GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I'm stupid for flying...I'd go up without hesitation. The celebrations this past year in honor of the 100 year anniversary of powered flight included several attempts to recreate that flight. One of the contenders was powering his rendition hith a nice shiny new Harley engine. I don't recall now how well it flew, but it did in deed fly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Harley airplane...

I saw a Harley powered airplane in the Wheels of Time museum in Maggie Valley, NC. They said that an 18 year old built it in his basement, and when he completed it, took it to the airport to look for a pilot. All the pilots said the construction looked great, but they wouldn't fly it. Story has it that is was flown once for a short distance.
By the way, if you are ever in the Maggie Valley area (off the Blue Ridge Parkway), be sure to visit this museum. He has an incredible collection of vintage motorcycles, and a lot of them still run.

:yw1:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would fly in a V-rod plane!

But actually I will always remember the words of the HD Chairman and CEO who said a few years ago "If you want a bike with a great motor, buy a Honda, nobody can build motors like Honda, but if you want a lifestyle you buy a Harley! Can you fly a lifestyle....I think not!

Humm, I think the Wing is a lifestyle with a great motor....hey whatever, what do I know anyhow! :shock:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Copied from the site:

Disclaimer
Harley-Davidson ® engines were not developed and have not been tested or approved for use in aircraft.
Harley-Davidson Motor company disclaims any and all responsibility
for damage or injury arising from use of it's engines in these aircraft.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
sure I would....surely cannot be worse than flying in a helicopter and being shot at...... :22yikes: besides, it is not the flying....it's the landing that is really really important.... :shock:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've read in a number of places, including "The History of Harley-Davidson", that Harley did make aircraft engines at some points throughout the years. 'can't vouch for the authenticy of those "facts".

I have read recently that Honda is testing their engines in airplanes at a Florida site. And how about the Yama-Hopper helicopter, now available?

I'm not fond of flying in anything, so IMHO if I need to fly, I want it to say Boeing somewhere one it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honda IS building and developing a new jet, I don't think HD is!
Would I fly a Honda?, I do now :D
Would I fly a HD?..............NAH! :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I flew a 1946 aircoupe for years. Had a clothespin holding the cowl halves together. So, yeah, I'd fly a Harley airplane. 'Cept I prolly wouldn't be able to afford it. :lol:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bike powered aircraft

Motorcycle engines in aircraft are not new at all. In my misspent youth, a couple of us bought a 1935 Aeronca C-3 (called a 'flying bathtub') that needed a recover job and some other work. The engine that powered that plane was on built by JAP (for James A Preston, I think) Machine Works, Ltd, in England, and it was designed for one of their motorcycle powerplants. They also built singles and V-twins.

A year later, we bought a 1937 Aeronca K with a blown engine, also one built by JAP but called an Aeronca E-113 engine built under license. We got it because we had a spare engine that came with the C-3.

Many of those aircraft were converted to more reliable C-65's for more power and parts availability.

So, a Hog engine would be a good one - parts are easy to find. Just follow one down the road....

Man, was this a while ago.....:lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
What kind of trailer does that fit in? :D :eek:w1:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Honda Airplane

There's a two-page article about the Honda jet plane in the latest isue of the HRCA's Red Rider Magazine with nice pictures. It is a 6-7 passenger jet. Looks cool.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here's hoping they have a different welder glueing the plane together.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The question is "If Harley built an airplane, would I fly in it?" The answer to that is not only no... but hell no.

The question SHOULD be... "If Harley built an airplane, would HARLEY OWNERS fly in it?" :lol:

It is always the owners that continually claim that there's never a problem... and all those problems are in the past.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I work for an airplane manufacturer and in truth, airframe manufacturing is amazingly low tech (notice I did not say airframe engineering). None of the major airframe manufacturers currently builds it own engines and most buy avionics from an outside source. Rather like the V-Rod. Next time major shooting starts, you can see hours of unpaid advertisements for our products on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and your local channels.

markie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts