GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington D.C. would be a fantastic place to visit on the Wing.

Today Maj Gen Bedke asked us a question. He told how when he was first stationed at the Pentagon he had a young man moving his household goods in for him. After moving all the stuff the young man turned to the General and said that he had one hour before he had to leave and had never been to D.C. before. He asked what the Gen would recommend he go see. Since the mover only had the moving van to drive, Gen Bedke offered to use his car to give the boy a tour of the D.C. Mall since it was only 10 minutes away. Gen Bedke promised to give him a good driving tour of the mall, but wanted the young man to spend 15 minutes to see one site up close.

What was the site?

I ask you the same question, if you only had 15 minutes to really experience D.C., what would you go see?

I spent less than a minute thinking aobut it and I know where I would go. I will post my answer and Gen Bedke's after the Gen reveals it to me.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Jon said:
Got to be The Wall
I agree. For those of us who lived during the Viet Nam era, it is a most moving experience. Older folks probably would rather see the Korean War or WWII monument areas. Being from IL originally, Abe's monument is always awe inspiring for me. Plus, plus, plus. There's just too much stuff to see and experience on the mall. lol

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can't decide between Lincoln Monument or The Tomb of the unknown soldier.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I go to DC at least 30 times a year. Once I get my ASO cert I sadly will probably go more. I've been to the wall, and most of the other monuments as well as the smithsonian and enjoyed it all. For me though if it was my first time and I only had an hour... It would be Arlington National Cemetary...... there is no Viet Nam, Korea or World war I or II. It simply makes you HATE war and love your freeedom.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I agree, Alington and the Tomb of the Unknown Solider and watch the changing of the guard, moving experence......and impresive....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Vietnam War Memorial
I grew up in Hyattsville back in the 40's, 50's & 60's. Been to most of the monuments and venues in Washington including the Arlington National Cemetery.
But after seeing the Wall for the first time two years ago, I can honestly say it was one of the most moving experiences of my life.
If you grew up in the Vietnam era and haven't seen it for yourself, seeing it will move you to tears like it did me.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Arlington. Never been but would like to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow thats a tuff one. I guess my first thought would be Arlington. If it really can only be the mall area I'd go with The Wall.

·
Registered
270 Posts
H m m . . .

The Vietnam War Memorial is first with the United States Marine Corps War Memorial being next.
:flg:

·
Registered
816 Posts
hour

In an hour you could do two, possibly three things. 1. White House from the front and back. 2. Wall/reflecting pool 3. Lincoln Memorial. You'll see the Washington Memorial from the Mall, so that's really 4.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I always go to the Wall...I had writers' block for a long time and the Vietnam Wall inspired the first writing in years...it is the most powerful memorial I have ever experienced...but I really want to see the WWII Memorial...the Korean War Memorial is also incredible...I am going to D.C. on the way back to FL from NJ over the holidays and will be going to the National Gallery to see an exhibit of old photos of NYC. Also will go to the three War memorials...along with the Smithsonian, of course...I just love that my brother lives there!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Up to 13th & 14th Streets...you'll see things there that you simply won't see any other place :shock:

·
Registered
922 Posts
WWII memorial, pays tribute to the generation of hero's. The other memorials are impressive as well. Follow it up with a tour of Arlington so that the concept of freedom can really sink in.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
DT said:
Up to 13th & 14th Streets...you'll see things there that you simply won't see any other place :shock:
LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't decide, for me I've lived here all my life and I think mostly because of my age the memorials don't move me as much. Probably a sad thing for a lot of folks to hear. For me I would go to the Air and Space Museum...

·
Registered
310 Posts
We visited the wall during a visit to DC ten years ago. It was a very moving experience for all in our group. :flg:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
If I only had a short time I would go to the top of the George Washington Monument.

From there one can see the balanced layout of the whole mall area as well as the other memorials, the White House and the Capitol.

One can see the signs of the balance of power in our government envisioned by the founding fathers and enduring to this day. Executive: White House. Legislative: Capitol. Judicial: Supreme Court building.

Also the memorials commerating wars fought to preserve freedom can be seen. On a distant hill Arlington National Cemetery is the most sobering reminder.

All visible out the tiny windows of the monument to the father of our country.

I was in awe as a first-time visitor in 1970 and I am in awe today.

Bob E.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I work in DC about two weeks per month. Like others have said, the changing of the guard at the tomb of the uinknown was very moving to me. I also am very impressed with the Korean war memorial. But, if I only had an hour.... I would go to the Museum of American History. By far my favorite place in DC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts