GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a rally in memory of a fallen biker. There must have been 50 or 60 bikes there with most being Harley's and the rest mostly goldwings. Without exception, every time a Harley rider left the site, the throttle was racked to such an extent that you could still hear some of them several blocks away. So , I am assuming that the Harley warranty requires that the throttle be racked open when taking off. What really blows my mind is that most, if not all, the Harley riders that I have met face to face are good folks. But something seems to happen to most of them when they get on their bikes that makes them want to make as much noise as possible when accelerating. I have wondered if most goldwing riders would do likewise if the Honda had the Harley sound. I don't think so. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The sound

I would like to have both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For short rides, around town it would be fun to make a little noise but for a bulk of the riding, trips and two up, quiet is great.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if a goldwing had a lack of muffler and sounded like a harley........

i would be rideing a bmw for sure

i just took the cobra pipes off my wifes 1100 shadow spirit, that her harley brother talked her into. now its back to sounding nice and quiet again.

loren

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Count me in on whacking the throttle and making noise. There's nothing like the sound of a high performance Harley motor slamming through the gears.

What's funny is when I had my Harley , I could blow away just about any 1500cc Goldwing on the road at the time. I loved scaring the living sh!t out of "Wingers" when I would blast pass them at wide open throttle. I'd look in my rear view mirror and they'd all be pulled over by the side of the road cleaning out their shorts and re-adjusting their pacemakers.

Now that I have the 1800, I love scaring the sh!t out of Harley riders by sneaking up on them and blowing past them. All they hear is a swoooosh!

Paybacks are a b!tch though... Every now and then I get taken by surprise by a crotch rocket blowing past me at a buck 50.

Anybody that can't appreciate the looks or the sound of a Harley, Ducati, Triumph, Norton, or even an old thumper slamming through the gears, really needs to get a life.

You "Wingers" are funny people... you act like the Goldwing is the only breed of horse in the stable. I got news for you all... there are other horses on the trail, some are faster, some are slower, some ride smooth, some ride rough, some are loud, some are quite, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, they're all horses, and they're all fun to ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rodehard I agree to a point. Yeah they're all horses in the same stable but some are more fun than others. I don't enjoy loud underperforming bikes, be it Harley or whatever. For that reason I ride a Wing and a VFR.
Nothing like getting nocked down a peg or two when your busting along in triple digits and your mirror fills up with sportbike headlights as they whoosh on by, impressive. Here in HD country we have a whole bunch of loud bikes, Harleys and wannabe's, and to get back to the original thread I'd like the Wing and VFR to be quieter still. I'd love it to be stealthy quiet, so you couldn't hear it and and the radar couldn't see it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
my favorite memory of this ole harley vs goldwing thing was when i was out by myself with my 87 and i was riding along and saw a few harleys ahead so i wound her up and as i passed then i hit the kill switch for a few seconds the turned her back on and oh what a backfire lmao..well you should of seen the look on there faces when we got to the next intersection when we all stopped together..i got the thumbs up from them with a big grinn :clap2:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Once a person really rides a horse (real live breathing one) in the open country side, and absorbs the nature with quietness, then every engine noise is a step further away from peaceful cruising. GW is what it is, a lounge chair with wheels. I could care less about loud pipes. Really think if H-D kept the pipes reasonable, many more Joe Public would awe at the rest of the detailing done on them. Just my view.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Them open pipes give me a headache and make my ears ring and show absolutely no respect for the right to peace and quiet of everyone around them. It is a funny thing. The HD mystic or something, I doent know. Your right, good people for the most part, but get them on that bike and wow lookout. Lets go through town and terrorize everyone. It gives bikers a bad name or at least fortifies what many people believe to be true anyhow and that effect all that ride.

Does loud mean power, I hate riding behind them loud pipes. A few of the place bikers like to visit. (New Hope, Pa) My town Red bank, NJ for example will absolutely ticket you for loud pipes if you ride into town. New Hope stops all bikes and put a DB meter to the pipes. Makes sence. If I bought my home for 400,000 dollars and every sunday I had to deal with extreme exausts I would be very upset. It runes it for everyone and there is no reason for it.

Its bad enough I live near the GSP (our expressway) on sundays and saturdays the noise from bikes is unreal. Loud pipes save lives . BS if i ever heard it. Skill, knowledge, risk management, public awareness saves lives. Loud pipes just are loud and obnoctious and show absolutely no respect for others. Its just my opinion. My last bike was pretty loud too. I on several ocassion was asked why so loud. Its a personal decision but the loud really does effent everyone who is close by. They go bye the house the dog starts barking, baby crying. Well at 11 at night that effects me too. Try that 2 or three times a night and see how you like it. Then cagers go out on the road and show absolutely no respect to the people on bikes. Kinda of like, there you go As^%ole thats what you get for waking me and my whole family up five times last night. So it goes both ways. You want respect then give it.

If GW was loud I would be on a Beemer too.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Last time I stayed in Taos New Mexico, I was listening to the 5 oclock news, and the city council was proposing a ban on ALL motorcycles in certain sections of the city. Why? You would understand if you ever visited Taos. The Harley riders constantly run up and down the Strip with modified pipes and straight pipes whacking the throttle and making life unbearable for the residents. The residents are complaining and I don't blame them. It won't be long before other cities follow suit.

I don't care what kind of bike you ride, but you should exercise enough common sense that you can do it in a way that is not intended to irritate other people. Few Harley riders do this. Many of them take the stock pipes off as soon as they get the bike, and put on something much louder.

This type of behaviour impacts the entire motorcycling community and gives all of us a bad name.

Why can't Harley riders figure it out, Loud Pipes just PISS PEOPLE OFF. Or maybe they know that, and that is why they do it. Because they want to see just how obnoxious they can be. Sooner or later, this attitude is going to catch up with them. I just hope it doesn't ruin the entire sport before someone puts a stop to it.

How about a little common courtesy and respect for the rest of the folks that have to live on the same planet???

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like the quietness of the Wing, and the sound of some of the HD's. I live 5 blocks away from the highway running through town, and I can hear many of the HD's going through town....way too loud. Of course, the guy that lives two houses away must think that his stereo is built by HD. The local cops were knocking on his door at 11pm about two years ago, and he's tamed it way down.

About 8-9 years ago, when I was vacationing in Scottsdale (can you do that?), I rented a small Honda cruiser from a place that rented HD's, and the owner had put on some nice sounding pipes on all the non-HD's, and it sounded great; not loud like the HD's, but not real quiet either.

My 58 Chevy has dual glass packs on it, and I get on it every now and then to hear the pipes, but with normal driving, it's quieter than a lot of stock systems. I think many HD riders just don't get it; as Fred said, it will catch up eventually.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just love riding! I feel fortunate that I discovered the Goldwing.
What I don't love is anyone who judges the entire person by the bike they ride.
If I was stranded on the side of the road I would not care what the good samaritan was riding. I would just be thankful that he/she had the descency to help out a fellow human being.

mike

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
"There's nothing like the sound of a high performance Harley motor slamming through the gears."

I didn't know they made such a thing. To me, (and most non-Harley folks), the sound of a 58 horsepower Harley with open pipes is not the sound of high performance. It sounds like an old Buick big block with a bad muffler. It doesn't scare the crap out of most people, it just pi**es them off, which is probably the intent. If only Harley guys with open pipes really knew how much people laugh at them..........

To answer the original question, If the Wing sounded like a Harley, I would own a Yamaha.

Larry
Independence, Ohio

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Fred...did you post that twice for the ones with dual pipes? :lol:

·
Registered
684 Posts
There's nothing like the sound of a Norton Commando, with stock exhaust, coming up the street....that was music to my ears, back in the day.

Open Harley exhaust is the reason they put electric windows in cars... you can roll more than one up at a time...!

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
You know, the same thing could also be said for some of us Gold Wing owners that ride around with our stereos turned up real loud so we can hear them with a helmet on.

Many on this very board have even upgraded the speakers and added an additional amplifier to boost the volume. Ever heard one of these bikes going down the road? It may not be quite as loud as the pipes on a Harley, but it isn't far behind.

My advise is that if you want to listen to music on a bike, install headsets in your helmet, so everyone else doesn't have to listen to it too. It also sounds better anyway. Personally, I don't think speakers even belong on a motorcycle. They are pretty much useless at anything over about 45mph anyway. The only time I have ever found mine usefull was when I am working on the bike in the garage and wanted to listen to music.

·
Registered
260 Posts
One: A stock Harley does not sound bad at all. My neighbors "Fat Boy" sounded quite nice. A little louder than my Wing, but not bad at all. Its the aftermarket pipes!
Two: If all communities would only enforce the sound ordinances we would not have a problem with loud pipes. Car or Bike!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
"If Honda had the Harley sound, would you - - -"

I would never buy one. I'd be riding a BMW.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts