GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the owner's manual for my new-to-me 2003 GW1800, it talks about using the key code to have a key made in an emergency. The previous owner didn't give me that number but I found this (picture) while doing winter maint and mods. Is this the code that the manual is referring to...LKPO? If not, is there some other place I can find it stamped that is visible now that I've got the MC opened up? TIA.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
The key code is stamped on a metal tag that hangs from one of the 2 keys when the bike is delivered new. To my knowledge, the "LKPO" at this level, has no value.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Do they stamp the number on the original key?

No, they're pretty much blank. As to having a copy made, it can be done, but if it isn't perfect the key will only work in one direction so you have to play with it. By having one made with the code, it's a perfect fit. I had one made from a guy on eBay, just sent the code to him and I got a factory Honda key cut correctly.

Look on the back of the gas door lock as Red said, you'll find the key code right there. That's the one you need.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I had a spare key made from my original key without the code. So long as you have the proper blank and a locksmith that knows what he or she is doing shouldn’t be a problem...

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you don't want to spend the money for an OEM key, just go to a place that cuts keys and get the access 27 key. This one has the steel head not the rubber head that will not work in the ignition. Have it cut off the original key. I carry one in my wallet. Also you can cut them and add a radio knob to use for the gas door and right box. Do a search and you will find how to do it. I got mine cut at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Honda used to have the code on the bottom of the switch. It required removal of the switch to access it.
Not sure on the Wing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts