GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In theory, we could all ride like this in the rain. You don't loose THAT much traction on wet roads, and Wings are nice and heavy to cut through the water, but holly cartwheels, I don't think I have the skills, or the stones, to ride like THIS guy. How about you?

If you can, I'd love to see SOMEONE do this with their Wing. Post your video below.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Those are racing rain tires. Wouldnt last 100 miles in the dry. you get exceptional grip with them in the rain but they melt as soon as it stops raining. It is still amazing skill to be able to ride like that in the rain but would not want to try it on regular street tires.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Those were some amazingly tight 360 turns.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
19,102 Posts
No one could turn that tight & fast on a wing on dry pavement

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
At the 1:15 mark you see him spin out a little and has to put his foot down to save it. I wouldn't want to try that on a Wing.

My biggest problem in the rain is tar snakes, them things can start something I'm not ready to deal with. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No one could turn that tight & fast on a wing on dry pavement.
Well, yeah, but the math says you should be able to do proportionally bigger 360s, with a 30-degree lean angle, in the wet, on street tires without slipping. I don't recommend trying it over tar snakes or slippery asphalt paint, but it would be fun to try in a parking lot.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think both the track and the tires are made out of velcro! :shock:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
They are riding 300+lbs. motorcycles on rain slicks, can't compare that to the 900+lbs Wing.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
In theory, we could all ride like this in the rain. You don't loose THAT much traction on wet roads, and Wings are nice and heavy to cut through the water, but holly cartwheels, I don't think I have the skills, or the stones, to ride like THIS guy. How about you?

if you can, I'd love to see SOMEONE do this with their Wing. Post your video below.
At his speed of about 20 mph ,a bike so light that the rider to bike weight ratio will allow him to throw that little thing around like a ballet dance partner, no lower fairing blocking your view of next cone, it looks faster than it really was because of the extremely tight close up shot maintained throughout the ride.. , I would love to try that event on my wing though,, nice closed course flat clear lot no trees and probably no critters loose

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
If the course was setup for the wing's turning radius then yes, it could easily been done on a wing, on a wet pad. Several riders here have the skill to do it.

Not much changes at all except it's even more important to be "smooth" and that's it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If the fairing is blocking your view you are not looking where you need to be.
You Sir are correct -you go where you look -look at the ground and that;s where you go---------down:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
That was very cool. Most folks would feel that rear wheel slide and stick their foot down immediately. Pretty sure I couldn't put the wing through those obstacles quite as quickly but sure would enjoy trying. We do lots of fun things on the 250's we train folks on and occasionally put the wings to the test. But alas, here in AZ we don't usually get that much rain on range days.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've shared this before, but I like it because it points out several slow speed myths.

These Japanese ladies frequently glance down at the cones, often use their front brakes while fully leaned over and apparently have never heard of the words Friction Zone. With open face helmets, you can see them look down at the cones. You can see them easing the front brake on and hear the lever slap forward when they release it. Notice the left hands are almost never even on the clutch.

So, do I believe the dogma, or the evidence of my own eyes?

Do you think they could go that fast in the rain?

·
Registered
812 Posts
@CruiseControl - dogma is actually a gear word here and is very applicable.

It's not uncommon to use dogma to teach a lesson, and once the lesson has been learned to allow "grasshopper" to ignore the dogma and apply what (s)he has learned.

I also don't know that I would classify much of what I see in that video as "low speed" maneuvers. Their goal is to get through that course as quickly as possible. They do have to execute some maneuvers at low speed, but that's a different problem than "parking lot skills".

On the wing I use the rear brake in 3 situations. "Slow race" type situations (other slow turns I try very hard to do at 2nd gear idle speed). When for some reason my right hand is otherwise occupied. Emergency braking, when I'm as deep into the front as I'm comfortable with and still might be stopping long. All low speed stops I do with the front brake. This is contrary to what we are told and taught. I've practiced it enough to be comfortable with it. I don't imply that anyone else should do it, but it is what I do. I also think I rarely come to a complete stop with the wheel completely turned.

Even "at speed" in general I'd worry a bit about looking down at the immediate reference point. The general rule is to use your peripheral vision to track the reference point you are passing (as it is generally too late to correct for it) and focus on the upcoming reference point. As the following reference point becomes available you transition your focus to it, and use your peripheral vision to track how you are managing the current point.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Those are racing rain tires.
I might be wrong, but I'm gonna disagree. Look at the tires when he's sitting still in the first few seconds of the video. You can clearly see those aren't rain tires. I don't know if my eyes are that bad, but if I didn't know any better they look like slicks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts