GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the bike starts to go over at a stop, how would you get the passenger off FAST?

I don't want her busting up a knee because I lost my footing.

Jump
Go down with it
Step off/step out
Cling to you like a spider monkey
What?

If it was just me, I'd step out and ease it down. I'm just not sure what to do if the SO is in the back.

·
Registered
528 Posts
From a stop, the bike generally never goes all the way over. It lands on the guards. It is not likely to pin her and in most cases, she should be able to almost step off as the bike goes down assuming she knows it's going over. Remember that she may not be paying complete attention to what's going on.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
^^^^^^ What he said!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Rodney,

Do not dump Karen three times like I have Linda!!! :wrong:
She should hold on to the seat handles and keep both feet on the floorboards. If the passenger sticks her foot out, there is a danger of a broken foot or ankle.

It was good seeing you both, Saturday. Hope you had a safe ride home. We got home between 9:30 and 10:00 Sat. night.

Ride Safe and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
In my experience, you do not get much choice in how anybody gets off. When this bike starts to go over all you can do is slow it's progress to the ground. You really do not have time to decide how to dismount.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
This had happened to me before and all I know id my wife had no problem coming off the back. She was of before the guards ever touched the ground!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've always thought that the best thing for the passenger to do in case of a slow-speed or nearly-stopped drop of the bike is to crawl up onto the high side of the bike.

For example, if the bike is going down on the left side, crawl up onto the right side of the bike which will be the "up" side when the bike goes down. This way, the bike can go all the way down on the crash bars and the passenger never touch the ground at all.

The rider is a different story all together. In most cases you are going to instinctively try to muscle the bike back up with the bars and/or your foot and leg on the side the bike is going down toward.

My wife actually pulled us out of a drop in a gravel parking lot once by remembering what I told her to do. I lost footing on the gravel under my left foot and we started going down on the left side. She immediately leaned hard right (like I taught her) and shifted herself to the extreme right side of the seat. That kept us up just long enough for me to replant my left foot and we stayed up! I think I'll keep her. (The wife, that is!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dropped my 04 Goldwing for the first time last weekend by backing up and found my left foot not touching the ground and down she went on the left side resting on the crash bars. My wife was still sitting in her seat hold on to the seat handles and did not move. She ussually holds on to the handles when we come to a stop.

Rash

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
When it starts to go over, if you are alone, let the thing drop. Don't argue. Don't think about it, get out of it's way and let it drop. You will hurt yourself if you attempt to stop it.

I know, I've done it, twice. Once each way.

In both cases I was yelling for the passenger to get off. After several attempts they finally stopped asking what was wrong and climbed off. After which I let the bike drop.

At the time my concern was their legs being pinned. And while that could happen, on reflection it seems less a concern than other issues.

Wrists are a bigger concern. They snap good when trying to stop a 900 pound motorcycle.

Heads, on the other hand, worry me more than the other potential issues. Sure, they might be wearing a helmet. With some of you they certainly are, but while their head is protected, the neck is not, and slamming an unaware person into the ground on their side does potent some serious concerns.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
A very wise Texan cowboy that I know says his wife rides in rodeos and her method is just like riding a horse. Passanger kicks their feet forward and up to get them about to the elbows of the rider. It is not nice to try to kick them for dumping! If you do that your feet / legs are not going to be between the wing and any obstruction, then you can just put feet down and step off and yell WTF you do that for. Thats how it happens on my bike way too often. I get much older I see a trike in the distant future. After prostrate cancer I just do not have the power in the legs I usedto.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great answer everyone! I'm going to have my wife read over this--to see what feels "right" to her, and to give her some ideas.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Great answer everyone! I'm going to have my wife read over this--to see what feels "right" to her, and to give her some ideas.
you could put one of those "007" ejection seats on the back
.. tie it into the tilt sensor if you really wanted to get fancy..

:joke:

Dennis

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
I have come off the bike a couple of times, including one fairly famous and heavily-witnessed episode at the Harrison gathering two years ago, and never been injured. I did bump my head on the curb at the Harrison fall, but am smart enough to wear my helmet EVERY time I get on the bike (except once, thank goodness no incident that time), so no damage was done.

I find that I tend to grab Rich instead of the handles when the bike begins to tip (in slow-speed tipovers) and drag him off with me! :shock: Tell her if she sees she's coming off the bike to tuck and roll...it's always worked for me.. LOL

The bike will generally stop when the engine guard touches down. As long as you're wearing your gear and neither of you panics, you will not be injured in a slow-speed tip. I have no experience (knock wood) with high-speed getoffs, but I am told that one should attempt to push off and away from the bike, and DO NOT roll, as that's the way to get multiple injuries. I hope that I will never have the opportunity to test that advice.

B

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Da Momma got slam dunked once before I could tell her to step off. :oops:
It didn't take her long to figure it out. As I understand it she just kind of walks off the side. I've only been yelled at once and that was the first time.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
practice.. she needs practice. That's what I told her the third time we went over on that one trip.... (28" inseam doesn't work well...)

After the practice, she has come up with one action I don't fully understand yet, On the way over she uses a closed fist forcefully on the side of my helmet to steady herself. I'll ask her more about the purpose of this when i see her at lunch.:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
you could put one of those "007" ejection seats on the back
.. tie it into the tilt sensor if you really wanted to get fancy..

:joke:

Dennis
I'm thinking she'd be PO'd if I ripped her feet off like that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
On a recent ride, I wound up in stop-n-go traffic behind another two-up touring bike for several miles. The brand isn't important other than to mention that I don't believe the passenger had grab handles to hold onto.
At every stop, this passenger would reach back with her right hand and grab the edge of the trunk/tour pak. I'm not sure if she was planning on holding on if they went over but it did strike me as curious.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Only time I ever dropped the Wing with the wife aboard was on a soft, sandy road in south Ga.
We were going slow but the bike went down in a hurry. It simply threw her off.
I don't know what I got tangled up with, but I broke a bone in my Right Ankle.

I know the natural reaction is to throw out your leg, and try to catch the bike. Very bad thing to do. It is way too heavy.

Several years ago riding solo, I had a bike stall while pulling away from a stop sign, and leaning. I threw out my leg, and the gas tank hit me in the knee on the way down, and broke the knee joint.

Every experience will be different. I just hope, none of us ever drop another motorcycle.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the bike want to go over with the SO on board a couple of weeks ago...came to a stop on a sharp, banked curve at a stop sign, and didn't have the bars turned to the high side. Had feet down, but the bike kept just trying to fall downhill (to the left in this case).

The SO stuck her leg down and between both of us, saved the drop :yes1: (this would have been my indoctrination into the drop club).

Anyway, later she asked if she did the right thing...I told her as long as we weren't moving, it was probably OK. This drop happened in super-slow motion. If we were moving, it would have been a bad idea. I'm going to have her read this thread for more insight and experience from others, as we don't go 2-up very often...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts