GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you are in the market for a high-end digital camera that you can take with you on your rides. We recently tested the Panasonic Lumix GH2 during a two week ride through Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

This is the best digital camera we have tested to date. Granted, it is bigger than a pocket digital, but I was able to keep it around my neck while riding without discomfort. Smaller and lighter than a DSLR, but amazing photos and video.

Check it out:

http://www.cruisereport.com/crNews.aspx?id=1561

·
Registered
686 Posts
With this combination of size, ergonomics and picture quality the GH2 is bound to be fantastic. My wife and I each have an early predecessor model, (Lumix G1) and have been amazed at versatility from such a small package. My massive Canon pro-quality DSLR has not been out of the closet in the 2 years we have had the G1.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With this combination of size, ergonomics and picture quality the GH2 is bound to be fantastic. My wife and I each have an early predecessor model, (Lumix G1) and have been amazed at versatility from such a small package. My massive Canon pro-quality DSLR has not been out of the closet in the 2 years we have had the G1.

We tested a Canon 60D last month and IMHO there is no comparison. The continuous auto-focus alone is worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For a pocket camera you may want to check out the Olympus "Tough" range. I have a 1030UW which has survived 3 years of motorcycling, hunting and fishing and will not quit. Water & dust proof (you stick them in a bowl of water or under the tap to clean them) and solidly constructed with a metal chassis. 10mp and an intuitive interface plus it is always in your pocket.

I run it as a companion to a Cannon 7D which real does give high end results but like all semi-pro SLR's is only good if you have it handy at the time!

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My boss picked up the older model Lumix and loves it. In my opinion, Panasonic always made good middle-of-the-road consumer electronics. The products may not be the best, but they aren't cheap junk and offer a lot of value for the money.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I have had two Lumix cameras, and liked both of them. But Panasonic cameras generally suffer from one big problem. The pre-amp noise at even mid ISO's is terrible compared to comparable cameras from other manufacturers. They were useless at anything other than bright conditions. Of course, this might not be a problem with Panasonic's high end cameras such as the one being discussed here.

That's why I ended up buying a Sony NEX-3. I still take my Lumix on the bike on long trips however, because most shots on trips are outdoors. The Sony's lens is just too big to pack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts