. My previous GPS (Lowrance) would display alt. - again, if optioned.

Both have super-duper easy map/data upgrades via your pc.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I know I shouldn't do this, but I just gotta ask: Why do you need real-time altitude data on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Although it is discontinued, the 2820 is still available from various sources. It takes your 2610 and adds MP3, XM radio with traffic and weather, and Bluetooth cell phone connection. It is waterproof but still has no internal power and doesn't fit in your pocket any better than your 2610.

The Quest II doesn't have MP3 or Bluetooth but it is pocket size, waterproof, has an internal rechargeable battery and has controls similar to the 2xxx series. Unfortunately, the screen is small and it doesn't have text-to-speach capability...
Looks like someone want their cake and to eat it too! Start surfing the net dude. Nothing I can think of off the top of my hat does all that you want. Except for touch screen, MP3 and language translator, the Street Pilot II seems to be the best fit to your extensively list of "wants". I have one of those and also a 2610 and I really prefer the joy stick over touch screen. I sometimes have to take off my gloves to make my 2610 to do what I want. What a PITA.

·
Love The DCT
12,091 Posts
I know I shouldn't do this, but I just gotta ask: Why do you need real-time altitude data on a motorcycle?
I'll bite just for heck of it. Since he is from northern CA, perhaps he wants to correlate with the aviation forecasts and determine at what altitude the freezing level is. :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,745 Posts
I like the elevation to be displayed while riding in the mountains...it's just cool to know how high up you are. I also like it when riding near the sea...again it's just nice to know what the elevation is. I never knew how many places near where I live are below sea level.

With Garmins 27XX and 28XX models, they added some features, but also took features away compared to the 2610. I wish Garmin would make a GPS that works just like the 2610 does but was updated to the latest spec's. Until that happens I see no reason to get rid of my 2610.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The Quest II doesn't have MP3 or Bluetooth but it is pocket size, waterproof, has an internal rechargeable battery and has controls similar to the 2xxx series. Unfortunately, the screen is small and it doesn't have text-to-speach capability.

Have you looked at any of the non-Garmin motorcycle-specific models?
Thanks very much for the reply. So far I have been stuck on Garmins. Although I am very disappointed in the 750. But it only cost $199.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me safety is the utmost. Sometimes no matter how carefully you plan and predict things just don't come out right. In extreme weather cold or hot your safety is at risk. Altitude change sometimes is not apparent. Altitude change when the weather is already extreme can be the amount to get you out of trouble or more into trouble. Also I just like knowing my altitude while traveling around the country I really don't know why. I want it on the main screen so I don't have to screw with gps anymore than necessary. When going over mountains like Bear Tooth pass I enjoy comparing the gps elevation to the state elevation signs. I also look ahead and try to estimate pass elevations etc and then check to see how accurate my estimate was.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll bite just for heck of it. Since he is from northern CA, perhaps he wants to correlate with the aviation forecasts and determine at what altitude the freezing level is. :biggrin:
What does freezing mean? I often hear weather forcaster predicate freezing by elevation. Seems that was something long in my past when I lived in lived in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas, Utah, New Mexico.:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm sorry, but your 'ideal GPS' doesn't exist (or at least I haven't seen it)

You're probably going to have to compromise on at least one aspect or another.

The GPSMap family will allow you to customize the data displayed in the corners of the display and still uses button-driven controls.

It doesn't have an MP3 player or translator, but you can add XM radio to the 376/378/478 models.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry, but your 'ideal GPS' doesn't exist (or at least I haven't seen it)

You're probably going to have to compromise on at least one aspect or another.

The GPSMap family will allow you to customize the data displayed in the corners of the display and still uses button-driven controls.

It doesn't have an MP3 player or translator, but you can add XM radio to the 376/378/478 models.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a good prospect for replacing the Street Pilot III if and when it dies. I'd like to have the weather feature also.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
I have a 2730 that seems to fit your bill and I understand they are still avaialable as referbs -- won't fit in your pocket and I doubt actually water proof (Garmin replaced mine once due to fogging of screen). I like elevation to be displayed too, but my Zumo 550 (Garmin claims it to be waterproof -- I doubt it) seems to require a button push to display elevation, if my memory serves. Zumo is bluetooth compatible and recently that feature has really impressed me with addition of ScalaRider intercom/bike to bike sets.

prs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts