GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
This post is for anyone who currently has an android phone and might be on the fence about getting an iphone in order to take advantage of the CarPlay feature of the 2018 and up Goldwings. I know it stinks that android or google or whoever did not play nice with Honda so that they could offer their comparable capability, but the fact is - they haven't, they aren't likely any time soon, and you are going to miss out on some incredible capabilities if you don't eat your pride and "go apple."

I just returned from my 7th consecutive Key West ride to watch the Superbowl on Duval St (Yeah Pats). This is the 2nd year it was on my 2018 Goldwing. I have an Iphone and have been using CarPlay regularly. I also before the trip did the new Nav update to the bike. But there is one app that is usable with CarPlay that I want to chat about and, maybe because of just this one app, you might want to consider getting an iphone so that you can use CarPlay. That app is Waze, the navigation app. Some points of clarification....

Waze was perfect for THIS trip because it was a strict A to B ride down I-95. Waze is not customizable and you won't be leading any 30 waypoint twisty rides using Waze. But, if you are doing a ride like our Key West ride, Waze is worth every darn penny (lol it's free, but the iphone required to use it isn't).

Waze's features are mostly due to its "interactive nature." What this means, is that you are "connected" to every other motorist using Waze. As someone goes down the road and sees a pothole, road gator (treads that fall off semi tires), police officers, etc, they can "report" this. Then you will get an audible and visual warning as you approach that. Waze will say to you in your headset "police reported ahead" and the display will show that and a distance (typically 0.4 to 0.5 mi). Now, maybe you aren't lead-footed like my buddy and I tend to be on that ride, but wouldn't you love to know that there was a hazard ahead? An object in the road? Construction, or a disabled vehicle on the side of the road? The situational awareness that this app gives you as you roll down the road was awesome. And even on the GW, you can make your own reports, and say "thank you" to other motorists whose report you were helped by. It was quite easy with my left thumb and I quickly (careful here) and without distraction. I quickly learned to count clicks and could make a report without ever taking my eyes off the road.

The bottom line is that it made this ride much safer in my opinion and even helped the time go by a little easier on a boring highway ride. But without CarPlay you can't use it.

Again, it sux that Android has not worked with Honda, but they haven't. Get an Iphone!! You will be glad you did because CarPlay is awesome!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Apple Car Play is awesome....BUT only works when your headset works. So on a long day the new Mesh communication draws down the battery and Car Play dies when the headset battery dies. Also as great as Car Play is there are still many limitations especially with apps like Google Maps and the Wing does not support touch screen. A phone mount gives you the best of all worlds. No limitations!

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Heck, my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy and before that my flipper. I understood the flipper, but it was so small that I could not see most features with my cross-eyed balls. I got the Galaxy because it was BIG and let you go to giant icons and print. Apple was some strange thing that no microsoft user would ever understand, or so it seemed. Just ask Apple folks, they will tell Ya how its so different. WRONG! I hated the droid Galaxy, never could take much advantage of any features. Next phone, I went Apple and this is soooooooooooooooooo easy. Almost intuitive. I put the RAM X holder on my left handle bar with the coupler that replaces the spacer just inboard of the grip and that is great too. So, I agree with Matt, if you are tolerating droid, take the leap!

prs

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
I think you will eventually see an Android function with the bike, but it may take some time. Initially they told Honda they weren't interested in working with them, but I believe they have changed their tune. I guess time will tell....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Another great thing about Waze, is the ability to do a voice search for locations. You might be headed for a destination 800 miles away, but eventually you’ll need gas or food. With the voice search, it’s quick and easy.

Another feature of Waze is its ability to route you around traffic delays. Once it routed me around Chattanooga, on backroads, because I-24 had a wreck that caused a 2 hour delay.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The iPhone - Google Maps & MyMaps - CarPlay combination is great for preplanning and saving future rides. Offline maps can be saved too.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The primary goal of traffic enforcement is speed reduction. I know some have an ax to grind because they feel its the cops fault they got a ticket, and that cops are revenuers. In some small localities that may in fact be true, very unethical and tarnishing of good police departments trying to do the right thing. Waze also accomplishes this goal, actually better than most cops. Waze is very effective in getting people to slow down.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have an android phone.
I feel I am missing something by not having an iphone.
I have no knowledge of iphones or plans or any of that stuff, and I don't want it to cost me $50 a month so I can use it to do whatever it does a couple of times a month.
I guess I will need to take a lesson on what the Carplay does to actually see if it is something I could use.
I may ask my wife for an iphone for my birthday in July this year.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have to agree with MattC 100% about the iPhone. I ended up getting an iPhone 6 from Walmart for $200 and it cost me less than $500 a year for unlimited talk text and data. For me the Waze is worth it weight in gold for all of the above mentioned reasons! The iPhone is very easy to use also.

Reactions: Doug Vann

·
Registered
633 Posts
You make a map and save it with Google MyMaps on your computer. It will then show up on Google Maps on your iPhone under Your places>Maps.
So you can create a route with MyMaps and Google Maps will be able to open that route and navigate it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I see where Waze is being pressured to remove the police warning.

I bet they might even comply if the police admit it’s because they don’t want to lose the revenue. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
my wife and I have android phones and waze works perfectly fine.:grin2:

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Apple products and I do not get along. Not being able to get traffic and weather from my "Never ever will ever be an IPhone" on the bike electronics only means that I must mount my Zumo on it. I don't like the fact that I have an ipod pretending to be the CD player on my 2010, but as long as it stays plugged into that interface, it behaves. But trying to listen to music directly from it and even trying to put new music on it ends up being a tasks that just raises my BP. I can work on Windows, Linux, UNIX, build scripts in most "shells" used in those OS's and even throw in scripts used for data retrieval in several databases, so "not knowing anything about computers" is extremely far away for being a cause for my "Apple" dislike. It boils down to it rarely does what I want it to do, touching causes it to scroll and select nothing while sliding my finger across to scroll selects things I do not want selected.

The issue with non-apple not wanting to play may be the opposite and apple has provided "car play" with an exclusive use agreement preventing any other players form even being considered. This is something that apple has done very often and was a direct contributor to many of apple's competing products to vanish from the market or be crippled to the point of almost being useless. Many years ago, Creative Labs had an MP3 player that was leaps and bounds better than what apple had. It even had an interface cable just like ipod. But Apple sued over the "idea of a wired interface" and the bigger "fish" with the most money won the battle and today, almost no one remembers Creative Labs even made such a device.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It looks to me like one more reason to not even consider upgrading to a 2018. I detest Apple. I have an I-Pad I had to stop using for anything that requires security over the internet because Apple stopped providing software updates for it. I have an I-Mac computer that one day just up and died. Apple no longer provides support for that one. I have an I-Phone 6s that can no longer find my cell-phone provider. Apple can't figure that one out. Every time I logged into I-Tunes it would take hours to update and then I would have issues with password recognition by Apple. And then there's the issue of where Apple makes their products. No more!!!

Reactions: William Anzik
1 - 20 of 94 Posts