GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we could start a thread for good eating places in IL. I happen to like BBQ, so I will start.

*Uncle Bubs BBQ in Westmont on Cass Road. Yep, not out in the "country" but real good BBQ cooked like BBQ should be.

*17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro on 17th Street. Hot spot in southern IL next to Carbondale and SIU. I make it point to eat there at least once every time I visit my daughter there in college.

*Ann Sathers on Belmont in Chicago. Yea, pain in the but to get there with all the cagers, but always a fun trip once a year from the burbs. Great breakfast.

Any others??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try Benedict's in old Crystal Lake.

a bit on the upscale side, and mostly eggs (they do have waffles, too).
They make eggs benedict, but put filet mignon in it.....AWESOME!

·
Registered
153 Posts
My favorite family restaurant (diner to the folks in the northeast) for breakfast or dinner in Addison, IL is Sunmist on Lake St. just west or Rt. 83. Excellent selection of food at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Angelo, I grew up in Addison. Wasn't Steven's Steakhouse on that corner?

How about pizza at the Pink Pony...LOL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your in Springfield you can hit Gabatoni's for pizza and pasta (other good stuff too) Chesapeake seafood house for a more higher end fare and Darcy's Pint for horseshoes (a local favorite ) as well as burger and the like.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not sure what bar you're talking about but I do recall the fried bologna sandwiches, was it "knuckleheads" by chance? If so I think they stopped providing food all together some time ago. They are near the State fairgrounds.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Sunmist has been there for at least the last 15 years that I have been going there.

There are so many Pizza places in Addison now it ain't funny. I still like Nancy's in Elmhurst for stuffed pizza.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fast Eddies in Alton ... very inexpensive and tastes great. Also good eye candy! I was there a couple of weeks ago ;)

Ride Safe and Ride Often,
Dave

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the moonshine burger, in moonshine il, was just about the best burger that I ever had, and it's a nice ride from anywhere in il.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's book it Gary, I up for the best burger in IL! Name the day, let's go....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

...miss Illinois food (not the winter) and pop in once in a while...laughed about the old Pink Pony. They used to have all you can eat crablegs, 'member?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikegypsy

I grew up in Addison too and before Sunmist was there it was a Golden Bear Pancake House (back in the 70's). Sunmist is a great restaurant and great food (breakfast is a favorite of mine)!

The Pink Pony has been gone for awhile. John's Pizza is still there. And Steven's Steakhouse is in Elmhurst on the corner of York Rd right at the entrance to Lake St/expressway going West. I was there a few years ago - not as nice as I remembered it was years ago.

If you drove down Lake Street west of Mill Road you probably wouldn't recognize it anymore. And speaking of Mill Road... remember Millie's Pancake House - still there!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Springfield, IL
Good Food, Large portions for the money - Stadium Bar and Grill by the fairgrounds Peoria Rd (9th Street)

Great Food, Elk, Bison too - Westwood Lodge - West Jefferson,

Sherman,
Authentic Mexican - Cancun Mexican Resturant - DQ right next door too!!:bow:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Peggy...Golden Bear, what a memory. There was one in Mount Prospect near Randhurst Mall...and "colleagues" of mine in HS went up there and little by little sawed at the arm until they get the arm holding the pancakes. Whole town was talking and it stayed like that a while. Wow, was that fun. Good 'cakes too! If you're older than 30's you might remember JoJo's...they had the BEST Monte Cristo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ScooterK -

I do remember JoJo and how about Addison House on the corner of Wood Dale Rd & Lake St (across from Louis'). How that corner always flooded. They finally (quite a while ago) tore all of that down and built a retention pond (go figure).

And by the way, since you mentioned Randhurst Mall. They're tearing it down. All but a couple of anchor stores (Carson's & Bed Bath & Beyond) maybe a couple more. They're going to build stand alone stores and offices on the property.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Im getting old I remember when Randhurst first opened. I remember the restaurant in the middle of the mall where you could eat and look down on the mall and shoppers. Underneath the restaurant was a circular row of shops including a toy store hobby shop I always visited. Randhurst if I remember right was the first totally enclosed mall in Ill.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Peggy if you like good pizza have you tried 2 Brothers pizza in Elmhurst? great thin crust pizza! A nice little Italian restaurant.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Feed Store in Malden, IL. About 6.5 miles east of Princeton, Il. just off US 34. Owner has a bike shop with the restaurant, and is very friendly and the food is very very good, just don't be in a hurry as the wife won't let anybody else in the kichen to cook.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts