GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I disconnect my built-in GPS will I get all the other information on the screen back?? Right now, with the screen blank, I can't know what radio station or CB channel I'm on, or any volume control indicator I have no odometer or trip meter and the list goes on.
My wing is a level 3 '07 with 162000 miles

·
Registered
206 Posts
The answer is NO, all those functions stop working. Has to be plugged in even if there is no CF card in the slot. Know from my own experience trying to get my GPS working.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
"If I disconnect the OEM GPS will my screen work"?

The answer is yes, all those functions stop working. Has to be plugged in even if there is no CF card in the slot. Know from my own experience trying to get my GPS working.
Then maybe the answer is "No"?:shrug:

prs

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing the answer is the screen doesn't work if the GPS unit is not plugged in?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I'll add a half azz guess also. My screen started messing up when it was cold and I had no functions at all and the fix for the problem was a new GPS under warranty. No problems since so I would guess if you unplug it everything will go away.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll add a half azz guess also. My screen started messing up when it was cold and I had no functions at all and the fix for the problem was a new GPS under warranty. No problems since so I would guess if you unplug it everything will go away.
Thanks for the response. My warranty ran out in Dec. and I'll bet that unit is pricey. I'll see if I can borrow one to try out first

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Borrowed a working GPS unit and installed in my bike and still no working screen. Thought that would do it but back where I was. Will re-check the harness again for a short. What a PITA

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
According to the parts list I looked up it is $308 and is plug and play. Biggest pain is if you have XM radio you have to get them to change the account and resend the signal. Also you will lose all your presets and saved routes. Just a heads up.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Check your power lines and the ground at the nav unit. Power should be on pins# A10, A20, and ground is on pin #A19. A10's power should be there all the time whether the key is on or off. A20's power is there with the key on. If you find either power missing, check your fuses first. If the fuses are OK, you may have a bad connection in the harness at a junction connector.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your power lines and the ground at the nav unit. Power should be on pins# A10, A20, and ground is on pin #A19. A10's power should be there all the time whether the key is on or off. A20's power is there with the key on. If you find either power missing, check your fuses first. If the fuses are OK, you may have a bad connection in the harness at a junction connector.
I'll check the power lines again tonight. Are any of the relays connected to the gps?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:cry: CRAP!!!
I just had a chapter member come over and I helped him change the oil on his '08.
While we were waiting for his oil to drain, I took his meter panel off and installed it on my bike. My GPS worked fine. So now I'm thinking new LCD screen for about $1400 should fix my problem.
Weird though. The GPS screen started up with my welcome screen but then the odometer and trip meter readings were his information.
Now I'm thinking I should have taken his LCD out and put it in my meter panel to be sure it was narrowed down to only the LCD.
At least now I know my wiring harness and GPS unit are OK

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Techdude. thanks again for your input. I did check pins A10, A20 and A19 and all was OK before I did the meter panel swap:bow:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I'm guessing that when you returned your meter panel back to your bike it was still broke?
Yes. It still didn't work. I tried my meter panel on his bike too and it didn't work there either.
Am I correct to assume it's the LCD or should I try another LCD in my meter panel?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
It could be the LCD or the ECU that runs it. Did this start off intermittently and got worse or did it just quit without warning? If it started off intermittently, then it may be a bad connection in the assembly that has gotten worse. If you want to send it to me, I'd be glad to look it over for solder connection issues. I do surface mount troubleshooting and soldering everyday at work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It could be the LCD or the ECU that runs it. Did this start off intermittently and got worse or did it just quit without warning? If it started off intermittently, then it may be a bad connection in the assembly that has gotten worse. If you want to send it to me, I'd be glad to look it over for solder connections issues. I do surface mount troubleshooting and soldering everyday at work.
Any help you can offer at this time would be greatly appreciated. I will be away for about 10 days but would love to accept your offer to check it out when I return, if it's convenient for you at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts