GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use Waze on Carplay because of speed detect, cop detect and accuracy. I went out the other day and decided to configure the Honda Navi for a quick ride. After a few miles, I noticed that if I listened to the mapping system, I would have been in someones living room, a lake or off the side of the bridge. The Navi system told me to turn way before I should have on almost every turn. I was thinking of Michael Scott on the office when he went into the lake because he listened to the GPS
Thats the last time it will be used on my bike. I would rather ride blindfolded

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Lately I've been having bad luck with Google Maps and Waze telling me to turn so early that there are two or three options BEFORE I get to the turn I'm supposed to make. Very distracting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've always been pleased with the performance of the Garmin stand alone GPS receivers and the Garmmin support of them. Because of that, I've stayed away from the Honda Corporate navigational systems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I usually use Waze on Carplay because of speed detect, cop detect and accuracy. I went out the other day and decided to configure the Honda Navi for a quick ride. After a few miles, I noticed that if I listened to the mapping system, I would have been in someones living room, a lake or off the side of the bridge. The Navi system told me to turn way before I should have on almost every turn. I was thinking of Michael Scott on the office when he went into the lake because he listened to the GPS
You just need to ride faster. 😀

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've always been pleased with the performance of the Garmin stand alone GPS receivers and the Garmmin support of them. Because of that, I've stayed away from the Honda Corporate navigational systems.
I believe Garmin makes the GL1800 units ... correct?

The GPS on my bike is slow, tenuous, and reminds me of the nav system in the movie Apollo 13, but I like it well enough to use it. I rarely use my phone for navigation.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I believe Garmin makes the GL1800 units ... correct?

The GPS on my bike is slow, tenuous, and reminds me of the nav system in the movie Apollo 13, but I like it well enough to use it. I rarely use my phone for navigation.
Yes, prior to 2018 the GPS installed on the Gold Wing is a Garmin unit, modified to fit Honda specifications.

The aftermarket Garmin receivers are not modified by Honda. Had the system in the Gold Wing not been modified to suit Honda, the system would work fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Several years ago I traveled to Arizona on business and decided to rent a Wing to tour the state. I distinctly recall following the Honda Nav system when suddenly I ran out of pavement and found myself riding two up on a dirt road, all with absolutely no warning. That was a pucker moment for me but I was fortunately able to bring the bike to a stop without incident. That was the very last time I've used Honda Navigation.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Like my father says “a GPS is fine if you already know where you’re going “

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anytime you use GPS, you need to apply some common sense along with it. I've used GPS forever and all of them, even Garmin. If not, you will indeed end up like Michael Scott in a lake...

·
Registered
701 Posts
It is like any other tool, in the hands of a novice it will cause injury.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Now this is weird, cause even though I don't use the GPS often, I have to say that I have always been happy with it..It's the setting up to an address, that's a pain for me....

Ronnie

·
Registered
685 Posts
Using a gps requires normal complete attention to what is going on around/ahead of you. It's a tool, not unfailable. It may be annoying when they direct you to turn too soon, too late and/or not at all when they "should", but you are still the pilot in command and responsible for being in control whether it's in a car/truck or a bike. Take the "suggestions" with some skepticism.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Several years ago I traveled to Arizona on business and decided to rent a Wing to tour the state. I distinctly recall following the Honda Nav system when suddenly I ran out of pavement and found myself riding two up on a dirt road, all with absolutely no warning. That was a pucker moment for me but I was fortunately able to bring the bike to a stop without incident. That was the very last time I've used Honda Navigation.
Very common here in AZ to have paved roads that just "end". It's also common to have your GPS direct you to a route that may not be the most direct or efficient. I was doing well over the "ton" in northern AZ on a nice, rural paved road and just like that the pavement ended even though the GPS showed it continuing for another 40 miles. Well, it did continue to the interstate, it was just dirt for the remaining 40 miles. I have seen motorhome drivers follow unimproved dirt roads because the GPS said so. I have participated in night time rescues for others who blindly follow the GPS into the middle of nowhere. If you are unfamiliar with a route (particularly in rural areas) it is best to preview it with a paper map or even Google earth.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
What year GoldWing??? Just curious. 2006-2017 are Garmin units and 2018+ are Harman-Kardon. I've never had this issue on my 2006 NAVI. Haven't used the 2017 NAVI yet...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
GPS systems are not an autopilot. I use the Honda GPS and it got me to where I was going. If you know where you are going, you don't need the GPS. If you don't like the route, take the next turn, GPS will catch up, you are the autopilot system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live on a rural road that stops at a river and picks up on the other side. I have had several calls from friends trying to to get to my house.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be sure that you have the latest firmware on the Navi..in the United States it's version 5.1

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have a Garmin 595 on my bike and really like it.
I have a Mercedes sprinter-based motorhome and it comes with a German GPS which I do not like and requires me to pay for updates. Lately I have had really good luck with Apple Maps on my I-phone, so I use that in the motorhome.
Driving East on Hwy 8 from San Diego to an RV Park in Yuma, Apple Maps kept telling me to turn right which would have taken me across the border into Mexico, which I really did not want to do. If you look at a map, the Arizona border with Mexico is further south than the California border. My campground in Yuma was 5 miles south of Hwy 8 and the shortest distance would be through Mexico.
GPS is the best invention yet for travelers but you have to pay attention to all of them and "pre-ride" your routes before your trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts