GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first let me start by saying that I recognize that there are more important things today than reporting on a problem and a motorcycle. I want to wish all the best to my brother and sister bikes friends on the forum stay safe .
Ok I’m posting this update on my idle hunt issue because I used the “Honda Accord pump change” thread along with some help from Fred Harmon and Techdude2000 via PM.
So I had the idle hunt since I purchased the bike it was subtle got worse as time went on. After changing the plugs still had it. filter was changed last year so I was left with either electrical wires, contacts sensors. I noticed the that my symptom was related to heat in some form or fashion the bike was running good not over heating but would hunt after restart when warm. One day I decided to start the bike after 5 mins or so and listen for pump action and opened the gas cap I started the bike and the fumes were visible and when I placed my hand next to the tank it nearly burned the back of my hand. I reached out to Fred Harmon via PM and told him what I discovered, he found it strange for the fuel to be that hot. He said that the pump might be overheating but couldn’t understand that the pump still working. I also check the flow from the return line and it was under the specification manual says a minimum of 4.5 oz after turning the switch on and off five time at 2 second interval for no more than 10 seconds. So I took the $63 chance and replaced the fuel pump with the help of this thread found the same pump number at O’Reilly auto parts that was my fix no more hunt when warm or hot!!!! Very simple instructions just take your time. link to thread Honda Accord Fuel Pump Replacement

Be safe all

Joe

·
Registered
20,686 Posts
Well my bike also suffered from the idle hunt issue for a couple years but I was unable to figure out what was causing it. Then one cold morning when I started it so I could ride 12 miles to work it would not idle at all so I had to twist the throttle in order to keep it running, I thought great maybe now I will be able to figure out what’s causing this. Well I never figured out anything but after that morning when it wouldn’t idle on it’s own at all the idle hunt issue suddenly completely disappeared all by itself And has never came back.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well my bike also suffered from the idle hunt issue for a couple years but I was unable to figure out what was causing it. Then one cold morning when I started it so I could ride 12 miles to work it would not idle at all so I had to twist the throttle in order to keep it running, I thought great maybe now I will be able to figure out what’s causing this. Well I never figured out anything but after that morning when it wouldn’t idle on it’s own at all the idle hunt issue suddenly completely disappeared all by itself And has never came back.
Very simple test the volume from the return line, under Fuel system Flow inspection in the manual a minimum of 4.5 US oz I got 3 ounces several times, along with the other fuel temperature indications no more idle hunt with smoother idle..... by the way bike has 53K

·
Vendor
16,068 Posts
Ok I’m posting this update on my idle hunt issue because I used the “Honda Accord pump change”
What volume results do you get with the new aftermarket pump ??? When doing the volume test on newer 5th gens with newer pumps, there is nothing weak about their fuel stream when doing the same test.

Your hot fumes are probably caused by the crossover fuel line between the fuel rails. It runs directly across the top of the engine. With the new fuel pump, under the same conditions, do you still see fumes ??? As with all parts, they begin to fail on day one, and as time passes, the pumps ability to pump lessons. Eventually, its inability to pump and maintain fuel pressure means that the pressure is to weak to the injectors and to weak to keep the fuel from being aerated.

On hot days, did your Wing suffer from fuel smell fumes after riding it ??? On hot days, does it have those now (the temp here may not be high enough yet to know) ???

Year and mileage is always helpful.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What volume results do you get with the new aftermarket pump ??? When doing the volume test on newer 5th gens with newer pumps, there is nothing weak about their fuel stream when doing the same test.

Your hot fumes are probably caused by the crossover fuel line between the fuel rails. It runs directly across the top of the engine. With the new fuel pump, under the same conditions, do you still see fumes ??? As with all parts, they begin to fail on day one, and as time passes, the pumps ability to pump lessons. Eventually, its inability to pump and maintain fuel pressure means that the pressure is to weak to the injectors and to weak to keep the fuel from being aerated.

On hot days, did your Wing suffer from fuel smell fumes after riding it ??? On hot days, does it have those now (the temp here may not be high enough yet to know) ???

Year and mileage is always helpful.
Hi Greg
The volume after the new pump installed was twice that of the original pump measured almost 7us oz. did it multiple times to clear the lines. By the way the original test was done with the pump and bike cold. Actually all volume test were with the bike cold. With respects to the hot fumes and the gurgling I understand that the 5 gen does that when warm but the temp was hot enough to almost burn my hand with the old pump on one occasion, that’s what lead me to take temperature... With the new pump still get fumes when warm but a lot cooler. I took temperature when old pump installed it was 120 degrees after sitting for 5 minutes with the bike running. Same Check now with new pump temperature was 98 at the tank with cap off all temperature check were with the bike running and cap off. There was a discoloration to the plastic where the pump wires connect inside the clam shell of pump. 08 level 4, 53K never got fume smells when hot never had a pressure sounds when opening cap... Temps in mid 80’s for all the test...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way I neglected to mention that prior to checking the temp that was hot enough to burn my hand that day I started out with a full tank of gas with Seafoam added to tank at 2oz per gallon of fuel rode a little over 100 miles parked in garage 5 minutes later check the tank... I could not reproduce the extreme temperature after that first time maybe Seafoam helped in lubricating pump some... but the volume test was done twice on two separate occasions after similar ride distances and similar ambient temperature mid 80’s with the bike cold next morning...

·
Vendor
16,068 Posts
By the way I neglected to mention that prior to checking the temp that was hot enough to burn my hand that day I started out with a full tank of gas with Seafoam added to tank at 2oz per gallon of fuel rode a little over 100 miles parked in garage 5 minutes later check the tank... I could not reproduce the extreme temperature after that first time maybe Seafoam helped in lubricating pump some... but the volume test was done twice on two separate occasions after similar ride distances and similar ambient temperature mid 80’s with the bike cold next morning...
Thanks for the info. If there was discoloration in the plastic due to heat, then the pump was too hot. However, if that is true, then there should be noticeable deformation to the plastic also. I'm not an electrical or mechanical engineer, but I've worked in the automotive industry long enough to know that when a fuel pump is designed, it is designed with the intent of a highly flammable liquid being pumped thru it. Meaning that they fail, but it would be unusual for one to fail and cause heat, since heat will cause explosion. Often the type of plastic used in our fuel pumps gets stain from fuel and other products people might add to their fuel. For example, you can see the color change at the arrows, and I've seen some housings look far darker than the orange ribbon that helps hold the pump. But I think you are saying that the darkness was more near the circled area. By chance do you have pics of the plastic that looks like it was damaged from heat, I'd like to see ???

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pump is metal mostly only parts that are not metal are the plastic where the brushes sit in and the connector housing.( I like to take things apart to see how they work and fail that’s why I broke the plastic) With respects to why the pump can live in a tank, as per my friend who is an electrical engineer says that the pump is submerged in gasoline and not enough oxygen for an explosion... that is why they are able to have a pump in a gas tank. I questioned how and why so that was the answer I got..... also when they draw to much current it should blow the fuse as well...

Joe

Attachments

·
Vendor
16,068 Posts
The pump is metal mostly only parts that are not metal are the plastic where the brushes sit in and the connector housing.( I like to take things apart to see how they work and fail that’s why I broke the plastic) With respects to why the pump can live in a tank, as per my friend who is an electrical engineer says that the pump is submerged in gasoline and not enough oxygen for an explosion... that is why they are able to have a pump in a gas tank. I questioned how and why so that was the answer I got..... also when they draw to much current it should blow the fuse as well...

Joe
Thanks ... that looks like heat to me also. You are lucky to catch it when you did.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Great post. Thanks for sharing the information. There are times when we never hear whether or not a problem was fixed and how it was fixed. It's good to get this kind of information.
(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts