GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HONDA KEEPS HOUNDING ME TO GET IN TO GET THIS COOLING SYSTEM
CHECK DONE. I HAVE HAD MY 2001 WING FOR 3 YEARS AND NEVER
EXPERIENCED AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM. SOME OF THESE HONDA
DEALER SERVICE DEPTS ARE MERE BUTCHER DEPTS. THEY AREN'T
GETTING THEIR HANDS ON MY MACHINE. THE BOTTOM LINE IS, IF YOUR WING IS NOT DOING THE OVERHEAT THING, LEAVE IT ALONE.
THAT IS ALL FRIENDS. RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does that statement bring back memories. My dad use to beat me up with that every time he caught me working on my car. Wing, you need to do what is right for you, it's your bike.

G

·
Personally I would first break it then fix it.
Like I always say sometimes:
If you fool around with something long enough it will eventually break

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
storm said:
Personally I would first break it then fix it.
Like I always say sometimes:
If you fool around with something long enough it will eventually break

I like Fred Harmon's line:

"If it ain't broke, I can improve it till it is"

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
ecm swap out

Benefits from ecm change.
FREE anti/freeze swap out, which is a pita if you do it ur self.
RESALE value has to be enhanced.
I would question buying a used 1800 that did not have the ecm upgrade done.
J D
:biker:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, don't you have till 2006 to have the "upgrade" done ???

I agree with everyone else, If it ain't broke, don't fix it

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have an 01 that was scheduled for the ECM fix this week. I called and cancelled the appointment. Have been fortunate not to have overheating issues. This repair endeaver is into the bowels of the bike and fell a bit uneasy that the technician would use some time saving techniques that differ from OEM. Placement of items, routing of harnesses, and connector issues are some concerns. Warranty usually doesn't give the tech enough time, so techs are forced to find quicker methods. I've seen this working at car dealers for many years. Some shortcuts are fine if they net the OEM result.......But there's times I have this dream of broken down with a chaffed harness or bad electrical connection deep inside the bike somewhere in the mountains with no cell service. :shock: Ride Safe.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
jmac00 said:
If I'm not mistaken, don't you have till 2006 to have the "upgrade" done ???

I agree with everyone else, If it ain't broke, don't fix it
are many of us not the folks that take brand new parts off a great bike and replace them with chrome ones for no apparent reason

just checking

loren

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
BWHAHAHAHAHA ya but those ain't important parts :D :D

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
loren said:
are many of us not the folks that take brand new parts off a great bike and replace them with chrome ones for no apparent reason
Nope .... I've ADDED a few things, but removing stuff, just to replace it with shinier stuff, ain't my bag. Now, replacing the grey stuff with colormatched .... hmm ....

And I certainly don't want them monkeying around and scratching /breaking/bending/reinstalling without grommets things to happen just for "free antifreeze" .... they built mine just right .... rebuilding by someone who's just finished up on a dirt bike ain't in the cards.

And I have to question why a bike that had not had the fix done would be worth LESS? (as opposed to worthless) IF I were in the market for a used bike, I would assume that a free fix would have been done if necessary and if it wasn't done it likely wasn't necessary ... Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You keep your bike intact as long as you want! I had the ECM changed, and they did the head test too. The dealer created a coolant leak on the left side, and after three trips back to have them fix it, I gave up and did it myself. I don't know what was so hard about giving a hose clamp another half turn???? :x I also discovered they broke one of the tabs off of the top housing where a bolt goes in to hold the side cover on. I'm sure most service departments are very good, but some are butchers. In my case, they sell Harleys and Hondas together. I don't think the mechanics care much about the "Jap Bikes" they have to deal with.

·
Registered
136 Posts
AIR FILTER

Check the service manual. Replace the ECM when you need to replace your air filter. The shop I went to charged me $18. for the filter and I recieved free anti-freeze and inspection of the system.
Randy F

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
another point of view.......

Even tho my bike had not over heated by itself, i ran it in the parade mode to see if it would, it did! I'm convinced all 1800's without the ecm swapout will overheat. This is the primary reason i had mine done. The upgrade came out perfect, no leaks, free air filter installatiion, free antifreeze, also received a free steering head adjustment at the same time, needless to say i left a generous tip for the service manager and technician. If you are scared of your service department, i would reccomend changing dealers imho.
JD :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too was holding out on having the ECM swap done. Mine had gotten hot, but never boiled over (although I about boiled over watching the needle skirt around the top mark in Atlanta traffic!). While mine wasn't broke, it wasn't quite right either. I didn't want anyone working on my bike but me - not that I'm that good, but I will tell myself if I break something :cry: and I will go the extra mile to make sure I do myself a good job :D (I don't pay myself by the job!). However, the frame weld forced me to take the bike to the shop. I did all of the dismantling myself and trailered it in. Since it was torn down that far, I decided to go ahead and swap out the ECM. I haven't put too many miles on it yet, but I'm happy to say there were no adverse effects. Even though I resisted at first, I do feel a little more piece of mind thinking about the next time getting stuck in traffic somewhere.

Having said all of that, I'll end with: To each his own!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts