GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're visiting our daughter in Syracuse for Christmas. Last night we left her house and headed toward the airport hotel. I was on route 31 in Moyers Corners. It was dark and pouring rain. 31 is a four lane highway with at grade intersections. A car came out of a side street without stopping, and stopped, broadside in front of me. There were cars in the lane to my left. I smashed the brake to the floorboard, spun completely around and threaded the needle backwards between the stopped car and the ones in the left lane. Cars behind me, skidded off the road onto the shoulder and into the grass. The guy who caused it all, just drove away.

If I had been on the Goldwing, I would not be writing this. Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Sometimes it is just better to be in your cage!

Glad that you made it thru even though you did it the hard way....backwards!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Jan,

Sure am glad you got to tell us about it.

CHIT sometimes happens and there is not any way we can control the outcome. Glad you were able to react quick enough to avoid any real trouble.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Ross

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Glad your able to still be with us too! All the Best in the New Year.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jan,

I thought that we sent all of our bad NY drivers to FL, for the winter. Guess not...LOL

Glad that you are undamaged and not all the worse for wear.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

Jan,
Glad ya got yer Joey Chitwood grad certificate from stunt driver school. :wink:
Ya went back up into Yankee Land in the Winter, that is a serious NO-NO, the folks up North need to come down to see ya, it's a breech of nature and all the "Dharma Karma" stuff, I only venyure North in the more suitable months of May thru August. :wink: :lol:
The chances of snow or freezin' rain is at a minimum at that time of year plus it seems like Yankees are more relaxed and not "drivin' on top of the wheel" durin' that time frame also. :lol:

Glad yer here and able to share with us. 8)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Jan......you've never told of of your other career as a stunt driver! :)

Glad that worked out well. You just never know where the boneheads are on the highways....until they make themselves known!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was dark and pouring rain. 31 is a four lane highway with at grade intersections. A car came out of a side street without stopping, and stopped, broadside in front of me. There were cars in the lane to my left. I smashed the brake to the floorboard, spun completely around and threaded the needle backwards between the stopped car and the ones in the left lane
Ideal situation and conditions for ABS.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
We're visiting our daughter in Syracuse for Christmas. Last night we left her house and headed toward the airport hotel. I was on route 31 in Moyers Corners. It was dark and pouring rain. 31 is a four lane highway with at grade intersections. A car came out of a side street without stopping, and stopped, broadside in front of me. There were cars in the lane to my left. I smashed the brake to the floorboard, spun completely around and threaded the needle backwards between the stopped car and the ones in the left lane. Cars behind me, skidded off the road onto the shoulder and into the grass. The guy who caused it all, just drove away.

If I had been on the Goldwing, I would not be writing this. Merry Christmas to all.
Dang!! glad your okay. I have a friend that lives about ¼ of a mile away. South on RT-57 ( Oswego Rd ) :shock:

t seems that NY'ers are getting much worse at driving. Courtesy has gone the way of the Do-Do bird :oops:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
damn! good to read the incident ended as well as it did...

we had a SMF idiot perform a stunt on the freeway a few years back while it was raining. The ABS on the F-150 truck worked great as I steered around the SMF also missing other folks as they moved too... this flip happens so fast

:sparkplug:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Jan...so you come to Syracuse, and don't call? :)

Make it to the Dinosaur?

Ken

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Jan,
I've driven through there a gazillion times to bring my son to the Lysander rink to play hockey... The traffic is awful and I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Dave

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
good thing u were not pulling a trailer, that stuff sure happens quick, great to hear no one was hurt

·
Registered
601 Posts
Are you sure you're not a retired astronaut? Seem they used to do things the hard way - coming in backward at about 17,000 miles per hour.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Safe and sound

Jan,

You would have still been here. Glad no one else was hurt. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd have to agree with you about the probable bad result if you had been on the Wing. Glad no one was hurt. So how did your body react after this situation. Did you have the shakes and/or the pounding sensation throughout your body?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hardway said:
I'd have to agree with you about the probable bad result if you had been on the Wing. Glad no one was hurt. So how did your body react after this situation. Did you have the shakes and/or the pounding sensation throughout your body?
You know, it's funny you should ask that question. I know what you are asking. Normally the whole adrenaline thing kicks in and you get the shakes and all that stuff. After this incident, I kept thinking about how close we came to biting the big one. Thoughts of what might have happened......that call or visit by the police to my daughter and her family. Five minutes before that we were hugging and kissing our grandchildren. I also thought about why we were spared and so many others aren't. I had only a mild case of the shakes. I wasn't even really angry with the guy. I guess I was just soooooooooo thankful that this was not our time and that God guided me thought this. It's possible too that it happened to fast, and in such slow motion that it didn't register.

I am also supremely thankful that I do not drink alcohol, because if I had been drinking, the outcome would have been different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts