GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ignition switch on my 08 wing locked up. I can not turn the key , the handlebars were not locked at the time. Removed key to open gas lid filled up inserted key in switch would not turn.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ignition Switch

Happened to my 04. A piece of the mechanism that locks the handlebars came apart and fell into the lock. Had to be replaced under warranty. Down side is after replaced had to carry 2 Keys, 1 for the ignition and 1 for the gas lid, cubbies and saddlebags. Good luck.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Put a little motor oil on your key from ur dipstick. Give that a try.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
63 Posts
Key cylinder

If at all possible, did not introduce motor oil into the keyway. It can solidify attract dust and dirt and make the key pins really sticky and not move. If you must and stuck in a pinch, WD40 will help, but not the best. Locksmiths or a good hardware store sell a lock cylinder lubricant, either in a puffing powder or spray of some lubricant. Once every couple months treat all your most used keyway's with a qualified lubricant. Puff-Puff, Squirt-Squirt and insert the key in and out a couple times...cheap insurance. As side note, the keyways on the Wings are almost vertical and open to the elements, so it easy to introduce dirt/moisture etc, every time the key is inserted. Dave B Denver

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Best stuff I've ever used is a Teflon lock lube from DuPont sold at Lowes. If goes in wet and the carrier fluid drys leaving a Teflon coating on all the moving parts. I use this stuff on all the locks I own and it works great, makes the keys go in smooth as butter and the locks work better than new.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Well, Charlie, did you get it to work or are you stuck somewhere?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was on trip to Maggie Valley, when it stranded me and the wife at a Loves truck stop. Made it home, waiting on parts to replace switch and locks. My good friend came to our rescue about 200miles worth.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Was on trip to Maggie Valley, when it stranded me and the wife at a Loves truck stop. Made it home, waiting on parts to replace switch and locks. My good friend came to our rescue about 200miles worth.
I would take the switch off of the assembly and let a locksmith repair the lock so all your locks and keys match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts