GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lunch break while on a ride, I return to my bike, and was only able to get the ignition key half way in. It felt like it was bottomed out. I tried pushing and twisting the key with no luck. Got some WD-40, sprayed it into the lock. After 10 minutes of pushing and twisting, I finally got the key in. When I got home I removed the key, and was able to reinsert it ok.

Now I'm concerned this could happen again and leave me stranded. ( guessI could replace the lock assembly)

Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but WD 40 is probably the worst thing you can put into a lock cylinder. I would keep a close eye on it. The WD 40 can break down the lubricant in the lock and leave a gummy residue behind.

If it does it again, I would consider removing the lock cylinder and taking it into a locksmith and having them examine, clean, and lubricate it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to tell you this, but WD 40 is probably the worst thing you can put into a lock cylinder. I would keep a close eye on it. The WD 40 can break down the lubricant in the lock and leave a gummy residue behind.

If it does it again, I would consider removing the lock cylinder and taking it into a locksmith and having them examine, clean, and lubricate it.
Fred thanks for your advice.I agree with what you said about the wd-40 and locks. I figured that ruining the lock and getting going, was better than being stranded in a parking lot.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I agree with Fred that WD40 is not the best thing to use, but you didn't ruin the lock. I have used it in a pinch without problems. Like you said, it solved the immediate problem. One thing that is nice about WD40 is that it does a good job of washing away dirt as well as dried up oil residue. It's main drawback is that it attracts dust.

I would get some electrical degreaser that doesn't have any lubricant in it, and spray out the cylinder. It will wash away the WD40 and the original lubricant. Then, after the degreaser evaporates, use some lubricant made specifically for locks, or a very light machine oil. Teflon based lubricants also work great.

Many people recommend graphite with the thinking that since it is not oily, it won't attract dirt. But graphite can actually cause the pins to stick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
was only able to get the ignition key half way in. It felt like it was bottomed out.
Now I'm concerned this could
happen again and leave me stranded. ( guessI could replace the lock assembly)

Anyone else ever have this problem?
I had a similar situation on my 02 Yellow. It was odd. I had just taken the key out and locked the forks, then realized I wanted to catch a story on the radio, so I went to put the key back in, etc. It only went in about 2/3 of the way. I took it out, same thing. For some reason I thougt I'd try my spare key, and I have it stored in my locking fairing pocket. I sorta had to wiggle the handlebar to get into the space, and when I put the spare key in, all was right with the ignition. Took that key out and put in the original key and it's been fine ever since. That was over 3 years ago now.

I don't think the movement on the handlebars did anything, but who knows.

I just missed hearing the story on the radio.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a similar situation on my 02 Yellow. It was odd. I had just taken the key out and locked the forks, then realized I wanted to catch a story on the radio, so I went to put the key back in, etc. It only went in about 2/3 of the way. I took it out, same thing. For some reason I thougt I'd try my spare key, and I have it stored in my locking fairing pocket. I sorta had to wiggle the handlebar to get into the space, and when I put the spare key in, all was right with the ignition. Took that key out and put in the original key and it's been fine ever since. That was over 3 years ago now.

I don't think the movement on the handlebars did anything, but who knows.

I just missed hearing the story on the radio.
Maybe it's only a problem on Yellow Gold Wings.:p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my 04. The first time if happened I worked with it for about 30 minutes and finally got it free. Upon arriving home I put some graphite in to free it up. 2 months later while on a day ride it happened again. This time it took about an hour to get the key in but the fork lock mechanism would no longer work. Took it to the dealer and they replaced all of it under warranty. Dealer said something in the switch related to the fork lock had broken.

I would have it looked at ASAP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a product called Tri-Flow. Comes in a spray can like WD-40, and contains Teflon. Recommended by several locksmiths in my area. At one time, I could only find it at a locksmith shop. But, I've seen it here and there in the last few years.

I even spray it in the combination lock that hangs from the door of the shed, and takes in some rain. The danged stuff will un-stick most locks QUICKLY and I've never had a problem with any residue, etc..

Been using it for years, for LOCKS only. It's a bit expensive so I don't use it as a general lubricant for other mechanical devices, but it can be used in place of WD-40 if ya want to do so.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have restored more than one key lock with Marvel Mystery Oil. I always have a quart of MMO around the shop and what I do is to dunk the key into the MMO and then insert it into the lock. Usually takes two or three put in take out cycles before it's like new. Use it on all automotive and exterier home locks. MMO in the fuel tank once a month and you'll never have dirty injectors or dirty intake valve stems.

Also use a rust penetrating oil called PB blaster which I think has Marvel Mystery Oil in it. It is the best I've found in over 40 years of wrenching on cars, bikes, motorcycles, lawn mowers etc. for loosening rusted bolts. Also since PB comes in an areosol can you can use it to spray into a horizontally mounted lock.

I don't even own a can of WD-40 because I might be temped to use it. Do yourself a favor and give that can of WD-40 to a neighbor, that you don't like, and go buy some PB Blaster and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.

No I dont' work for MMO and I don't have stock in the company or anything like that. I'm just a very satisfied customer with extensive experience.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tri-Flow Lube

I use a product called Tri-Flow. Comes in a spray can like WD-40, and contains Teflon. Recommended by several locksmiths in my area. At one time, I could only find it at a locksmith shop. But, I've seen it here and there in the last few years.
Tri-Flow is available through Grainger at a cost of $15.58 for a 12 ounce can. It is expensive but works great.

Grainger only deals with businesses so you many need to find someone to get it for you.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I bought a can of Tri-Flow at an Ace Hardware store in Houston a few years back.

I don't know if Ace carries it anymore.

It is good stuff. In addition to the uses mentioned above, I use it as a cable lube.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Tri Flow is the best spray lube i have ever used !

Fleet Farm stores have been selling it for many years
my Honda dealer sells Tri Flow, thats where i first noticed the stuff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts