GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were traveling from MI to Branson, MO last weekend. Around Lincoln, IL my rear tire went down. I used my Gold Book and called a member for assistance. They came and trailered our bike and trailer to Springfield, IL to RTD Motor Sports. They installed a new Elite 3, and seizing the opportunity, charged me $281 for the tire, $69.50 for the install, and some more for shop parts, for a total of over $380.00. They knew they had me over a barrel and took advantage. Don't support RTD Motor Sports in Springfield, IL. The vendor at the rally was doing a complete instal for $250.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
$281 for the tire is the list price for the tire. At $100/hour labor you were charged for aprox. 45 minutes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Doesn't sound like a rip off to me.
MSRP for the tire, 1 hr. labor for the install,@ a good rate, transport to the dealer, met some new people.
Coulda been worse................;)
the hobo

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think that they were a little high. You can have that tire delivered to your door for under $180.00, and it wouldn't seem that they should have to pay more for it than an internet dealer. No matter what the shop rate, this deal was $200 higher than the cost of the tire. I usually keep a spare mounted up and if your ever in W. PA and have an issue let me know--I'll lend you one. But in the mean time, I'll take your advice and avoid that dealer!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
They should have made $75.00, or more, of that invoice as the pick-up & trailering. Then I think you could have turned it into your insurance company for reimbursment in some amount? Ask them to change the invoice descriptions & fax you a new one.

Herb

·
Registered
589 Posts
We were traveling from MI to Branson, MO last weekend. Around Lincoln, IL my rear tire went down. I used my Gold Book and called a member for assistance. They came and trailered our bike and trailer to Springfield, IL to RTD Motor Sports. They installed a new Elite 3, and seizing the opportunity, charged me $281 for the tire, $69.50 for the install, and some more for shop parts, for a total of over $380.00. They knew they had me over a barrel and took advantage. Don't support RTD Motor Sports in Springfield, IL. The vendor at the rally was doing a complete instal for $250.
I have taken a couple of steps to hopefully prevent this from happening to me. I picked up a Slim Kit including a small compressor & bottle of Slim. In addition I have a plug kit along with me. Of course if the tire is destroyed this won't help but it does increase my odds I can at least get to the next motorcycle shop. I also have tools on board so I can pull either wheel off the bike and hopefully hitch a ride to the next shop to have a tire installed.
IMHO you were not ripped off but I agree you paid plenty.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just curious. You said the tire "went down". Did you not check to see if it could be plugged until you reached a service center? Maybe you don't carry a plug kit and compressor, but that would be my first choice. I also carry my Gold Book but if I can take care of it myself, I don't like to put anyone out. You said the dealer had you over the barrel. If you rode it in, he may have figured you could ride it out and made a little better offer!

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
You had to pay RETAIL for emergency service on a weekend?!?!?!

The Horror!!! The Horror!!!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I think I would be willing to pay a little extra if I was stranded. Most shops are booked pretty tight. In order to get you in, they have to pull you off someone else's ride to fix yours. Think about how you would feel if you came in thinking your bike would be ready and you see the tech working on someone else's bike? Let's say, you were getting ready to leave on a trip that day and needed your bike. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Interesting situation here.

I guess this dealer charged you emergency rates but didn't do anything illegal.

Like hoss said, with the riding season here, shops are busy and are very careful about working on a strangers rides while 80% of the work are dedicated buyers that are repeat customers waiting for service.

I would be happy with this service then be on my way.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If by "they" you mean the dealer trailered both your bike and trailer along with taking two people to the dealer on a weekend, changed your tire and only charged you an hours time and list price on the tire. I think you made out very well all things considered.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If by "they" you mean the dealer trailered both your bike and trailer along with taking two people to the dealer on a weekend, changed your tire and only charged you an hours time and list price on the tire. I think you made out very well all things considered.
I think the guy from the Goldbook did the trailering

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I gotta agree with the other guys. You weren't at the rally, you didn't have the tools to do the work yourself. You were taken to a dealership who was willing to drop whatever they were doing and fix your bike and they had the nerve to charge list for a tire plus install fee.
Do you know what they usually would charge if it was scheduled work?
They made you an offer and you accepted it. You could always have said no and had the bike taken somewhere else.
But I guess you showed them, nothing like the power of the internet to run people down with one side of a story.:congrats:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I fall into the camp that says, if you go into a dealership you should expect to pay retail. To me that's basically what happened here.

For example I needed a tire mounted this last Saturday. I took my rear wheel with old tire still on it along with a new tire that I bought from Hal to my local Yamaha dealer (I know but the closest Honda shop or any shop that I have any confidence in is about 20 miles one way). They charged me $35 to remove the old tire and mount the new one. I thought that was a little steep but I don't have my own tire machine and that's what it cost me to get a tire mounted.

After I thought about it for awhile I realized that Texas has a four dollar fee per tire for recycling. So $35 minus the $4 for the recycling fee brought the cost down to $31 for the tire change. Still a little high but I got it done on Saturday in less than an hour.

Walt

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Considering they fixed you up right on the spot, and didn't make you wait, I think you got a fair deal.

If I were on a trip and had problems, I be glad to find a dealer like this one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Next time have them take you to Gene's Gallery in Springfield. These guys seem like an honest shop!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts