GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've ridden the Stones (first two sets) and now the Dunlops. I'm not at all happy with the wet weather traction of the Dunlops especially on tar snakes. I never had any problems that way with the stones. The major problem of the stones was the front tire cupping and the miserable mileage. For those of you that have had the stones and the metzlers, which gave you the best mileage and how did they react with tar snakes in the rain. Thanks for you help.

Lennnie in Michigan

Keep on Truckin'[/img]

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well Lennnie, I'm sure yer gonna git all kinds of different responses about tires, I've ran th Stones, Dunlops, & th Metzs, i prefer th Metz as they don't cup on th front near as bad as th Stones , although ta be fair i never did try th new improved Stone for th front , th rear Metz seem ta hold their rounded profile longer than th rear Stones & grip way better than th Dunlops in th wet. Mileage is about th same on all three for me i'm averagin 12,000 for th rears & 14,000 for th fronts. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My order of preference:
1. Metzeler
2. Bridgestone
3. Dunlop

and I'll let you know if Dunlop drops to 4 after the Avons come out.

Not saying any are bad,
just the order I rate them in my personal unbiased opinion.

However, Dunlop is the best seller (for now)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My thoughts

I really like the Metzelers. Unfortunately I got a couple of the out-of-round rear tires that had to be replaced, but my guess is that while Metzeler is getting ready to do their next run they will have taken care of theis problem. Often the rear tire can make one think they have a problem with the front. Best way to tell is if you have a wobble or vibration that is outside of the "normal" 35-45 mile range. I could tell I had a problem starting from zero.

That being said, when you have a good set of Metz on, they can't be beat, both in handling and wear. I run the Metz on my Valk (get less mileage on the Valk tires, however) and always felt very secure in the turns, which I have been known to hit pretty hard. On the Wing, the tires handle great also and they get better mileage. I have aobut 14k on the front and have another few K left. Rear has about 8k on it and looks almost new. So, yes, very pleased.

NOTE: All of these front tires that have tread that twist to the left or right will cup. The rear does not do it too much, since you have both acceleration and deceleration (braking) forces to keep the wear on both ends of the twist. Since the front tire has only deceleration forces, it "cups" where the braking forces are applied. I prefer this tread design since it handles better on roads that have been grooved and also on steel grate surfaces.

My original tires were the Bridgestones and I got about 10k out of them -- had about 2k left but I was starting a trip and replaced them. They were okay, but did not handle nearly as well as the Metz in my opinion. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you guys talking about the OEM Bridgestone that came with the Wing and were later discontinued because of the poor wear and copping problems, or the newer replacements ?

Marc

·
Registered
21,099 Posts
Have used them all and they were all good but prefer #1 Metzlers best all around performance,smoothest ride I ever had on a 1800 they are incredible! bought mine on a couple of Hals sales. Dunlops worked fine for me except in the rain they slipped a few times unexpected,excellent tread life,lowest cost. Bridgestone have excellent grip and make riding the 1800 loads of fun but tread life is somewhat shorter and purchase price is high. :yw1:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Currently running the Dunlop’s (original equipment) and have around 12K on them – they need to be replaced real soon; have had the Metzler’s on order for quite some time now from Hal. I believe the backorder is due to a shortage of front tires. The Dunlop’s are OK at best in my opinion – a little scary in the rain but all right in dry riding conditions.

My plan is to wear out the Metzler’s and try the Avon’s – I really like the way they look. Anxious to hear feedback once they (Avon's) are readily available on the open market for the GL1800.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
In my opinion the Stones will greatly out handle the Metzlers. I can't tell you anything about the mileage on the Metzs since I have only put about 1,800 miles on mine in the last two weeks.

Too much input needed to get the bike over with Metzlers. The Metzlers feel like a car tire to me! :( This is my last set of Metzlers unless I get a good 20,000 miles out of them! (ain't gonna happen) LOL..... I also have the steering head shake that is getting worse every day!

I feel I made a mistake buying Metzlers instead of Stones! :oops:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the stone

I have had 2 set of stones and 2 sets of Metzlers. I like the stones the best, the Metzlers were not a smooth a ride as the stones, but do seem to get better milage. But for the best ride give me the stones.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hi Bud, it was nice meeting you Sunday at "G"

Like I told you Sunday the Metzlers are GREAT. I have another set on order from Hal. Just waiting for the front one to get here & then I will be ready for spring to get here. Holly & I were really impressed with chapter "G". You have a good group of members.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gee Red, what's wrong with this picture??? This is back-assward!

I've run Metz since replacing the OEM Bridgestones, and wouldn't ever go back to the 'stones. The Metz handle so responsively, it's like trying to balance on top of a ball, they just want to turn.

The Stones, at a mere 5k miles, wore such a flat grove on the tires, those were like riding on car tires. I dumpted them at 7k and never looked back.

Are you running enough tire pressure? Don't you have a round profile on those Metz?

??did Red really said:
the Stones will greatly out handle the Metzlers
Something seriously wrong there.

Brian

Red said:
In my opinion the Stones will greatly out handle the Metzlers. I can't tell you anything about the mileage on the Metzs since I have only put about 1,800 miles on mine in the last two weeks.

Too much input needed to get the bike over with Metzlers. The Metzlers feel like a car tire to me! :( This is my last set of Metzlers unless I get a good 20,000 miles out of them! (ain't gonna happen) LOL..... I also have the steering head shake that is getting worse every day!

·
Registered
134 Posts
On my third set of tires in 15 months. First 2 sets were Stones and I loved them. We do ALOT of twisties and almost as much peg scraping :wink:. The Stones never let me down. Wet weather traction was good also (and we're no strangers to riding in the rain). I averaged around 10K on the Stones. On account of this, I thought I'd give the Metzlers a try. Gets kinda expensive replacing tires every 5 months or so. Was real hesitant to change but I'm SO glad I did. The ride is so much softer/smoother. First time I rode with them, I thought someone had messed with my suspension setting. As for grip? These babys are solid and will go as low as you want to go. Great in the rain too. Biggest adjustment was getting used to them in the curves. They "roll" alot easier than the Stones making (counter)steering feel even quicker than it already is...like riding a sport bike. Not necessarily a bad thing if ya know what I mean :D. As for mileage? I've got 8K on this set and still have plenty of tread. My next set will definitely be Metzlers. Good luck!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Bullwingle said:
Gee Red, what's wrong with this picture??? This is back-assward!
I don't have a clue what is wrong with this picture! LOL... The Metzlers handle okay, but I have to work to get the bike to lean and turn. With the Stones it was effortless! :)

Maybe the first 37,000 miles on Stones spoiled me! I couldn't have ask for a better sticking and riding tire. I went to the Metz's to see if I could get a few more miles than with the Stones. My mistake! :(

The front Metz I have on the bike now looks terrible. It is barely rounded on the sides, it is almost squared off like a car tire. I think that is making it hard to get the 1800 over. I only weigh 210 lbs so maybe I need more meat on my frame! LOL....

I'm running 42 & 42 in the Metz's. Rear suspension at 20-25. I scrape the undercarriage, muffler covers, and case guards of the 1800 on a regular basis so I think I know what I like in a tire! :shock: I do know this is my last set of Metzlers. It ruined the handling of this 1800!

They sell different brands for a reason I guess. Some people want different things out of a tire.

Next is for me to try the Avons. The Avon changed the personality of the Valk, so maybe they will do the same for the 1800!

Take care.......

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought my Stones handled very well and had reserved a new set prior to taking a track course at Infineon (Sears Point) raceway. When I arrived at the shop, the Stones were on back order and I had no choice but to try the Metzlers. I put them on and rode about 500 miles in the mountains to scuff them up and get used to them. They outhandled the stones by a wide margin. I did the track course and ground the paint off the belly pan. The nuts are gone from under my foot pegs and both the pegs and my boots were ground to a fine edge. The tires never slipped and the feel was fantastic. The participants on sport bikes couldn't believe how the old f**t on the Gold Wing was smokin them coming out of the turns. At this point my first choice is Metzler, then Bridgestone (reluctantly) and Dunlop NEVER. Because of Avons reputation, once some reports start coming back, I may try a set on my 1800. However, for now I go with Metzler.

Bob

G

·
Metzler v Stone - No Contest

My OEM 'Stones lasted 9000 miles at which time the front was totally shot and the rear was as flat as a car tire and down to the wear bars. They were not subjected to much aggressive riding either. I put on Metz ME880 late last summer and what a difference. The ride is smoother, the traction better, and the handling is night and day compared to the 'Stones. The experience through curves is not to be believed. Kinda like being on an 800 pound sport bike. With the rounder tire profile just shifting your weight and a little countersteering has the bike moving like it's on rails. I've put 2000 miles on them and they show no wear yet.

I'm sold. It'z Metz for me from now on.

Rob (from Hoosierville)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
In 2W mode the ME880's were the best for me, even when the rear caused a wobble at low speeds.

In 2+1 Mode we are using Blizzak rear, 'Lop 204 front & Mich Rainforce on the side.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Red said:

I've been meaning to ask you what you thought of the Metzlers. I know you were as happy with the Bridgestones as I was and you ride as hard as I do so thanks for posting that here.
I'll trade tire life anyday for the additional traction and safety that goes along with it.
From what I gather you're not happy with the "Turn-in" of the Metzlers but do they hold the line in the same way as the Bridstones? Can corner A be taken at the same MPH at the apex as with Bridgestones. You know if you didn't lift your foot off the inside peg or slide your boot all the way back to just have your toe on the peg you didn't take the corner fast enough. LOL :sw1: :goflag:

·
Registered
40 Posts
O2 (Sept 9-11-01))
Have 57254 miles.
Fourth set of tires, had all the other brands mentioned...
AND..I too, went back to the new improved Stones..........
Lets ride em;
www.pashnit.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts