GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I had my bike in for some service. The guys at the shop (Motovation in southern MD) commented that the alternator wasn't charging as strong as it should, but after cleaning it up, it seemed ok - they put in a new battery and an Electrical Connection "battery monitor" and everything seemed ok - until tonight...

The "battery monitor" indicated from start-up that I wasn't getting a charge through to the battery - and sure enough, about 5 - 6 miles later the bike died. Sounds like an alternator problem to me, but I've not heard of the 1800s (mine's an '05) having alternator problems.

Anybody in the Baltimore area handy at replacing these? We were planning on leaving Saturday morning for the Blue Ridge Parkway. :cry:

Mike

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
yes, alternators can fail....

My 2006 lost its alternator. It was actually the voltage regulator (hard wired within) that lead to its demise. I lived with occasional 16 volt spikes for 2 years before it stopped charging when it got hot. Let it cool down, and it would charge as expected. But 10 miles down the road and the next 20 are on total battery until the engine stopped at 9.4 volts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When your alternator is failing, what are the symptoms? Does it fail overnight or does it give you indicators that it's going south? The reason I ask is I've got 146,000 miles on mine and I hear of them going out anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 miles. I just want to be aware and do a premptive replacement when the time is right. On the other hand, doing it long before it's time seems like a waste too.

What is the typical replacement cost? If you're pretty handy with a wrench, is this a difficult install for the do-it-yourself crowd?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts