GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say that we are happy with our 2008 Airbag and it will hopefully be our one and only motorcycle for the next several years (we wish we have the money that some of you have, I saw and lusted over some of your man caves I’ve seen in pictures of your posts).

I’m starting this post only to give ideas that may somehow make it to Honda as ideas for any future Goldwing that may come out (2013 or later). I hope that this post will stay upbeat and friendly. I’ve seen and idea of yours here and there but I haven’t seen an entire string devoted to potential options as well as standard equipment (I don’t spend much time on this forum).

As we all know the 2012 Goldwing is only an evolutionary change; not much more than the changes that happed in 2006. This post is only to help Honda when they are truly able to come out with an all-new Goldwing (like they did in 2001, 1988 and in 1980).

I’ve seen this done on other Goldwing Forums (some of you saw the same posts). The difference is that this forum specialized in the GL 1800 so you have a different take on the situation (one theme I noticed on the other forum is that many wanted a smaller Goldwing in the future, essentially a 21st Century GL 1200 whereas I kind of like the power, size and handling of the GL 1800 and anything smaller would probably have many defecting over to BMW). I feel that the best way to go would be to keep the idea of equipment packages and add even more options. Have a baseline Goldwing with a price in the same neighborhood as the average Sport Tour bike and then have package options all the way up to the $30K range. There could even be a return of the Valkyrie for a baseline Goldwing. Here are some ideas I have; I’m starting with some that you have already discussed:

-Electric Windshield
-Electric Center Stand (note, first two options would be nice in the same option package)
-Bluetooth
-2000 cc engine (or so)
-Air filter that can be accessed easier than the current set up
-Hydraulic self-adjusting valves
-Adjustable handlebars (the current set up works for me but maybe not everyone)
-Adjustable seat (passenger seat sliding front to rear, rider seat up or down)
-Different wheel coating (chrome or powder coat although it will be interesting to see if the clear coat on the 2012 will stand the test of time)
-More storage area in the rear trunk (With the Wing Gear pockets and floor mats I’m barely able to get my wife’s helmet in the trunk when I give her a ride to work)
-GPS screen convertible to a radar picture
-Air compressor (wheatear or not they bring back air shocks, I was thinking about a hose for the tires)
-Factory equipped 12 volt socket
-Optional Fuel (maybe diesel, maybe natural gas)
-Automatic Transmission or CVT option (I wouldn’t buy it but someone might)
-Gear indicator (and if you can say you know what gear you are in all the time than you are a better rider than some professional riders I have heard in interviews)
-Factory Trike kit (I know, Honda has a bad taste in their mouths going back to the three wheeled ATV lawsuits but this still works for the made in Milwaukee brand)
-Sixth gear in very relaxed RPM (maybe 2000-2500 RPM at 70 MPH)

Anyway just a start to improve on what is already a great motorcycle. To reiterate, lots of options in lots of price ranges. Dreaming is free and who knows, maybe someone at Honda may read this and be enlightened. What are your ideas?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I like it, good job! I was thinking that instead of an electric center stand maybe an electric / hydraulic one

How about a hybrid Goldwing? Maybe give up some storage to pack in some batteries with a 1000cc engine.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Given the soft state of the world-wide economy and it projected bleak outlook for the (at least) short term future, I don't see Honda spending the 10's of millions of dollars to radically redesign the GW. Given the shrinking middle class, it is no wonder that this is what Honda is pouring it's future into:

http://hondajet.honda.com/gallery/index.aspx?section=EXTERIOR

Over 125 committed orders, with about 1/4 of them from individuals...

While there are diesel powered motorcycles on the world market, not of them have hit the market is serious numbers in the major markets. Too small and way too expensive. A motorcycle salesman said to me that once you get over $20G, the bike markets becomes a real small segment.

CNG: where do you put a cylinder of decent size to get a usable range? You are driving to CNG stations.

"Automatic Transmission or CVT option (I wouldn’t buy it but someone might)"...then again, they might not. Honda ain't gonna pour $MM's into anything unless they know it is going to sell. Tho they did drop the DN-01 on the market. Auto trans was tried back in the early 70's-no meaningful sales numbers (tho it was a pretty lame setup). The few that have hit the market have been poor sellers. Even the auto-shifters.

Real high tech. CVT hydraulic trans. 48 bhp. $15G price tag. Don't think that sold too well.

It all comes down to the numbers: how much to build, can we sell enough to make a profit? At what price point do the sales decline so rapidly that the product line is no longer viable?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not gonna happen.

If I was a motorcycle manufacturer I would just grin. The name of the game is to make a profit. As large as one can. This is the goal of any business.

For one thing the more I add to the bike , the more it costs, and the less of them I sell. So that is a no brainer.

As for accessories, it is my goal to manufacture and sell these accessories also, as a good part of profit comes from these add on features.

And what good is a 2000 displacement engine, why?? Keep the rpms up, ride the bike, and you cannot use the available power it has now.

Some like this, some like that, so adding cost with general included accessories does not make good sense. It is more to the advantage to the manufacturer to sell the accessories, and the aftermarket folks make and sell them too.
And the world goes around.

·
Registered
642 Posts
"Automatic Transmission or CVT option (I wouldn’t buy it but someone might)"...then again, they might not. Honda ain't gonna pour $MM's into anything unless they know it is going to sell. Though they did drop the DN-01 on the market. Auto trans was tried back in the early 70's-no meaningful sales numbers (though it was a pretty lame setup). The few that have hit the market have been poor sellers. Even the auto-shifters.

Real high tech. CVT hydraulic trans. 48 bhp. $15G price tag. Don't think that sold too well.
QUOTE]

I guess I might be one in that minority (as per your statement) when it comes to the new HFT transmission that's in the DN-01. It's the cats! The paddle shift is just like the new model corvettes, and smoooottthhhh! Prior to the wife just buying a New DN-01, I told her that our 93K mile 2002 GW (extremely dressed) would be here for years to come until I rode behind the HFT transmission, after I then said; "Until Honda comes out with the HFT in the Goldwings".

I do agree with you that at $15G on the DN-01 it was cluster .... on Honda's part but we felt comfortable enough at $8G. If anyone gets a chance, give one a try, just put it in manual mode twist the throttle and punch the shifter. You don't even have to down shift (unless you just have the feel to do it) it does it for you. If that's not your style you can use the "Drive" mode for highway cruising or as my wife uses mainly "Sport" mode for the twisties here in the Ozarks. She is always in the right gear!!

Come on Honda listen-up now!!!

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Let's take your suggestions and my comments for what they are worth(have a open mind/a bit of humor-

-Electric Windshield (not bad worthwhile would add weight)

-Electric Center Stand (note, first two options would be nice in the same option package)(never would happen,most people never use, lighten bike a bit would help old farts get the bike on the centersatand)

-Bluetooth(makes sense)

-2000 cc engine (or so)(more power is nice but at what expense weight)

-Air filter that can be accessed easier than the current set up(would be nice)

-Hydraulic self-adjusting valves(can't argue)

-Adjustable handlebars (the current set up works for me but maybe not everyone)(nice-but gimicky)

-Adjustable seat (passenger seat sliding front to rear, rider seat up or down)(nice feature)

-Different wheel coating (chrome or powder coat although it will be interesting to see if the clear coat on the 2012 will stand the test of time)(definitly required. This is the only bike Honda makes that pits the rims)

-More storage area in the rear trunk (With the Wing Gear pockets and floor mats I’m barely able to get my wife’s helmet in the trunk when I give her a ride to work)(to me larger would make this area too wide and I would rather see removeable trunk and saddlebags which for me would be the most desireable new feature)

-GPS screen convertible to a radar picture(radar is ridiculous, a 2012 already has live weather update with the xm weather subscription which is what I think you mean. More worthwhile is a thin Garmin 665 GPS that slides out and is programable ona laptop and on the move)

-Air compressor (wheatear or not they bring back air shocks, I was thinking about a hose for the tires)(-Factory equipped 12 volt socketadded weight( forget it-this aint a 1500 and this aint the 1990s)

-Optional Fuel (maybe diesel, maybe natural gas)( Smoking the pipe this morning?? Good old regular gasolene works fine. Don't believe Al Gore we have enough fossil fuel for the next 400 years)

-Automatic Transmission or CVT option (I wouldn’t buy it but someone might)(CVT is the future)

-Gear indicator (and if you can say you know what gear you are in all the time than you are a better rider than some professional riders I have heard in interviews)(stupid gimick dont need once you use the CVT option you will never miss shifting)\

-Factory Trike kit (I know, Honda has a bad taste in their mouths going back to the three wheeled ATV lawsuits but this still works for the made in Milwaukee brand)( no trike buy a convertible)

-Sixth gear in very relaxed RPM (maybe 2000-2500 RPM at 70 MPH)(pipe dream take another puff)

Anyway just a start to improve on what is already a great motorcycle. To reiterate, lots of options in lots of price ranges. Dreaming is free and who knows, maybe someone at Honda may read this and be enlightened. What are your ideas?[/QUOTE]

I would add develope a suspension that does not shake the rider to death or cause premature cupping

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The OP forgot one important feature - and cut the price by $10,000 but we all know that ain't gonna happen!:22yikes:

IMO, Honda has always thought outside the box a bit with their Gold Wings. Someday, we will all be blown away when the next generation Wing is unveiled as it will undoubtedly have features that nobody else has ever considered.

Patience, my friends! :coffee1:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Laen

Just an FYI: That HFT transmission in the DN-01 (when in manual mode) does have a 6th gear probably that same ratio in drive too. Also a gear indicator in the LCD Panel display displaying the mode or gear you or it has chosen for you. The display sort of reminds us of our Honda Aqutrax, shape fuel gage, tach, speedo, etc.

Do a rain dance down there, our place in Cass County is parched!!!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
-Automatic Transmission or CVT option (I wouldn’t buy it but someone might)
Of everything on your list, I believe this one is already a done deal. Without a doubt the new GW will have the dual clutch transmission from the VFR1200. Note that this is a manual six speed transmission, with gears and everything!. It is <not> a CVT as found on every other scooter/motorcycle and some cars.

Think more like the paddle shifters that control the manual transmission on a Porsche.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Whatever Honda does with the Goldwing, you can bet on a few things...

It will be lusted after
It will be bitched about
It will be compared to
&
It will be what Honda wants it to be...win, loose or draw

Next, you will be wanting a custom order form from the factory....

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
CVT's, auto-shifters and the like have been around for a long time in other applications, mainly agricultural, construction and heavy trucks with limited success. I suppose they could be used in a Gold Wing but the question I have is "why"? What advantage would they have on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the time and thoughts you have put into this.

I agree with those who feel Honda will only include those items that will keep the pricing where sales will happen. They will probably have, like now, three or four levels to buy and hope for post sales business. One minor suggestion is use a helmet bag and you will not need a mat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All we would be needing is a 6 speed tranny, To keep up with the rest of the
motorcycle world.

Seems to me that the 2012 have placed the controls on the lower panel to
keep your eyes off the road. One of the reasons why the GPS has no user
interface while on the go. I just don't get it.......:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well, as long as we are wishing, here are a few of mine:

1. Lose weight
  2. Move their "Zero Shift Technology" from the racing bikes into the Goldwing and improve the clunky transmission. (Note: ZST is not the same thing as dual clutch or CVT).
  3. Adjustable handlebars/footpegs.
  4. Interface to add 3rd party GPS and FLIR. Avoid built-in branded OEM.
  5. Top notch stereo system (e.g., Bose - I like my road music)
  6. SOTA, rather than 3rd-world, suspension.
  7. Easier maintenance access (lights, wiring, air cleaner, etc.)
  8. Standard ABS, DTC.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
CVT's, auto-shifters and the like have been around for a long time in other applications, mainly agricultural, construction and heavy trucks with limited success. I suppose they could be used in a Gold Wing but the question I have is "why"? What advantage would they have on a motorcycle?
Understand that a CVT, Automatic Transmission and Dual Clutch Transmission are three entirely different technologies that are not related.

DCTs have met with great success and has many advantages compared to a CVT, an automatic and even an old school fully manual transmission.

First, a DCT <is> a manual transmission. It is (simplified explanation) exactly like the manual transmission you know and love. The difference is the clutch is automatic. This allows you to shift much, much more efficiently which leads to much greater performance. There is a reason Ferrari, Porsche and BMW offer a DCT in all their supercars. It is all about performance. Imagine shifting in as little as 8 ms (500ms is half a second) with absolutely no possibility of grinding gears or missing a downshift.

Because (unlike a CVT or automatic) there is a direct mechanical connection between the engine output and driveline, the fuel economy doesn't suffer as you might expect. In fact, DCTs typically have higher fuel economy figures than CVTs or autos.

Since the clutch on a DCT is computer controlled, there is less chance (zero?) of operator error when shifting. That is why the new Goldwing will probably have a DCT. Less warranty work for Honda but at a higher cost purchase price for potential owners. The DCT is a $1,500 option on the VFR1200. On a Porsche it is about $7,000.

Take a VFR1200 DCT out for a ride and prepare to be amazed. It is nothing like the old Honda automatics or the FJR auto or any other motorcycle on the planet. Is a DCT for everyone and for every bike? Probably not, but for a luxury touring bike or performance sportbike it makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Understand that a CVT, Automatic Transmission and Dual Clutch Transmission are three entirely different technologies that are not related.

DCTs have met with great success and has many advantages compared to a CVT, an automatic and even an old school fully manual transmission.

First, a DCT <is> a manual transmission. It is (simplified explanation) exactly like the manual transmission you know and love. The difference is the clutch is automatic. This allows you to shift much, much more efficiently which leads to much greater performance. There is a reason Ferrari, Porsche and BMW offer a DCT in all their supercars. It is all about performance. Imagine shifting in as little as 8 ms (500ms is half a second) with absolutely no possibility of grinding gears or missing a downshift.

Because (unlike a CVT or automatic) there is a direct mechanical connection between the engine output and driveline, the fuel economy doesn't suffer as you might expect. In fact, DCTs typically have higher fuel economy figures than CVTs or autos.

Since the clutch on a DCT is computer controlled, there is less chance (zero?) of operator error when shifting. That is why the new Goldwing will probably have a DCT. Less warranty work for Honda but at a higher cost purchase price for potential owners. The DCT is a $1,500 option on the VFR1200. On a Porsche it is about $7,000.

Take a VFR1200 DCT out for a ride and prepare to be amazed. It is nothing like the old Honda automatics or the FJR auto or any other motorcycle on the planet. Is a DCT for everyone and for every bike? Probably not, but for a luxury touring bike or performance sportbike it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for the info and, yes, I'd definitely like to try a DCT bike.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I talk to a Goldwing salesman some time back that has sold GL for many years.

When ask when Honda will completely redesign the Goldwing.
His thoughts about Honda's cycle division is their very conservative and cautious Company.

Watch makes me wonder why, in this economy, they never tried to sell the Goldwing manufacturing segment before moving it back to Japan.

Who knows maybe they tried.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts