GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No. Go to your local auto parts store and get a can of "disc brake quiet". Remove your pads and spray the back (metal) side and put them back on. The auto industry has been doing this ever since disc brakes came on the market.

Wayne

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
NO!

It usually means the rotors are getting a little glaze build-up and this vibrates the pads at certain speeds, usually low speeds. You determine pad wear by the wear indcator marks built into them or by measuring the resistance material thickness and comparing to manufacturer's specs.

You can reduce or eliminate the squeal by cleaning the rotors. Brake parts cleaner is one way, a mild acidic detergent solution is another. I use Windex with Vinegar (its the color of pee or sometimes tinted grean). Clean it and leave the surface damp so that the mild acedic acid solution can lightly etch the stainless. I have not found it necessary to clean the pads for glaze, but if so, a light sanding would be easy using garnet paper of about 200 grade. Preventing the squeal or delaying its onset can be done by taking care NOT to get any spray cleaner, wax, or finish products on the rotors; easier said than done with spray or spritz applications. A more permanent cure is the use of anti-squeal backing on the BACKS of the pads. This is usually a high temp silicone RTV make especially for the pupose and a very, very thin coat is applied to the non shimmed pad and let cure before re-install. I actually go this route and even put it on the shimmed pad, under the shim. No squeal at all. I sill de-glaze/etch the rotor on occasion.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The squeal MIGHT mean you need replacement. It's easy enough to get down there and look at the amount of pad you have left. If it's really low, you will know right away. For a real test, drop your pads and see if the 'indicator' groove is still there. If you are hearing metal on metal and your pads look about gone, STOP riding and get them fixed.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
Brake noise means that your brakes need inspecting and cleaned/repaired as needed. Be aware of aftermarket pads also ... they are more likely to make more noise in more areas and climates with differant riding styles then OEM.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Brake noise

I Checkpoint Chicky

For the noise brake you ave, its very easy to disappear a 90% or more.

If you just remove the rear brake pads, you file the two ends of the plate 45 degrees and more, its brake dust that remains after the plate that makes noise, if you file both ends of the platelets , the dust does not accumulate, and no noise.

you file both ends.

Look the picture

FlyBoy2121

....a little when I apply them, does this meant they are bad and need to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I Checkpoint Chicky

For the noise brake you ave, its very easy to disappear a 90% or more.

If you just remove the rear brake pads, you file the two ends of the plate 45 degrees and more, its brake dust that remains after the plate that makes noise, if you file both ends of the platelets , the dust does not accumulate, and no noise.

you file both ends.

Look the picture

FlyBoy2121

Did the above to mine a long time back and also put the Hi temp disc brake quiet on back of pads and they have been quiet ever since- I use to do the deglaze of the rotor, but it didn't seem to last very long

·
Registered
361 Posts
The squeal MIGHT mean you need replacement. It's easy enough to get down there and look at the amount of pad you have left. If it's really low, you will know right away. For a real test, drop your pads and see if the 'indicator' groove is still there. If you are hearing metal on metal and your pads look about gone, STOP riding and get them fixed.

GR8 Answer, Nice Pic! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

And also, as I found out, it COULD mean your front axle is just a tiny bit out of alignment. Always good to periodically check this, especially if your local roads are pot-hole and repair strewn as mine are.

NO!

It usually means the rotors are getting a little glaze build-up and this vibrates the pads at certain speeds, usually low speeds. You determine pad wear by the wear indcator marks built into them or by measuring the resistance material thickness and comparing to manufacturer's specs.

You can reduce or eliminate the squeal by cleaning the rotors. Brake parts cleaner is one way, a mild acidic detergent solution is another. I use Windex with Vinegar (its the color of pee or sometimes tinted grean). Clean it and leave the surface damp so that the mild acedic acid solution can lightly etch the stainless. I have not found it necessary to clean the pads for glaze, but if so, a light sanding would be easy using garnet paper of about 200 grade. Preventing the squeal or delaying its onset can be done by taking care NOT to get any spray cleaner, wax, or finish products on the rotors; easier said than done with spray or spritz applications. A more permanent cure is the use of anti-squeal backing on the BACKS of the pads. This is usually a high temp silicone RTV make especially for the pupose and a very, very thin coat is applied to the non shimmed pad and let cure before re-install. I actually go this route and even put it on the shimmed pad, under the shim. No squeal at all. I sill de-glaze/etch the rotor on occasion.

prs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts