GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening,,been away for a while lots of stuff going on.
i have 08 gl1800 7a,,254k miles bought it new..having issues with idle that i need help figuring out. idles either 1250 or 750ish...when in gear, clutch pulled it idles @ 1250ish in any gear..if i put bike in neutral at red light or wherever it idles where it [email protected] clutch pulled or not doesn't matter if in neutral. soon as i put bike in gear it instantly idles to 1250..if i disengage clutch in gear the bike runs @ 1250rpms....i been dealing with this issue trying to figure it out but no luck .....if anyone of you have ever heard of this or any idea what might be causing it??? any info would be very helpful and appreciated. i have serviced air filter and new plugs ,,no difference... i have tried everything i know to do...thanks in advance...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you tried an ECM reset ? Could work, can't hurt.

From a cold start, let the bike idle, without touching the throttle, until the fans come on. Shut the key off and restart. The ECM has been reset.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

From a cold start, let the bike idle, without touching the throttle, until the fans come on. Shut the key off and restart. The ECM has been reset.
yes sir i have seceral times with no change,,i do see that 93octane seems to help..not always but i do see a difference some times

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i have no codes at all,,never

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no codes at all,,never
my next step is probably replacing the IAC valve..dont mind spending the $$ just want bike back like its supposed to be

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the issue or the solution. But did a Google search.

Oscillating RPM's At Idle • GL1800 (2001-2017) Information & Questions • goldwingdocs.com

·
Registered
828 Posts
Your idle sounds fairly normal. When your 08 bike is cold and you first begin to release clutch (while in gear) the idle automatically speeds up, this helps prevent stalling. This has been discussed a few times over the years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if this is the issue or the solution. But did a Google search.

Oscillating RPM's At Idle • GL1800 (2001-2017) Information & Questions • goldwingdocs.com
Thanks Keith
That's a cheap fix/try next time I service Airfilter
Thinking back this may have started in the fall when things started getting cooler
Maybe when it starts warming up might get a little better...
I am running k&N filter...torque loops with open modified exhaust...E3plugs....
May go back to NGK plugs...installed E3 plugs last summer the other mods been running for 6years with no issues

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your idle sounds fairly normal. When your 08 bike is cold and you first begin to release clutch (while in gear) the idle automatically speeds up, this helps prevent stalling. This has been discussed a few times over the years.
This is true Clint..mine has always been like that..but the high idle in gear at normal temp just showed up back in October I think...but that is exactly what it acts like at all times

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What y'all think about the IAC valve?
Could it be the culprit?

·
Vendor
16,026 Posts
good evening,,been away for a while lots of stuff going on.
i have 08 gl1800 7a,,254k miles bought it new..having issues with idle that i need help figuring out. idles either 1250 or 750ish...when in gear, clutch pulled it idles @ 1250ish in any gear..if i put bike in neutral at red light or wherever it idles where it [email protected] clutch pulled or not doesn't matter if in neutral. soon as i put bike in gear it instantly idles to 1250..if i disengage clutch in gear the bike runs @ 1250rpms....i been dealing with this issue trying to figure it out but no luck .....if anyone of you have ever heard of this or any idea what might be causing it??? any info would be very helpful and appreciated. i have serviced air filter and new plugs ,,no difference... i have tried everything i know to do...thanks in advance...
I'd start by testing the clutch switch. With an ohm meter, open must be a definitive open, and closed needs to be 2-3 ohms max. If you wiggle the switch when it is open or closed, the results still either needs to be absolutely open or a max of 2-3 ohms when closed. A bag clutch switch can cause an irregular idle when shifting in/out of gear when using the clutch.

The clutch switch is the one that is pushed on when pulling in the clutch to start it in gear ... not the one that cancels the c/c.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check the clutch switch out. It could be the cause of idle issues.
I was thinking the same..
I have checked it but I do have access to a better ohm meter now...thanks for reminding me..I will check both switches tomorrow morning

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has
I was thinking the same..
I have checked it but I do have access to a better ohm meter now...thanks for reminding me..I will check both switches tomorrow morning
Anyone else that y'all aware of runs the E3s plugs?
Any issues?

·
Registered
324 Posts
+3 on the clutch switch. When you are in gear and let the clutch out, the rpms are increased. Your bike thinks that the clutch lever is always out, so when in gear, your idle is increased.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Has anyone tried the 2K resister hack? Hard to believe that this is still an issue today... on my 08 does it when warm after restart gassing up when it’s really acts up... open throttle a few times then it settle down...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone tried the 2K resister hack? Hard to believe that this is still an issue today... on my 08 does it when warm after restart gassing up when it’s really acts up... open throttle a few times then it settle down...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts