GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what would you want?

What are the features you most use? What would you most like to see available?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This should be an informative thread. We may find out that what we want is already there but don't know how to access it. I would like to route to a destination by using a particuler road as much as possible. I.E. go across Tennessee and Arkansas on highway 64 only leaving it when absolutely (crossing the Mississippi river) and then returning to it. I also would like to insert a waypoint into the current route and still get to the destination without backtracking.
Jack, Garmin 2720 new user

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
First I would want it to be both touch screen and voice command operated. They can make 100 dollar phones that work with voice commands, why not a $1000 GPS. You should be able to wear gloves and the buttons and screen still work. Buttons on the left.

Second Blue-tooth for the phone, voice commands and the music. The blue tooth units should be able to talk to each other so that if your riding buddy needs the route also you can send it to his unit with his permission.

Third is you should be able to customize the screens to your hearts content. Layout, data fields, Font style, size and colors. What order the pages are in. The triangle should not be centered on the unit but off to the side so that the map shows more of where you are going and less of where you have been.

Fourth is as many damn way-points as you want, with the ability to add custom way-point symbols that show up on the GPS. Have the ability to have 10 different categories for way-points. Ability to add more info to the way-points so you can see it when you click on it.

Fifth is it should be able to hold tracklogs with enough points to get the job done and the ability to store at least 2 weeks worth of tracks. It should be able to backtrack and you should be able to store the track as a route right on the unit if you want.

Sixth is the screen should be large enough to see and not wash out in the sun. You should be able to touch the screen without worrying about damaging it.

Seventh is it should have to ask if you want it to recalculate, not do it automatically.

Eighth is you should be able to detour to a gas station or restaurant with just a click of a button and then continue the route when done.

Ninth is more of a map source problem but the info is terrible, and the listing should have more info with it. ex: is the gas station 24hours

Tenth is it should have mp3 and sat radio, audio book capabilities and you should be able to do memo's with it.

Last but the most important for me is Nexrad weather radar. I wont be without it any more and until they get a touch screen with It I will always have two GPS.

Custom installs by Jon @ Goldwinggadgets.com

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Jack D said:
This should be an informative thread. We may find out that what we want is already there but don't know how to access it. I would like to route to a destination by using a particuler road as much as possible. I.E. go across Tennessee and Arkansas on highway 64 only leaving it when absolutely (crossing the Mississippi river) and then returning to it. I also would like to insert a waypoint into the current route and still get to the destination without backtracking.
Jack, Garmin 2720 new user
Call Garim, ask for a copy of mapsource and install it on your PC, than you can do routes and stay on what ever road you want, add stops ( waypoints) Etc, download them to the GPS..

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
On my 2720 I wish the data fields were transparent, larger screen, does more than I'll ever need as it is now.

On my Nav unit on the 07....., wish you could download routes and waypoints to the unit, touch screen, change voices, dump the unverified road crap, again does more than I'll need on it also...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wish List

I would just like to have a choice of , faster, shorter, and Scenic. Scenic would have a register of all the "green dotted" roads that are on paper maps and selecting scenic would take you on those whenever possible. I have the 2820 and had the 2610 prior to this and the 2610 seemed alot easier to set the custom roads for what I was wanting to ride. I have trouble with just avoid, prefer, ect rather than the sliding bars on the 2610

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think motorcyclemom40 should really tell us what a GPS should have. But seriously, without myself having one, she brought up alot of good points. I am just trying to think of something that she left out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would also like it to refill the bike when low on fuel and pay for the gas without going into the station. Also keep the beer cold. Obviously just kidding.

To be honest I hardly use most of the features I have on the 2610 now but could not get by with a Honda Navi. I don't want a bunch of other items like MP3, weather, and phone.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My 2610 does everything that I want it to do,but it would be nice to have a locater built in.

I currently have a StarTraxx tracking device.
https://star-traxx.com/

This periodically sends a signal to a satellite that eventually is recorded on a web page.I can then allow any body that I want to log on to the web page and see my latest reported location.It's not in real time,but reports at least once an hour.I can also allow certian people the ability to page the unit.A light will flash showing me that someone is trying to getin touch with me.
This is kind of a peace of mind for my wife if she hasn't heard from me for a while.Also,if something were to happen to me on some remote road,at least there would be a point to start looking for me.

It seems that this feature could be easily built into a GPS

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Good list Sheila. I mean that seriously.

Now I have a question for you. Does your husband ever have any trouble knowing exactly just what you want :?: :lol: :lol:

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
5Ross said:
Now I have a question for you. Does your husband ever have any trouble knowing exactly just what you want :?: :lol: :lol:
Like most men he sometimes has trouble remembering sometimes :lol:

Seriously though I have been helping a friend who was looking at gps when the screen on my 2610 started getting funky. I figured if I have to pay 225 to fix it plus shipping and stuff I might as well look over the new ones. They all do a little of what I like but not one unit seems to cover it all.
I am really looking at the zumo mostly because of the blue tooth. I do like to use my phone at night, esp on those long stretches of highway. It would also be nice to be able to make reservations at a hotel while still on the road. This way my phone can be in my pocket and staying dry.

·
Registered
788 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
First I would want it to be both touch screen and voice command operated. They can make 100 dollar phones that work with voice commands, why not a $1000 GPS. You should be able to wear gloves and the buttons and screen still work. Buttons on the left.

Second Blue-tooth for the phone, voice commands and the music. The blue tooth units should be able to talk to each other so that if your riding buddy needs the route also you can send it to his unit with his permission.

Third is you should be able to customize the screens to your hearts content. Layout, data fields, Font style, size and colors. What order the pages are in. The triangle should not be centered on the unit but off to the side so that the map shows more of where you are going and less of where you have been.

Fourth is as many damn way-points as you want, with the ability to add custom way-point symbols that show up on the GPS. Have the ability to have 10 different categories for way-points. Ability to add more info to the way-points so you can see it when you click on it.

Fifth is it should be able to hold tracklogs with enough points to get the job done and the ability to store at least 2 weeks worth of tracks. It should be able to backtrack and you should be able to store the track as a route right on the unit if you want.

Sixth is the screen should be large enough to see and not wash out in the sun. You should be able to touch the screen without worrying about damaging it.

Seventh is it should have to ask if you want it to recalculate, not do it automatically.

Eighth is you should be able to detour to a gas station or restaurant with just a click of a button and then continue the route when done.

Ninth is more of a map source problem but the info is terrible, and the listing should have more info with it. ex: is the gas station 24hours

Tenth is it should have mp3 and sat radio, audio book capabilities and you should be able to do memo's with it.

Last but the most important for me is Nexrad weather radar. I wont be without it any more and until they get a touch screen with It I will always have two GPS.

Custom installs by Jon @ Goldwinggadgets.com
What Sheila said, but especially a worthwhile track-log (at least 10K points)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Ode to Bitchin' Betty!

I would like mine to be as cheap as the paper maps you buy at the side of the road, and have the wisdom to never lead me down a nonexistent road, or try to make me drive through a power plant, insane asylum or corrections facility. And like paper maps, it must be just as readable. It must not be so insane that if I decide to take a slightly different route down an interesting road, that the arrival time does not get shorter (!), for I do not want it proving to me it has selected a worse and less scenic route in one fell swoop. I would like to have it's touch screen last a lot more than 369 days, for failing just days out of warrantee is both uncool, and ominous. I would not like to pay more than a paper map to get an update that fails to show any improvement in it's knowledge of the world around me.

Heres to you bitchin' betty :capwin: for convincing me that technology has it's place and it's time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Things that are important in a GPS for me in no particular order (which is very similar to what Sheila is asking for in a GPS):

- Track logs for >2 weeks of travel (~15k miles minimum storage) that is customizable and maintains the date/time information for each point when stored with a resolution that actually sticks to roads. Unlimited track log preferred
- Operation by buttons as well as touch screen (basically two seperate input methods possible to achieve the same result - I can operate the GPS blindly through the buttons by now. A Touch screen will always require looking at the screen to make sure the right button is pressed)
- Buttons on the left side instead of the right
- Weather information (current & forecast)
- XM Radio or MP3 functionality (MP3 with at least 10GB of storage)
- Screen data customizable (what to display and where)
- Ability to display input voltage
- Battery operated as well as vehicle powered
- Portable to multiple vehicles
- Direct sunlight readable screen
- High resolution screen with a good size (not to big as it well get clunky when attached to the handlebars) - a scren 10 inches wide with 320x240 points is far worse than a 5 inch with 800x600 resolution
- No automatic route recalculation
- Ability to display exit information on the freeway quickly with information about available gas stations, preferribaly configurable so that it automatically displays how far to the next "Travel Plaza" or similar. This data would be best to have constantly on screen when on a freeway.
- Online Trafic data with automatic detour recommendations
- Bluetooth for the Phone is nice, but not that important
- Bluetooth for route anouncements would be nice (one less cable, but requires new integration components everywhere)
- Bluetooth betwen units for simple transfers

With all those requirements for me the best fit right now is the 378. The Zumo or 26xx series aren't close to my personal key requirements.

Reiner

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'd like to see a modular design, with insertable modules that I could add or take out as required.

If I want XM, I plug in the XM module. If I want an MP3 player, I plug that in. If I want a radar detector, I add that. If I want an FM modulator, that gets stuck in. Bluetooth, cell-phone, weather/traffic, and so on... The list of modules would as long as there are different users. But this would be a truly customizable design.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts