GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Chrome wheel arrived Friday. Upon inspection I found the the person that removed the wheel bearings was a little rough on the wheel.

And some brass and chrome plating had entered the bearing area. I spent considerable time with a sanding drum on my dremel to get them ready for the bearings.

I mic'ed the bearing @ 1.653". The bearing bore was 1.651". My machinist handbook said the "Pinch" should be .0004".

I took a sanding drum and 320 grit paper and lightly sanded the bores until they were at 1.6522". That was within 8 tenths of a thousanth.

Beat down to the the local baskin/robbins and bought a couple pounds of dry ice. Froze the bearings for an hour or so and then they almost dropped in.

After I installed the new valve stem, I made an observation. The chrome shop had ground the web in between the spoke completely off. No more arrow to show the installer which way the wheel rotates. Also no rib to clamp a wheel weight on.

Now I'm not going to stick on a non'chrome weight on that pretty wheel. It looks like dynabeads are going in. Those that have tried them swear they work, those that haven't used them swear they can't work.

But I watched the video with the soft drink bottle and that convinced me.
I ordered 20 ounces. I have a 4 wheel drive truck that the dealer has tried to get the balance right on for two years,it's going to get a shot of them also.

I plan on useing it on all three trike tires plus the trailer tires I'll post a thread on the results. Just as soon as the weather breaks in a couple of months.

First it was 2 weeks waiting on the tire, then 2 more weeks waiting on the chrome wheel, now it'll be another week waiting on the beads. Good thing there's 2 more months of Winter.

I'll keep you all posted...............................

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would love to get mine chromed, but thats way down the road. As for the beads, you'll love them, I do. I only have about 500 miles on my new tires/ beads but very smooth. I have a friend that has a Ranger pick-up with 33's and he swears by the beads.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Turbine surgeon, you may want to read a little about lateral imbalance before using the beads in yout truck, car, etc. I checked both of my vehicles (Highlander and Tacoma) and both have too much lateral imbalance for the beads to do the balancing job without traditional weights being used as well.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
dynabeads

were do you buy them I tried to find them on direct line parts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
setting on the bike the right side of wheel is side that the abs brake gear bolts to...if you do not have abs the right side of the wheel will have the three holes by the bearing seal...also the longer axel spacer goes on the right side of wheel setting on bike...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts