GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm gonna have to change the ignition switch on my 03. I've searched but cannot locate any links on how to change it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Terry

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Terry,

I think once you take off the top cover there are 2 screws that hold the switch to the mounting bracket. Unplug the wiring to the switch and remove the screws.

If someone doesn't come up with a better answer, PM me and I will copy the pages out of my service manual when I get home and send them to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
switch

Thanks, now for the fun of trying to find one. Terry

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
switch

i locked the handlebars the other night and had a difficult time getting them unlocked.. now seems just turning key is getting harder each time to turn key on to start it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It sounds like you have bent or damaged the key.
Did you get a spare key with the bike ??

If so, try it before buying a new switch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
switch

I have a brand new one that was never used , it does the same thing.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I just looked in the Service Manual (2004) and it dosen't say.
On the GL1500 there are 2 bolts facing the front. When tightened the head snaps off by design and you will have to use a hammer and chissle to get them out. Takes time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Isn't graphite supposed to be better for locks than oily stuff? Messy as all get-out to be sure but it won't gum up as it ages.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Graphite will probably work as well. Never had a problem with WD 40 gumming up however.

The main point is to lube the switch, as you know it faces up, and rain or wash water could have created corrosion in the tumblers.

Might save the OP from having to buy a new switch if it frees it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
switch

Thanks for all your suggestions. Thanks to Paciia, and J Hughes I believe I have found a new ignition for about 140.00 at Wingstuff. Hopefully all goes well when I get the new one here to install. Thanks again for the help. Terry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Switch

I had not thought about taking it to a locksmith to see if it ccould be repaired. I will most definitely look in to that.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. Thanks to Paciia, and J Hughes I believe I have found a new ignition for about 140.00 at Wingstuff. Hopefully all goes well when I get the new one here to install. Thanks again for the help. Terry

$134.46 on our sponsors site!!!

why go anywhere else???:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would try to fix it. If you replace it, you will need to have two keys. One for ignition and the other for trunk and locking glove box, unless you take those out and spend to have the tumblers changed out. So add that to your price of the new switch. I think it just needs to be serviced. I just would not want to carry two big keys.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I would try to fix it. If you replace it, you will need to have two keys. One for ignition and the other for trunk and locking glove box, unless you take those out and spend to have the tumblers changed out. So add that to your price of the new switch. I think it just needs to be serviced. I just would not want to carry two big keys.

You can only get the ignition as a "Lock set".it comes with the other three locks that will need to be changed as well.
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/#/Ho..._TOP_BRIDGE/GL1800A-04-A/2Y14MCA1MCA4F0800DAC

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Aw Rock ya beet me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
from the 06-08 service manual:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts