GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ignition lock for front wheel won't unlock. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks Terry

·
Registered
177 Posts
Kind of like the stearing whel on your car, sometimes you have to apply a little counter pressure on the bars to take the pressure off the lock, then turn the key.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
About all you can do is use a good Silicone lube in the ignition key, straddle the bike and wiggle the bars back and forth while trying to get it to give.

May eventually have to go in after it.

Could be the ignition tumbler or the pin is bent a bit and jammed in the tree.

Try, wiggle, try, rest, go do it again, then again. Then take the bike apart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lock

Have tried the wiggle handlebars with no luck. The bad thing is it is parked on the street and not in town where I live.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
And yourusing the OEM key...correct?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lock

Yes I am using the oem key. Never had any trouble locking or unlocking it before.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Move the bars slowly as you try to turn the key....you can usally feel the give in the bars or key or both as you get to the magic spot.

And try moving the bars further away from center too, that also can help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buddy of mine had the same thing happen with his ST. Finally called out a locksmith. The locksmith took a pair of pliers grabbed the key,put some pressure on it and started tapping the top of the key with a screwdriver while applying pressure to turn it, more pressure than I would have been comfortable putting on it. It turned after several tries with this method. He said one of the tumblers was most likely stuck or missing a spring. He lubed it up real good before beginning. His comment to my buddy was to not use the fork lock anymore, said they were pretty much a "feel good" measure anyway. Good luck...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your right Lean. My Dad was a locksmith and used that same method a lot.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Make sure your pushing down as you wiggle the handlebars and turn the key...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lock

GOT IT. Had to use more force than I was comfortable with but it finally gave. Thanks for all your suggestions. Thanks Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts