GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Des has a new place at Destination Daytona and he would like to all come pay him a visit at his new digs. He won't have his trailer setup this year so if you want to see him stop by his new place.

New Destination Daytona Store
348 Destination Daytona Lane, Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Grand opening Bikeweek Feb. 27, 2009

·
Registered
317 Posts
Des has come a longway since he started tweaking his personal seat on his Valkyrie. That is a nice looking building!!!!!!! A lot warmer area than he is used to as well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'd KILL for a HEATED Ultimate so I don't have to use the stocker when it is cold (like my trip up to TN when it was 25 in the a.m.!!)

Sure missed the Ultimate on that ride, but the heat was nice!

Dave

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I just stopped by there today to get a close look at the seats and was shocked at the response I got when I asked about a heated version. Simply, "no, we don't make a heated version". When I asked about why and pointed out that ALL 2009 Goldwings come with heated seats and I was sure a number of people would pass on an Ultimate seat rather than lose the heat I got a blank stare and a repeat of, "No heat".

They seem like great people but I don't understand the absolute refusal to build something a customer is standing there willing to pay for. Seems a tad arrogant and I thought Corbin had the market cornered on arrogance.......

Just to be clear, I was not talking to the owner, it was one of the sales guys. Seems the owner is up north this week.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
They seem like great people but I don't understand the absolute refusal to build something a customer is standing there willing to pay for. Seems a tad arrogant and I thought Corbin had the market cornered on arrogance.......
They ARE great people, and it has nothing to do with what you refer to as arrogance. To get the whole answer, I went right to Des Hockley, owner of Ultimate Seats. He is a friend, and he gave me the OK to post his reply to my question about the future of heated Ultimate Seats...

"Hi Brian, the Honda heated seat is operated and controlled through the bikes computer and the only way to make our seat work using the factory system would be to transpose the complete wiring harness and heating pads from a stock seat into ours, this is not feasible for many reasons. The other way is to bypass the stock system and install a completely separate heating system into our seat with a separate control system. This involves a complete retooling of our molds to accommodate the pads into our memory foam and the harness into our base pans at a cost of around $30,000 and then the system must be made waterproof which is another liability issue. All things considered we decided to stay away from heated seats.

When the stock heated seats are unplugged the heated grips are also lost so what we are working on now is a plug in loop connecter so the heated grips will still operate when the heated seats are unplugged, this seems to be the main issue with most Wingers, they are not fussed with loosing the seat heat if they can retain the heated grips.

Besides all this the best way to keep warm in cold weather is a heated jacket, pants and gloves, all the heated seat does is warm your butt."

So, there you have it kiddies..., the truth, the whole truth, and nothing "butt" the truth..., right from the horse's mouth. No more need for speculation or conjecture. ;)

G

·
They ARE great people, and it has nothing to do with what you refer to as arrogance. To get the whole answer, I went right to Des Hockley, owner of Ultimate Seats. He is a friend, and he gave me the OK to post his reply to my question about the future of heated Ultimate Seats...

"Hi Brian, the Honda heated seat is operated and controlled through the bikes computer and the only way to make our seat work using the factory system would be to transpose the complete wiring harness and heating pads from a stock seat into ours, this is not feasible for many reasons. The other way is to bypass the stock system and install a completely separate heating system into our seat with a separate control system. This involves a complete retooling of our molds to accommodate the pads into our memory foam and the harness into our base pans at a cost of around $30,000 and then the system must be made waterproof which is another liability issue. All things considered we decided to stay away from heated seats.

When the stock heated seats are unplugged the heated grips are also lost so what we are working on now is a plug in loop connecter so the heated grips will still operate when the heated seats are unplugged, this seems to be the main issue with most Wingers, they are not fussed with loosing the seat heat if they can retain the heated grips.

Besides all this the best way to keep warm in cold weather is a heated jacket, pants and gloves, all the heated seat does is warm your butt."

So, there you have it kiddies..., the truth, the whole truth, and nothing "butt" the truth..., right from the horse's mouth. No more need for speculation or conjecture. ;)

Fair enough I guess, I called them and was ready to buy a seat until they said no heat. Waiting on my Russell Day Long to arrive...:thumbup:

Geof

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

I don't doubt they are good people, I got that vibe when I was in there BUT, they didn't explain it to me, they just said no. I really don't understand why they don't publish that in their site and inform their people of the reality so they can answer questions posed to them. Maybe Des can use this as a learning experience.

BTW, Corbin manages to do Honda heat for a $400 upcharge but they have been offering heated seats on bikes that didn't have them for a while so I guess they have some of the tooling issues resolved.

Regardless, I agree the heated seat is not critical and after riding for 200 miles on the stock seat of the rental I have I'll be paying Des a visit within a day of buying my own Wing. The stock seat is a literal pain in the ass but I suppose that could be because the bike / seat have 52000 miles on them and the seat looks like it's been the subject of many 300lb+ riders.... It's pretty much a flat board.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have two of Des's seats for my Rune and like them both a lot. That said, I am not about to part with the heated seat for the Wing. I wonder if they will take our stock seat that is heated and do their magic on that.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I don't doubt they are good people, I got that vibe when I was in there BUT, they didn't explain it to me, they just said no. I really don't understand why they don't publish that in their site and inform their people of the reality so they can answer questions posed to them.
I wasn't there, so I cant comment on the "mood" of the exchange, so I just went right to Des to get his take on it.

BTW, Corbin manages to do Honda heat for a $400 upcharge but they have been offering heated seats on bikes that didn't have them for a while so I guess they have some of the tooling issues resolved.
Any tooling issue can be resolved with $$$$. But in this case, there's also liability issues that only he and his lawyers are aware of. If memory serves me correctly, at one time Ultimate offered a heated option with some of its seats (Valk, I think), but that has gone the way of the do-do bird, so maybe experience has already taught him a lesson. ;)

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I have two of Des's seats for my Rune and like them both a lot. That said, I am not about to part with the heated seat for the Wing. I wonder if they will take our stock seat that is heated and do their magic on that.
From what I read in Des's e-mail, I doubt it. Mind you, he has been known to do special one-off seats as a favor, so you never know... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts