GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are thinking of going to Arizona when it turns winter here in Michigan
Just wondering if you guy's know where to stay in Arizona. What part of it.
And maybe you guys even know enough to where to stay like cabin or what ever ,it would be nice if had pool or hot tub .We are to go about 10 days
We are going to fly and rent a car
Thanks for any info
We I will probably go end of November

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts
If you're trying to avoid the snow I would cross Flagstaff off your list. I don't care where yolu are 7,000 feet is going to be cold in the fall and winter.

Sedona, Prescott, and that area are nice. But they are getting touristy.

Just west of Chino Valley (Prescott area) is a small place called Williamson. There is a community called American Ranch. A lot of houses and room. We have rented a house there for a week a couple of times. Never saw or heard anyone else.

If you search for Prescott or ChinoValley rentals you can find them.

I have to warn you that we are homebodies so if you want to go shopping, shows, or fancy dinner this may not work for you/

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing Anniversary Edition / 2016 GSX-R750
47 Posts
Prescott and Jerome are a little touristy, but still pretty cool/fun places to hang out, we spend weekends up there once in a while.
I also like the Pine/Strawberry area, we ride up there a lot, would love to spend a weekend up there.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're trying to avoid the snow I would cross Flagstaff off your list. I don't care where yolu are 7,000 feet is going to be cold in the fall and winter.

Sedona, Prescott, and that area are nice. But they are getting touristy.

Just west of Chino Valley (Prescott area) is a small place called Williamson. There is a community called American Ranch. A lot of houses and room. We have rented a house there for a week a couple of times. Never saw or heard anyone else.

If you search for Prescott or ChinoValley rentals you can find them.

I have to warn you that we are homebodies so if you want to go shopping, shows, or fancy dinner this may not work for you/
That sounds like pretty interesting info.
I am definitely will be looking into it
Actually the first thing came to head was Flagstaff, with out realizing it would be cold there Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prescott and Jerome are a little touristy, but still pretty cool/fun places to hang out, we spend weekends up there once in a while.
I also like the Pine/Strawberry area, we ride up there a lot, would love to spend a weekend up there.
Thanks you also for the information
I really am getting some good Ideas

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts
That sounds like pretty interesting info.
I am definitely will be looking into it
Actually the first thing came to head was Flagstaff, with out realizing it would be cold there Thanks
My mom lives in Chino Valley. One day we went to some indian ruins. It was about 95. That was in November. Then we drove to Flagstaff and got caught in a snow storm. I drove through there one December and there was three feet of fresh snow.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Here’s a bunch of info…..

I hope you enjoy yourselves and come back. You won’t even scratch the surface in 10 days…

If flying you’ll likely land in Phoenix….

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Jerome is good for a day visit... while we were in a restaurant one guy complained about the tourist crowding up his town. Turned out he had moved to Arizona about 8 - 10 yrs earlier. I explained that I was a native to Arizona since the mid 1950s.. If not for tourist that town would been a memory years ago. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,691 Posts
The Phoenix area is usually fun around January to March.....good weather, art fairs, Barrett-Jackson, Golf Open, Arabian Horse show and this year....the Super Bowl. All these events drive up hotel and VRBO prices in the area.
Cottonwood is OK.....decent hotels and several good restaurants....Jerome & Sedona are close by as is Prescott and Flagstaff. You could also try Bisbee, Tombstone and the Green Valley area in the southern part of the State.
If you could narrow down the date range, that would be helpful

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I hope you enjoy yourselves and come back. You won’t even scratch the surface in 10 days…

That is a whole lot of Great info to take in .I did not realize there was so much to see in Arizona.
Actually I was thinking of staying in one place but now I thinking of touring of the state did not know there was so much to see
But wondering if I can motel's every night

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok
My mom lives in Chino Valley. One day we went to some indian ruins. It was about 95. That was in November. Then we drove to Flagstaff and got caught in a snow storm. I drove through there one December and there was three feet of fresh snow.
Did you get motel rooms or did you stay in one place for time you was there

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The Phoenix area is usually fun around January to March.....good weather, art fairs, Barrett-Jackson, Golf Open, Arabian Horse show and this year....the Super Bowl. All these events drive up hotel and VRBO prices in the area.
Cottonwood is OK.....decent hotels and several good restaurants....Jerome & Sedona are close by as is Prescott and Flagstaff. You could also try Bisbee, Tombstone and the Green Valley area in the southern part of the State.
If you could narrow down the date range, that would be helpful
We are thinking the first part of December
Is Cottonwood in the lower elevation area where it would be warmer than Flagstaff
It looks like it would be more central located to stay there

·
Registered
636 Posts
I’ve spent 20 winters (4-5 months) in the southern USA, California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Often we just head south (driving and hauling my motorcycle) without any reservations or plans, and have never yet had to sleep on the streets or go hungry. I suggest flying to phoenix and go exploring a different area each day until you find what you like. The entire south is set up for winter tourism, motels and restaurants everywhere, just don’t wait until dark to find a room.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve spent 20 winters (4-5 months) in the southern USA, California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. Often we just head south (driving and hauling my motorcycle) without any reservations or plans, and have never yet had to sleep on the streets or go hungry. I suggest flying to phoenix and go exploring a different area each day until you find what you like. The entire south is set up for winter tourism, motels and restaurants everywhere, just don’t wait until dark to find a room.
Thanks, I think you made up mind I am going to just move around and explore

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Some darn good ideas have been given.
We are in Payson and we get the 4 seasons here but doesn't get cold and if it does snow it is heavy wet snow. It usually is gone in 2-5 days depending on the amount. You can get 6'' or our first winter here we got a 40+'' dumping but that was gone in 6 days.
We get the Valley people up here in the late spring, summer, early fall when it heats up down there. When we get snow they come up and are sliding down any hill they can find. Fun to watch those little kids sledding down the hills.
Lots of good places to check out down here in AZ. Heard Jerome has some haunted places but haven't been over there yet to check them out.
You can go south to Tucson, old Tucson, Tombstone, and Yuma to check out the old Territorial Prison. So much to see all over the State.
First time here maybe do the travel thing and motel it every night. Then you can check out different places for your future trips down here. Bring your Garmin or use your phones navigation. The traffic can get insane in the Valley so be prepared for that.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
We are thinking the first part of December
Is Cottonwood in the lower elevation area where it would be warmer than Flagstaff
It looks like it would be more central located to stay there
So...Arizona is a big state.

You'll be in lower elevations in the Phoenix...well, all of Maricopa County, where ~5 million of the 7 million people in Arizona live. I know, you're in a car, but still...

Weather could be fairly quiet in the early part of December, so you'll have plenty of choices. Recall that the higher in elevation you go, the colder it gets. You're also coming during our 'high season', because everyone loves to be warm in the winter.

My recommendation would be south and east (Tucson, Tombstone, Bisbee...) for some glimpses into the history of the state.

This may or may not be accessible in December...Monument Valley region

US-60, Pinal County, AZ

Might take a bit to narrow it down, but don't delay, as your 'snowbird' friends have already made reservations.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some darn good ideas have been given.
We are in Payson and we get the 4 seasons here but doesn't get cold and if it does snow it is heavy wet snow. It usually is gone in 2-5 days depending on the amount. You can get 6'' or our first winter here we got a 40+'' dumping but that was gone in 6 days.
We get the Valley people up here in the late spring, summer, early fall when it heats up down there. When we get snow they come up and are sliding down any hill they can find. Fun to watch those little kids sledding down the hills.
Lots of good places to check out down here in AZ. Heard Jerome has some haunted places but haven't been over there yet to check them out.
You can go south to Tucson, old Tucson, Tombstone, and Yuma to check out the old Territorial Prison. So much to see all over the State.
First time here maybe do the travel thing and motel it every night. Then you can check out different places for your future trips down here. Bring your Garmin or use your phones navigation. The traffic can get insane in the Valley so be prepared for that.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the the info you give me.I think I will just tour the some of state
And hopefully we find a motel every night, cross my fingers on that one

1 - 20 of 27 Posts