GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newish wing owner.... bought 2010 used from a forum member.

Like most all wingers... I can't leave well enough alone...so I did a little research and found a speaker upgrade. I researched my little fanny off and felt I knew it all.... so I bought the Polk speaker upgrades...

Polk DB501's for the rear.
Polk DB 651s for the front.

Everything is staged in my garage operating room... ready to install, tweak and adjust to my hearts content. Then I read a forum member's post!

"If I knew then what I know now, I never would have upgraded". I might have the exact words wrong, but I think I captured the sentiment. Seems the DB 651 speakers require a bit more power to achieve "stock" volume levels... I typically ride at 14-15-16 depending on the tunes I'm listening too.

Soooooo. I am rethinking my planned upgrade.

Here is my question. What is the sound difference between stock ( on the 06-10 stereo) with Polk speakers installed. Is it better, is it worse, is it worth the change?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ciao

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if I knew

Steve thanks for the input....

My real question is too those that have done the mod... and have real world experiences.... I am hoping for a significant improvement in sound quality, listening pleasure and any other benefit I can get.

If the mod is not much better than stock... then I will return the speakers and look for the next " must have upgrade"

Thanks

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Ed;

You might want to contact LarryM. His expertise is pre-2006 Wings (I think), but he knows these speakers and GW audio technology very well. From all the work he has done on Gold Wings radios and speakers (mostly pre-2006), he still might have some valuable insights to share. He upgraded my radio and installed Polks all the way around, and the sound is great! But we're dealing with a 2004 Wing which has older technology than your bike.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
are there any after-market amps available for the wing? That might be an avenue to think about, if the speakers require more power to drive them.

New speakers......more watts.......could be fun ! ! ! !

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Ok for a real answer I did it and the mod is worth it
True its lower volume but better quality
that is until I shot myself in the foot and pulled my J&M mp3 player and went to a crappy Ipod adapter Now going back!!!!
that's on an 08
pre 06 I don't think would be worth it as speakers are much smaller and you'd need to add a power amp

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I knew????

CCSailor

You are the guy I want to talk to.....

Better Quality.... but needs more volume. Until I shot myself in the foot....!!!!

I have the Ipod interface from Soundgate installed..... will that enter in the equation??

Would you keep your speakers or remove them????"

thanks
Ciao

·
Registered
286 Posts
On my '06 i did the exact same upgrade (mainly because I put my thumb through one of the OEM's :oops:) and to be honest, I didn't notice much difference. I agree with CCSailor though that the sound quality is better. I do find myself often running it at 20-max at speed. But I like it loud and I do wish it could go louder.

Amp?

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
LarryM is the radio expert. Ask him

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I never thought the quality on the 2010 sound system was bad enough to justify upgrading. I hope to meet someone in person that has done it to be able to make a comparison for myself.

edarnold, if you would be so kind as to let us know what your conclusion is when you have done the install.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
These things have radios? :22yikes:

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
pre 06 I don't think would be worth it as speakers are much smaller and you'd need to add a power amp
Actually, with LarryM's radio upgrade it's well worth installing Polk's on pre-2006 Wings. His radio improvement doubles the radio output, and a set of Polk's (or others) can handle this improved output better than stock pre-2006 speakers.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
CCSailor

You are the guy I want to talk to.....

Better Quality.... but needs more volume. Until I shot myself in the foot....!!!!

I have the Ipod interface from Soundgate installed..... will that enter in the equation??

Would you keep your speakers or remove them????"

thanks
Ciao

The soundgate is what I'm pulling out
Dunno if its just the one I bought but the quality is muddy compared to the J&M also the sound level is lower yet..
Too bad cuz I like the ipod way of managing your music better Plus you can have way more tunes
It has been mentioned to upgrade the size of the amp yet again but I am already very loud so whats the point?
Any one have an MP3 of a straight pipe harley???
love to play that while sitting beside one at a light!!!!!:roll::lol::joke:

West winger has an 03 so his system is different

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ed,

This is not what you're lookin for, I'm sure...

If your goal is listening pleasure, why are you even messing with the Wing's speakers? You should be "upgrading" to headsets. Better sound, MUCH less wind noise, and less obnoxious to the world around you.

I went from an open face helmet to a 3/4 helmet to accomodate headsets. A bit warmer in summer, to be sure, but MUCH more "listening pleasure".

There are plenty of options comparable in price to your speaker upgrade. For instance, I use Scala Rider Q2 headsets for iPod, intercom, and bike-to-bike. Price: approx $300. J&M are pricier. Also, 10 min install in your helmet. :thumbup:

Somethin' to think about.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Ed,

This is not what you're lookin for, I'm sure...

If your goal is listening pleasure, why are you even messing with the Wing's speakers? You should be "upgrading" to headsets. Better sound, MUCH less wind noise, and less obnoxious to the world around you.

I went from an open face helmet to a 3/4 helmet to accomodate headsets. A bit warmer in summer, to be sure, but MUCH more "listening pleasure".

There are plenty of options comparable in price to your speaker upgrade. For instance, I use Scala Rider Q2 headsets for iPod, intercom, and bike-to-bike. Price: approx $300. J&M are pricier. Also, 10 min install in your helmet. :thumbup:

Something' to think about.
Don't believe in headsets
hearing something is an integral part of riding safe!!!
I can play my outside speakers and still hear what's going on around me Turning off one your senses is just asking for it

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Don't believe in headsets
hearing something is an integral part of riding safe!!!
I can play my outside speakers and still hear what's going on around me Turning off one your senses is just asking for it
I am almost deaf in one ear and can still hear the outside world with the headsets so that don't wash, jmho,ymv

1 - 20 of 27 Posts