GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my first C/T a non run flat Dunlop. Has been a good tire with 23k miles to date. My next tire will be a Kumho. Question is if I get a flat with this non run flat on the highway will I be able to get bike on kickstand???

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I'm on my first C/T a non run flat Dunlop. Has been a good tire with 23k miles to date. My next tire will be a Kumho. Question is if I get a flat with this non run flat on the highway will I be able to get bike on kickstand???
I did on both 05 & 08. 08 easier because it's higher due to upgraded suspension :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Take the valve stem out in your garage on the sidestand and see if you can put it on the center stand by yourself?.That way you will know before you get a flat.:thumbup:

Anymore questions.LOL:doorag:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Take the valve stem out in your garage on the sidestand and see if you can put it on the center stand by yourself?.That way you will know before you get a flat.:thumbup:

Anymore questions.LOL:doorag:
:lol::thumbup: it's Friday :yes1:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
yes it is, hot diggity dang do
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
No flippity flap mumbo jumbo here!:thumbup::thumbup::lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice. Had a flat a few years ago on a turnpike & was unable to put on sidestand. This however was a m/c tire. Ended up laying bike over on crash bars till tow truck arrived & driver helped me upright bike to load on flatbed.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I just hope that Non-Rf goes flat slowly and when you're riding it slowly.

When you have it flat in your garage, take it out for a spin and see how well you can control it with no air. :eek:4:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I believe what trialsman is trying to say is.a non RF's sidewalls aren't near as stiff as a stock MT or a RF.
Some are stronger than others mind you.But a real test as to what it will feel like is if you test it yourself,and not listen to what others might guess at.

You raise a good point on being able to put the bike on it's side stand with a flat (no air in the tire).
Some bikes have more lean on a side stand than others,I'd test out what you described with a friend standing on the right side of the bike when you let all the air out.just in case it won't stand up like you found with that MT.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Heres all your ever want to know about riding non run
flats with no air in them. :thumbup:

PS: Sorry about the dumb azz's with their know nothing
comments in the thread.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251520

ENJOY"

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hey" Dan" pass some of the popcorn over here, it's
about to get real intertaining around here in a hurry"

LOL"LOL" ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hey" Dan" pass some of the popcorn over here, it's
about to get real intertaining around here in a hurry"

LOL"LOL" ;)

Oh, yeah, no doubt!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Me, me, me, I need popcorn :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I cannot get the big beast up on the center stand if the tire is flat. No way. I will push a hole in my boot and rip off the passenger hand grip , that bike is not going to cooperate.

As for the most truthful answer I have about a flat with a non run flat, you are if just a flat, pretty safe. A flat is a flat is a flat and a nail in the tire will not instantly deflate and so far I am pretty sure no non run flat has ever blown out ..........so in that respect it is safer than a round tire.

The main thing with any sudden situation with any tire is to not panic and not hit the brakes just let the bike roll and gently guide it to the side of the road.
If you hit the brakes and panic, that is what will get you.

First instinct is to hammer the rear brake , do not do that. It will ball the tire up and fishtail the bike and .......there ya go.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
He asked about kick stand guys not center stand. Or did misread something. I never tried flat tire center stand. ..yet .maybe tomorrow ? I would think it could be done :shrug: I assumed he was talking about bike tipping over really . Maybe my bad , been lots of them this week ,must be moon not in line with something !

·
IronMan
17,802 Posts
when it tips over help it with a good push so it goes all the way over to other side then you can change it be a little tough on bike though lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
Heres all your ever want to know about riding non run
flats with no air in them. :thumbup:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251520
Hadn't run across that thread before, so it was found to be good reading, especially the speculation regarding bias vs. radial with a car tire. So I'm going to resurrect that thread with a post on that subject rather than hijack this one. Your comments would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts