GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to our Maine cousins!

I've been teasing many fellow riders in Arizona that I will one day make a trip to Maine, just for a bowl of good, thick, Clam Chowder. I know where Maine is located on a map, but otherwise, I am embarrassingly illiterate on most of your state's offerings.

Having said that, if you had but one place to go for a bowl of good, thick Maine Clam Chowder, where would it be?

We'll be a lot closer this time next year, as we're relocating to Missouri. And yes, when that day does come, I'll make sure to send out an RTE to one and all. And since we'll obviously be in your part of the woods for several days, I reckon it'll be worth our while to check out other good places for some chowder.

Thanks in advance!

- David

·
Registered
293 Posts
Maine

If you're coming to Maine you need to go to Bar Harbor on the coast....Clam Chowder, Lobster, Steamed clams.......you name it..... and don't miss Arcadia National Park, ie: Cadillac Mtn......the highest point on the east coast. Give yourself plenty of time,,you'll want it. I just got back from that area, I had a week, wish I had two.......

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Having said that, if you had but one place to go for a bowl of good, thick Maine Clam Chowder, where would it be?
If I wasn't allergic to seafood... Seattle. :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Maine

One day the wife and I had a taste for Labster. I talked to my son BKBLK06 and we headed to Bar Harbor for the Lobster. It was a great ride. We took a week and toured all the New England states. The nice thing about a wing is getting there and back makes any trip enjoyable. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
If you're coming to Maine you need to go to Bar Harbor on the coast....Clam Chowder, Lobster, Steamed clams......
One of the branches of the family tree had a summer place in the Bar Harbor area. As a kid in the 60's, there'd be a week "down Maine" in a 200+ year old farm house. I have no earthly idea where it might be, but I do know that there was some little pond across the road, and that was the area swimming hole. At that time, nobody was smart enough to pack a pair of old Ked's shoes; them rocks were tough on yer feet! :shock:

I recall when my great granny sold the place, the new owners came by on our last trip there (this was between '68 and '70). They'd planned on bringing the old place kicking and screaming into the latter-half of the 20th century...complete with full running indoor plumbing! :lol:

I'd go back, only if I could get my mom to remember where the old place might be. This'll have to happen on a four corners tour in the near future.

2,732 Posts
Love the coast but....................

I love riding the sea coast roads and exploring the fishing communities but also loved the Hurricane Mountain Road above and behind North Conway, NH. Don't hear may riders mention it but is a real fun ride thru the trees and up over the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts