GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have the Honda CB radio & Sena 20S or SRL headsets, I need your experiences!

If you have the Honda CB radio and both you and your passenger use the Sena 20S EVO or SRL headsets, I need your experiences, PLEASE!

For reference, this post is a continuation of my recent, initial POST on the topic, "Problem with using your CB and Intercom at the same time with Sena 20SEVO or SRL?" found here: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193...ur-cb-intercom-same-time-sena-20sevo-srl.html

I am scheduled to meet with my selling dealer's Honda DSM to document the issue that I and apparently many others have experienced when attempting to use the Honda CB radio seamlessly (at the same time) with the Intercom feature in Honda’s recommended Sena 20S EVO or Sena SRL headsets - when riding with a passenger on the bike.

If I am on the bike by myself (only #1 headset icon displayed on dash), I am able to use the CB, but since there's no passenger involved, no Intercom is needed.

However, once I have a passenger (# 2 headset icon now also displayed on dash), who is also using a Sena 20S EVO or SRL headset, the moment another bike in our (primarily GoldWings) group transmits on the CB (I can see "RX" illuminated on my bikes dash display), my passenger and I immediately lose the Intercom between us - each and every time.

Temporarily regaining the Intercom connection has sometimes been possible by pressing the large bar button on headset, but again, the Intercom function is lost - each and every time - someone in our group transmits, at which point the button bar on headset no longer responds for us.

Obviously, this is an excruciating, unsafe experience for the rider and passenger and cannot possibly be normal! But in fact, as previously stated in my earlier post, Sena told me that due to a "product limitation" you cannot have both the CB & Intercom at the same time.

I would very much appreciate your sharing your experiences with the same setup (2018 - 2019 Gold Wing and both rider & passenger using Sena 20S EVO or SRL headsets) in advance of my meeting with Honda DSM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have discovered that long ago and complained to Sena and Honda as well as my dealer. When I finally discovered what was causing the intercom problems, I contacted Sena many times as well as Honda. And I do mean many times but to no avail. So I figured I would me helpful and at least let my dealer know what is going on just in case someone else has this problem. According to what Sena had to say about the problem, it can't be solved. Personally, I think it stinks that with all this modern electronic technology with have today, we can't use our CB and intercom at the same time like on the older bikes with cables. It makes for a not so fun day when riding with others that use the CB. As much as I like wireless helmets, I would prefer to use cabled helmets now due to the limitation of bluetooth.

Big H

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven't ridden 2up with the CB and Intercom on my 2018 in about a year. My wife hated the bike, so for 2 up rides I bought a 2017, wires, comfortable seat and all, and she is very happy now. When 1up, I ride the 2018.

I do seem to remember though that if the intercom failed after a CB transmission, I would hit the Transmit button for a second and that seemed to reinstate all functions. If I'm remembering correctly, the protocols for intercom and CB transfer with the use of the CB. Sometimes those protocols get "stuck" and don't transfer back. I hope I'm remembering and stating this correctly for you, as I know how frustrating it is/was.

Scott

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have discovered that long ago and complained to Sena and Honda as well as my dealer. When I finally discovered what was causing the intercom problems, I contacted Sena many times as well as Honda. And I do mean many times but to no avail. So I figured I would me helpful and at least let my dealer know what is going on just in case someone else has this problem. According to what Sena had to say about the problem, it can't be solved. Personally, I think it stinks that with all this modern electronic technology with have today, we can't use our CB and intercom at the same time like on the older bikes with cables. It makes for a not so fun day when riding with others that use the CB. As much as I like wireless helmets, I would prefer to use cabled helmets now due to the limitation of bluetooth.

Big H
I am not an expert in what's possible with Bluetooth technology and therefore have no insight as to if or when a solution by Sena or Honda is even possible, but as the manufacturer of the motorcycle, I believe the responsibility for this mess lies squarely with Honda PowerSports.

I can say from my general experience as a consumer that Honda PowerSports would be more likely to take notice and respond with a fix to this problem if they begin to have numerous documented complaints from affected owners (like us!).

Again I have to ask, did Honda PowerSports forewarn their authorized dealers to advise purchasers (us!) before spending well over $ 1,000.00 to have the OEM Honda CB radio installed that using the CB & Intercom when riding two-up was not possible? If my dealer had made my wife and I aware of this serious shortcoming, we would not have purchased the CB radio, who needs this grief?

If Honda Powersports does not to take responsibility, what should be our next move?

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't ridden 2up with the CB and Intercom on my 2018 in about a year. My wife hated the bike, so for 2 up rides I bought a 2017, wires, comfortable seat and all, and she is very happy now. When 1up, I ride the 2018.

I do seem to remember though that if the intercom failed after a CB transmission, I would hit the Transmit button for a second and that seemed to reinstate all functions. If I'm remembering correctly, the protocols for intercom and CB transfer with the use of the CB. Sometimes those protocols get "stuck" and don't transfer back. I hope I'm remembering and stating this correctly for you, as I know how frustrating it is/was.

Scott
My wife and I now miss our 2014 Gold Wing for the same reason!

But in my opinion, Honda PowerSports is not excused from designing and then hyping their 2018 GW motorcycle as having the latest and greatest technology (over their prior generation, 2017 and earlier, GW's) and then not being able to deliver a working Intercom and CB implementation (as my wife and I had with our 2014 Goldwing) when riding two-up using their (Honda's) own recommended (Sena brand) headsets, especially when the CB radio was purchased new with the motorcycle at an authorized Honda PowerSports dealer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am not an expert in what's possible with Bluetooth technology and therefore have no insight as to if or when a solution by Sena or Honda is even possible, but as the manufacturer of the motorcycle, I believe the responsibility for this mess lies squarely with Honda PowerSports.

I can say from my general experience as a consumer that Honda PowerSports would be more likely to take notice and respond with a fix to this problem if they begin to have numerous documented complaints from affected owners (like us!).

Again I have to ask, did Honda PowerSports forewarn their authorized dealers to advise purchasers (us!) before spending well over $ 1,000.00 to have the OEM Honda CB radio installed that using the CB & Intercom when riding two-up was not possible? If my dealer had made my wife and I aware of this serious shortcoming, we would not have purchased the CB radio, who needs this grief?

If Honda Powersports does not to take responsibility, what should be our next move?

Well, unfortunately I do ride in groups and we all communicate via the CB for road hazards, turns, pit stops and etc. I guess if I was explained this problem ahead of time, I would have opted for the cabled version instead of bluetooth. I'm not a big fan of being tethered but it does make riding 2 up much more convenient and fun while not having to deal with intercom issues. But you are right on about Honda Power Sports being the one to blame for this shortcoming. They surely know that Goldwing Chapters all ride in groups and most are 2 up. And with that being said, they also surely know that they communicate via the CB and rider and co-rider communicate via the intercom. So it has to make you wonder why in the world would Honda and Sena not design a system that is wireless and can do both like the old systems. My dealer wasn't even aware of this problem until I informed him. Naturally he was shocked by this finding and would inform his techs about this in case they encountered it. To my knowledge, he has not found anything out from his DSR at Honda. However, I do have a problem with Honda's reason for it not being able to do what it should do. They claim that it's because the CB and the helmet intercom share the same Bluetooth channel and therefore, will cancel out the other function. With so many devices out there today that can bluetooth more than one device at the same time use more than one feature at the same time, you have to ask why can't Honda and Sena do the same thing. It's really a huge disappointment along with all the other shortcomings that the 2018 has. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the 2018 because I do love the bike. It's just these little annoying shortcomings that are so disappointing and frustrating.

Big H

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

Does it work better with the 30K headset running in mesh mode for intercom? That would use a different protocol for the intercom and for the CB.

Unfortunately getting bluetooth devices to interoperate is much more complex than using wires. It is also much more complex when there are two bluetooth vendors involved. Even different firmware versions can cause issues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, unfortunately I do ride in groups and we all communicate via the CB for road hazards, turns, pit stops and etc. I guess if I was explained this problem ahead of time, I would have opted for the cabled version instead of bluetooth. I'm not a big fan of being tethered but it does make riding 2 up much more convenient and fun while not having to deal with intercom issues. But you are right on about Honda Power Sports being the one to blame for this shortcoming. They surely know that Goldwing Chapters all ride in groups and most are 2 up. And with that being said, they also surely know that they communicate via the CB and rider and co-rider communicate via the intercom. So it has to make you wonder why in the world would Honda and Sena not design a system that is wireless and can do both like the old systems. My dealer wasn't even aware of this problem until I informed him. Naturally he was shocked by this finding and would inform his techs about this in case they encountered it. To my knowledge, he has not found anything out from his DSR at Honda. However, I do have a problem with Honda's reason for it not being able to do what it should do. They claim that it's because the CB and the helmet intercom share the same Bluetooth channel and therefore, will cancel out the other function. With so many devices out there today that can bluetooth more than one device at the same time use more than one feature at the same time, you have to ask why can't Honda and Sena do the same thing. It's really a huge disappointment along with all the other shortcomings that the 2018 has. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the 2018 because I do love the bike. It's just these little annoying shortcomings that are so disappointing and frustrating.

Big H
It's nice to know my wife and I are not alone (misery loves company!) as we seem to have the exact same needs for seamless CB / Intercom operation when riding two up in a group (Friends for Fun, Safety and Knowledge) as you do!

In my opinion, it was not our responsibility to ask Honda if their latest, their top of the line touring motorcycle, manufactured / marketed expressly for two people, would still be capable of simultaneous CB & Intercom communication with Bluetooth now added to the bike - especially when Honda sold the darn CB to us!!!!!

I think my selling dealer is overall great, but apparently just like your situation, I found he did not even realize that the 2018 + newer GW has this communication shortcoming. It was Honda's responsibility to have made their dealer network aware of this shortcoming, but now I’m repeating myself…..

I'm expecting to meet with my dealer's DSM in October, please stay tuned for my follow up on what Honda tells my wife and I.

Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
496 Posts
We gave up trying. Wife rides a Trike and I ride my Wing or Valkyrie. Sena 20S works great for Intercom but we could not get it to work with the Sena Red interface box for CB use while using the Intercom. Watched all the Videos and talked to several others and it just is a piece of crap for that function. Every time the CB would be engaged it knocked out the Intercom so I found myself pushing the button all the time. We finally gave up after talking to Sierra Electronics about it. They know there is an issue with use with older Goldwings. Works well with Harleys. I think it is the out dated Goldwing Electronics packages on all but the 18 & 19 models. Has anyone had better luck with the new models?
Dan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Owe forgot to mention. My solution for using the CB with my Sena 20S intercoms was to install both a wired and Sena hookup to one helmet. Only using one set of speakers which are hooked to the 20S. I'm using the speakers for listening to the CB and the 2nd mic for talking on the CB. This worked on our last trip to the UP of Michigan. Around 3500 miles. Little annoying but allowed us to communicate with the other bikes. Use my regular helmet with only the 20S hookup for most riding. Had to buy another 20S hookup to add it to my wired helmet. About a hundred dollars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it work better with the 30K headset running in mesh mode for intercom? That would use a different protocol for the intercom and for the CB.

Unfortunately getting bluetooth devices to interoperate is much more complex than using wires. It is also much more complex when there are two bluetooth vendors involved. Even different firmware versions can cause issues.
Because we have Shoei Neotec II helmets, we are using the Sena SRL (integrated into the helmet), which Sena assures has exactly the same function as their 20S EVO recommended by to us by Honda PowerSports for the 2018 GoldWing. I'm aware of the Sena 30K having the mesh mode, but did not even consider it based on Honda PowerSports recommendation to use only the 20S EVO. This is not our first Bluetooth headset disappointment with the 2018 GoldWing, we've already tired and given up on one of the two other major MC headset brands (despite having the latest version firmware).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Our riding partners ride 2 newer Harley CVOs and they bought the same Sena 20S setup and they do not have this issue. Seems to be a Honda issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Our riding partners ride 2 newer Harley CVOs and they bought the same Sena 20S setup and they do not have this issue. Seems to be a Honda issue.
But do these bikes use bluetooth connections for both the intercom and CB radio? Are they using cables at all or strictly wireless communication? Because if they are totally wireless like our Honda's, and they can do what we can't do, then shame on Honda for not keeping up with technology like Harley apparently did according to what you are saying. Please verify this for us .

Big H

·
Registered
496 Posts
They use the same setup. Only difference from the Sena’s they buy the orange box instead of the red one.
Dan

·
Registered
496 Posts
That is great. Then does the 20S work well connected to the new Goldwings for Intercom and CB without having to hit the 20s button all the time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Won't work with Cardo either, I have both. I was quite surprised also when I spent all kinds of money on the Bluetooth headsets to find out I can't talk to my passenger and listen to the radio at the same time without canceling one out and then restarting.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is great. Then does the 20S work well connected to the new Goldwings for Intercom and CB without having to hit the 20s button all the time
Assuming you are riding two-up with a passenger on your bike also using a Sena 20 EVO or SRL headset (otherwise why would you need the Intercom feature), then No, it does not work well. Please see / reread my detailed explanation in Post # 1 of this string.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Won't work with Cardo either, I have both. I was quite surprised also when I spent all kinds of money on the Bluetooth headsets to find out I can't talk to my passenger and listen to the radio at the same time without canceling one out and then restarting.
I have no experience with the Cardo units (with the 2018 Gold Wing), but did have the J&M BT04 units, which I also found did not allow me to use of the Intercom and CB radio together / seamlessly when riding two up.

When I contacted Honda PowerSports in CA and filed a complaint, Honda recommended the Sena 20S as the solution to my complaint. I then purchased two Sena SRL headsets (same functions of 20S EVO, just integrated into Shoei Neotec II helmet) and have now found the Honda recommended Sena SRL (20S EVO) is NOT the solution either.

I want to clarify that you meant to say "CB" radio; and if you did, then yes, just my listening (monitoring) a CB radio channel results in an interruption to the Intercom between me and my passenger every time another member of our group transmits on their CB, which is an excruciating experience for me and my passenger.

I strongly encourage anyone else in this same situation to contact Honda PowerSports in CA and file a complaint on this issue asking that they forward the matter to your selling dealer's DSM for follow up, otherwise I fear they'll be no resolution anytime soon!

Thanks for your input!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts