GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my idle speed seems to be set higher than it should be. The bike idles just under 1000rpm. It's a pain at stop lights as I have to keep the clutch completely engaged to keep the bike from lunging forward. My gas mileage also is bad. What is the idle speed of your bike and what can I do to lower mine?

Thanks in advance

I

·
0 Posts
I have noticed that my idle speed seems to be set higher than it should be. The bike idles just under 1000rpm. It's a pain at stop lights as I have to keep the clutch completely engaged to keep the bike from lunging forward. My gas mileage also is bad. What is the idle speed of your bike and what can I do to lower mine?

Thanks in advance
Idle RPM should be about 800 RPM. Sorry, I don't know how to adjust it.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
From the GL 1800 Clymer manual: Normal idle speed after engine is at normal operating temperature is 630 rpm. How to adjust it, I do not know.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
This is a similar problem that I had from day one on our '01.

After going through all the normal things like Cable Adjustment etc. I found that the High Idle, which was somewhat irratic, and very poor city MPG was due to a faulty Vacuum Controlled Fuel Pressure Regualtor. If this is your problem the easiest way to ID it is to have an Emmisions Sniffer Test done. If the Fuel Pressure is high due to a bad Regelator to Vacuum Leak the Sniffer will see a Rich Condition from Idle up to some RPM point where the engine can burn the Excess Fuel and start to Run Clean.

In my case the bike got really low MPG in town, in the 20's, but got 40-45 MPG at highway speeds.

This is only one of several things that could cause a High Idle Speed and I would suggest that you go through the Trouble Shooting section of the Service Manual with an open mind knowing that even Honda makes mistakes in their Trouble Shooting Details.

Over a period of a year trying to resolve the issue I found that the Automotive Emissions Experts know much, much more about how the FI should work and be tested than the Honda MC folks ever will incuding the Honda Tech Line.

If you need help with a proper Diagnosis Procedure see if Stu O. at WingWorld will help you out, he did with my '01. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had the same problem after adjusting my throttle cable-I mad it too tight and it really caused me alot of headaches.

To rest set idle just start cold and do not touch throttle until the fans come on and this will reset it. You can also disconect battery before hand and then proceed with the reset proceedure.

Patrick

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
How old is your bike? It is possible that the dealer never did the ECM reset when your bike was assembled. The ECM reset sets the idle rpm at various operating temperatures.

The tight throttle cable is a definite possibility. Easy enough to check. There should be just a slight amount of slack felt when you move the throttle from its rest position.

My tach also indicates about 800rpm, and it seems normal to me. Instrument cluster tachs are not very accurate at idle however, and should not be used as a troubleshooting tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts