GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are in the early stages of planning our bike trip for next year and I would love some input from the folks that live there.
So here’s what we have… the first week of August we are heading out from west Michigan and only have 19 days to get back. We want to tour the northeastern states, (that being NY. VT. ME. MA. NH. RI. CT. PA. and OH.)
I’m going to post this on the individual state boards but thought the answers would be cool from other states not on my trip route.
So here’s the question: If you only had one or two days max to travel/tour your state, where would you go? Could be a great road or landmark really doesn’tmatter.
Thank you!
Loren

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not sure you have time to do what you want but if you are going to ride up here, you have to ride the Adirondack park in Upstate.

Not sure if you're hitting Niagara Falls or not, if you are double back onto 90 ( I can give you other routes through this area, I'm near Rochester, PM me if you like) and head east to Syracuse. ( 90 and 81 will get you into the area the fastest but it super slab and boring but in the interest of your time crunch............))

Head north on 81 to Watertown and head east again on Rt 3 toward Tupper Lake then through Saranac Lake and up into Plattsburg. Ferry across at Plattsburgh and head into Burlington, Montpelier and then Rt 2 north/east over to Bangor..............great hotel in Brewer ( just south of Bangor) called the the Colony Motel http://www.sleepypeoplewanted.com/ great place to stay, can't say enough about this place.

From there head down the coast, head west at Portsmouth toward Keene, across Hogback Mountain, Hooksick Falls and head north to Ticonderoga and take the ferry across Lake Champlain, then 9/28/8/365 to Rome from Rome head south to 20 and take 20 across NY and through the Finger Lakes regions, south to Cortland, Ithaca and Watkins Glen then pick up 86 to Erie PA and you're on your way home.

Hope that helps...........PM if you have specific questions...........I ride that area a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure you have time to do what you want but if you are going to ride up here, you have to ride the Adirondack park in Upstate.

Not sure if you're hitting Niagara Falls or not, if you are double back onto 90 ( I can give you other routes through this area, I'm near Rochester, PM me if you like) and head east to Syracuse. ( 90 and 81 will get you into the area the fastest but it super slab and boring but in the interest of your time crunch............))

Head north on 81 to Watertown and head east again on Rt 3 toward Tupper Lake then through Saranac Lake and up into Plattsburg. Ferry across at Plattsburgh and head into Burlington, Montpelier and then Rt 2 north/east over to Bangor..............great hotel in Brewer ( just south of Bangor) called the the Colony Motel http://www.sleepypeoplewanted.com/ great place to stay, can't say enough about this place.

From there head down the coast, head west at Portsmouth toward Keene, across Hogback Mountain, Hooksick Falls and head north to Ticonderoga and take the ferry across Lake Champlain, then 9/28/8/365 to Rome from Rome head south to 20 and take 20 across NY and through the Finger Lakes regions, south to Cortland, Ithaca and Watkins Glen then pick up 86 to Erie PA and you're on your way home.

Hope that helps...........PM if you have specific questions...........I ride that area a lot.
going to use your ideas in the first 2 paragraph's... but going to have to figure out were your going in the last part with a better map later when I have more time .
. thanks! very helpful

·
Registered
129 Posts
I highly agree with Goingballistic on Niagara Falls and the Adirondack Park. I think you would also enjoy Letchworth State Park. Our Finger Lakes also offer some of the best motorcycle roads in the state. From the southern end of Letchworth you could wend your way to Watkins Glen (another great location), then over to Rte 28 and the pick up the Adirondack routes to Plattsburgh. That will give you a one-way pass through NY.

I highly recommend Hogback Mountain in Vermont. After that you can hit VT 100, head north through Waterbury (Ben & Jerry's) to Stowe and up to Smuggler's Notch. 15 east, drop down to 112 (Kancamagus Highway) through New Hampshire into Maine.

Don't expect to see anyone in Maine until you get near the Atlantic coast. It's great riding, but pretty desolate. Portland, Kennebunk, Ogunquit, York and Kittery are all good places to visit in Maine but they are all densely populated.. I can't help too much with RI or CT.

Coming back, Rte 6 goes all the way from east to west through Pennsylvania into Ohio. Port Jervis, NY is the easiest access. I can recommend a few great side trips if you find you have time. Rotes 144 and120 are the first ones that come to mind.

The aforementioned PM to goingballstic and/or myself will get you tons of local insight.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
LIVE LIFE LIKE YOU ONLY HAVE 2 DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow::bow:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts