GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new '07 has a grand total of 120 miles on it. Is it normal for the idle speed to not be steady? Mine sort of speeds up and slows down in neutral, not a constant speed. It isn't a huge difference, but is noticeable. Should it do this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine did the same thing when new. I think it pretty much quit now, I have 5k on it. Does yours smell like something is burning or hot?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
I would try re initializing the ECM. You start it cold, let it idle (Don't turn the throttle)until it is at normal operating temp then wait 90 seconds. This lets the ECM teach itself how to control the Idle air control valve for a steady idle. The dealer is supposed to do this during setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 06 Still does it a little. Not a big deal for me. It runs great down the highway. I think they all do it a little. Very few engines run with a perfect idle.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
CA_Dreamin' said:
My new '07 has a grand total of 120 miles on it. Is it normal for the idle speed to not be steady? Mine sort of speeds up and slows down in neutral, not a constant speed. It isn't a huge difference, but is noticeable. Should it do this?
There are very few engines that keep a constant idle speed. Computer controlled engines are constantly adjusting for the "perfect" air/fuel mix. Mine has 40k on the clock and it vary's maybe +/- 50 RPM. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does. This is not something to worry about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my 02 did it. my 05 does it. it's such small variation that i don't concern myself with it at all. now if the bike actually surged like a beemer, it would be an issue, but it the variation you and others witness doesn't translate into any kind of surging while under way.

having said that, if anyone's bike is surging while moving, i'd definitely say that's an issue that should be looked into. has never happened to me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
techdude said:
would try re initializing the ECM. You start it cold, let it idle (Don't turn the throttle)until it is at normal operating temp then wait 90 seconds. This lets the ECM teach itself how to control the Idle air control valve for a steady idle. The dealer is supposed to do this during setup.
Do I understand that you wait for the engine to warm up fully, and then merely let it idle for another 90 seconds? That sounds pretty simple, if you're patient enough.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
techdude2000 said:
I would try re initializing the ECM. You start it cold, let it idle (Don't turn the throttle)until it is at normal operating temp then wait 90 seconds. This lets the ECM teach itself how to control the Idle air control valve for a steady idle. The dealer is supposed to do this during setup.
He's on track here. When new mine would do a little searching at idle occasionally, but doesn't now. However like Techdude said here I reset my ecu using the same technique's after a mod I did. Terry

·
Registered
135 Posts
But do you have to do this every time you start the bike? If I start the bike and just take off does it reset back to the surging? I actually tried this today and it seems to be idleing better, but what about next time I start the bike?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
MHampton said:
But do you have to do this every time you start the bike? If I start the bike and just take off does it reset back to the surging? I actually tried this today and it seems to be idleing better, but what about next time I start the bike?
NOPE you are good to go just :D :D :D :D RIDE :D :D :D ...CHUCK

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
MHampton said:
No, I see no reason to reset it again unless it starts hunting for an idle speed again. I do out of habit let my bike idle down from a cold start fast idle and let the automatic choke step down the idle speed before I take off. Unless I'm just in a real big hurry. Terry 8)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Silverback said:
Do I understand that you wait for the engine to warm up fully, and then merely let it idle for another 90 seconds? That sounds pretty simple, if you're patient enough.
Many times after a ride, I just let it idle for a couple of minutes then shut it off, all without touching the throttle. That's all there is to it.

The urban legend says the engine has to be stone cold before you start it and that the fans have to come on... just not so. The service manual is silent on these two points. If you do wait for the fans to come on, it won't hurt anything and you'll be certain it's up to operating temp at that point. I know mine is up to temp after a ride so that's when I reset mine and I don't have to worry about the fans. You don't even need to shut if off... it'll reset itself at a long stop light as long as you don't blip the throttle.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
The reset shouldn't need to be done again unless you change the air filter, an engine sensor, plugs, or adjust the valves. Things do change a little with age, so it might need it again later on. I did mine when it was 2 months old and that was 2 yrs. & 3 months ago and still idles fine. :D

This is from the dealer setup instructions for a 05 bike:

19. Initialize the ECM.
The GL 1800 uses an electronically controlled
IAC (Intake Air Control Valve) to minimize
idle fluctuations normally caused by air
temperature and load variations.
Idle Speed: 700 ± 50 rpm
In order for the IAC to operate properly,
the ECM (Engine Control Module) must
be initialized.
Start the engine and let it warm up to normal
operating temperature.
Once normal temperature is achieved, allow
the engine to idle, without touching the
throttle, for at least 90 seconds. If the throttle
is operated during this time, the ECU will not
initialize properly and the process will need to
be repeated. Idle speed should stabilize at
700 ± 50 rpm. :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wanderer said:
...The urban legend says the engine has to be stone cold before you start it and that the fans have to come on... just not so. The service manual is silent on these two points. ....
:hun1: This has been discussed many times in the past...

In my '02 service manual, resetting the ECM from 'cold' to 'fans coming on' is at the top of page 5-78. They even show a picture of the "stone cold" temperature gauge! If you want to actually reset your ECM, read and follow the procedure. The engine should idle during this time, so don't touch the throttle between key-on and key-off. When it's done it has a map of settings across the entire temperature range of the engine, from cold to hot.

The section of "Engine Idle Speed" starts at the top of page 5-77, so start there if you want to read the whole thing. The page numbers might be slightly different on newer manuals, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
Wanderer said:
...The urban legend says the engine has to be stone cold before you start it and that the fans have to come on... just not so. The service manual is silent on these two points. ....
In my '02 service manual, resetting the ECM from 'cold' to 'fans coming on' is at the top of page 5-78. They even show a picture of the "stone cold" temperature gauge! If you want to actually reset your ECM, read and follow the procedure. The engine should idle during this time, so don't touch the throttle between key-on and key-off. When it's done it has a map of settings across the entire temperature range of the engine, from cold to hot.
I guess Honda changed the procedure. They do that occasionally, like the first oil change on 06 and up is 4000 miles or one month. The one month spec was added since 05.

Here's the "new and improved" EMC initialization procedure from the 2005 Service Manual, page 5-106:

Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
Once normal operating temperature is achieved, allow the engine to idle, without touching the throttle, for at least 90 seconds.
Initialization is complete when the idle speed stabilizes as specified.
ENGINE IDLE SPEED: 700 ± 70 rpm

Nothing about being "stone cold". Nothing about the fans. Nothing about shutting it off afterwards. Do it either way, they both will work. I'm just pointing out stuff that folks repeat, but isn't necessary.

I just thought of something. The old procedure may well be the way you must do it for the older ECM's. Your guess is as good as mine. lol

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wanderer said:
I just thought of something. The old procedure may well be the way you must do it for the older ECM's. Your guess is as good as mine. lol
So true! Sometimes things change. I still have my original '02 ECM and the bike runs so well I couldn't bring myself to let them do the 'upgrade'... so, for me I'll use the 'old' procedure should I ever need to.

However, for those that don't like how their bike runs or idles, I'd suggest to them that they try the 'old' procedure and see if it works for them... couldn't hurt!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wingsling said:
Mine did the same thing when new. I think it pretty much quit now, I have 5k on it. Does yours smell like something is burning or hot?
Nope, it doesn't smell hot. It doesn't seem to be doing it much now. Maybe it reset itself like another poster said the dealer should have done. Never can trust those dealers to do what they are supposed to :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
My new 07 hunts too. I tried leaving it idle without touching the throttle after a long ride. I left the fan cycle twice before I shut it off. I'll let you know if it helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts