GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to take Illusion Blue for a ride,it was the first MC ride in over 6 months.
I had back surgery end of Feb. where the Dr removed the disc between L4 & L5 and fused the two vertebrates together,I also had some nerve damage one nerve was nealy cut in half from a bone spur and another nerve nicely tucked in between two bones...Man will those nerves talk to you :)

Back to the riding I was able to get the bike out last Sunday for the first time.The ride was a baby step hopefully in the right direction?
I was only able to ride 50 miles far from the 700-1100 mile days I have grown accustom to the past 6 years riding the greatest touring machine! The ride was very cautious just riding mainly straight back blacktops with very few curves or traffic.
The only problem after the short ride I was back in pain again in my back for about three days with pain in my left rear pocket and down into my leg,I sure hope they were healing pains???

I have questions?? I guess time will tell about my long distance riding future???
I would like to hear from members that have had simular back surgeries,one question how many miles are you able to ride in a day after a proceedure of this nature??...
Am I going to be able to ride 12-19 hour days again?? I sure hope so before the wing I really hadn't travelled much of the USA,since the purchase of the wing I have travelled half the country riding and some of the greatest MC roads in the nation and visiting some of our countries popular National Parks.

I am heading out again this morning for my second ride in 6 months,it will probably be another long 50 mile ride lol

Hope everyone has a safe riding weekend!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I can't help you with any advice. I just wanted to say welcome back. I'm glad to read that you are riding again.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you are lucky as myself,,, I had 2 back surgerys on L5, S1 in 2001.... Only 10 months apart.... Within 6 weeks I was back riding like nothing was ever wrong.... I can ride 600 mile days and not suffer any back problems ever.......... Hope you are as lucky........ Every once and a while,,, my left foot gets tingly and numb,,,, but after back pain,,, anyone could live with this little problem.......... I still work,, own muffler installation business,, and believe me,,, under cars all day long on concrete floor is not easiest work,,,,,,,,,,, May your outcome be a good as mine............

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not like it used to be...

Had the same surgery (L4 and 5) a little over 3 years ago. Like you, I didn't ride at all for several months. My experience, however, was different. I happily discovered that riding actually relieved the pain in my back as long as I forced my lumbar into the seat back and sat fairly erect. That's still true today but, like you, I can't do the 700+ mile days anymore. About 350 is my new max without getting into serious back pain.

The pain you experienced in your butt and leg sound like an inflamed nerve. It may take several more months before the nerves calm down but, unless you still have pressure on them, the nerve pain should subside. That said, I still get an occasional jolt in my right leg.

Patience, patience, patience. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations on getting back to ride! That is good news.

:congrats:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob and Bill Thanks for the encouraging words and experienced shared with another post back surgery patient.

This is the hardest 6 months I have had,normally I am a very active person riding,camping,fishing,hunting,working around our farm,and owning a heating/cooling co. for the past 21 years along with raising a family...I have been bored to death these past 6 months sure hope to get back to normal soon

Thanks again
Illusionblue_wing

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Quote-
The only problem after the short ride I was back in pain again in my back for about three days with pain in my left rear pocket and down into my leg. "

The pain going into your leg sounds like the sciatic nerve that can make you psychotic.
I had a knee surgery a few years ago and and the sciatic nerve got inflamed, it was there every day for about three months.
The doctor told me not to carry my wallet in my back pocket, he said it would put more pressure on the nerve. At the time i did carry my wallet in my back left pocket.So i stopped doing that, it helped a lot.
Best of luck to you,and have a great ride.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Glad you're beginning to get back at it. I can only imagine how tough it's been looking at your bike and but hearing your doctors. Sure hope any physical therapy includes wing riding.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the same surgery many years ago and my riding pain has actually become less over time as the back was in bad shape before the surgery. The best suggestion that I can make is to get a utopia back rest if you don't already have one. I could never ride as much as I do without it.
Greg

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Blue, I'm glad your back in the saddle again. I have back pain most of the time, but unlike you riding is the one thing that don't bother it. My hope and prayer is that the pain subsides and you can ride pain free once again!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on getting back to ride! That is good news.

:congrats:
Thanks Stearman just made it back from 116 miles sure feels good to get back on the "Big Girl"

Quote-
The only problem after the short ride I was back in pain again in my back for about three days with pain in my left rear pocket and down into my leg. "

The pain going into your leg sounds like the sciatic nerve that can make you psychotic.
I had a knee surgery a few years ago and and the sciatic nerve got inflamed, it was there every day for about three months.
The doctor told me not to carry my wallet in my back pocket, he said it would put more pressure on the nerve. At the time i did carry my wallet in my back left pocket.So i stopped doing that, it helped a lot.
Best of luck to you,and have a great ride.
Thanks Slim those nerves sure can get your attention.

Glad you're beginning to get back at it. I can only imagine how tough it's been looking at your bike and but hearing your doctors. Sure hope any physical therapy includes wing riding.
Hey Twyn Thanks!
It's been tough looking at the Wing in the garage wondering??? Doc doesn't know about my last two outings Shhhhhhh lol :) :joke:

I had the same surgery many years ago and my riding pain has actually become less over time as the back was in bad shape before the surgery. The best suggestion that I can make is to get a utopia back rest if you don't already have one. I could never ride as much as I do without it.
Greg
Thanks Greg and +1 on the utopia backrest.I was hurt at work in 08' there's no way I could've ridden the miles I have w/o the utopia and scinched backbrace these past 3 years...Glad to hear it gets better with time Thanks :thumbup:

I'll be looking for you on I-70 or 54, or 63, or wherever.

I'm on a black 2010.
Hey Viper467 I was on 54 and 1-70 for a short distance last weekend.
Today from Millersberg exit off 1-70 I did DD to D to F coming out on 54 headed towards Mexico then 22 to Centraila where I picked up Z south to 1-70 east on 70 to Hatton where I came out on M to E back to DD and home a lot of back road blacktops...I am already itching for some southern mo. riding :p

I will keep my eyes opened for you Viper and your 10' Black GW :thumbup:

Blue, I'm glad your back in the saddle again. I have back pain most of the time, but unlike you riding is the one thing that don't bother it. My hope and prayer is that the pain subsides and you can ride pain free once again!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Hey Rocketman Thank you :thumbup:
It sure feels good to be back in the saddle with the Ipod in the left pocket and the wind in my face :bow:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I saw three different surgeons that all wanted to fuse L4 through S1. The 4th surgeon said "no, not going to fuse it, just do a repair, removal , etc. So he did a disc decompression, lumbar laminectomy, Synovial Cyst removal, cleaned out some bone fragments and scaring. They had me up walking 2 hours after surgery and back on the Wing in 1 month. 3 months of therapy and I can ride as far as I want. That was over 5 years ago. Life is good. I can walk and ride.
The issue is that my wife does not like to go more than 300 to 350 miles in a day. So we do a lot of stopping for sight seeing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had back surgery four and a half years ago where the corrected some spinal stenosis, removed three disc and put in some steel apparatus.

I still have some lower back pain when I ride and have found that I can ride all day with the most being about 350 miles. I do however have to stop about every hour to stretch and walk around for ten minutes or so and this really helps relieve the pain but it will come back.

Glad to hear you are back on the road but I think I would mention "The only problem after the short ride I was back in pain again in my back for about three days with pain in my left rear pocket and down into my leg,I sure hope they were healing pains???" to your doctor. I would also recommend you continue and physical therapy exercises that you may have had prescribed.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where at in Southern Missouri? I might be interested in some of that, myself.
I really like hwy 19 to Steelville hwy 8 and Bixby,MO. area lots of nice roads in that area

I saw three different surgeons that all wanted to fuse L4 through S1. The 4th surgeon said "no, not going to fuse it, just do a repair, removal , etc. So he did a disc decompression, lumbar laminectomy, Synovial Cyst removal, cleaned out some bone fragments and scaring. They had me up walking 2 hours after surgery and back on the Wing in 1 month. 3 months of therapy and I can ride as far as I want. That was over 5 years ago. Life is good. I can walk and ride.
The issue is that my wife does not like to go more than 300 to 350 miles in a day. So we do a lot of stopping for sight seeing.
It's always good to get several opinions,glad to hear you were able to go with the trim job that worked for you.I also saw 4 different surgeons and was hoping to have the trim job(laminectomy),they all told me they didn't see why the disc hadn't ruptured?and there was not enough disc left to repair.I ended up finding a surgeon that did the DLIF procedure.
Glad to hear you're doing well :thumbup:

I had back surgery four and a half years ago where the corrected some spinal stenosis, removed three disc and put in some steel apparatus.

I still have some lower back pain when I ride and have found that I can ride all day with the most being about 350 miles. I do however have to stop about every hour to stretch and walk around for ten minutes or so and this really helps relieve the pain but it will come back.

Glad to hear you are back on the road but I think I would mention "The only problem after the short ride I was back in pain again in my back for about three days with pain in my left rear pocket and down into my leg,I sure hope they were healing pains???" to your doctor. I would also recommend you continue and physical therapy exercises that you may have had prescribed.
Thanks Steve,
Feels good to be back on the bike :thumbup:
3 disc you must've had the cage installed? Glad to hear you're still able to get out and enjoy riding..Have you made it to Bennet Springs lately?
Thanks again for the advice
Looks like next week's going to be some good riding weather here in Missouri.:thumbup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I really like hwy 19 to Steelville hwy 8 and Bixby,MO. area lots of nice roads in that area
Another good one in that same area would probably be 185 (?) that runs from Potosi to St. Clair. That was a windy, hilly sucker, as I remember it.

If you ever want a riding "apprentice", if I'm off work, I'd be up for some of that.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
Kevin,

Glad to here you are up and riding. I know how much you love it.
Hope the pain goes away so you can increase the distance. Maybe
you can make it to the Dells by spring.

George

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another good one in that same area would probably be 185 (?) that runs from Potosi to St. Clair. That was a windy, hilly sucker, as I remember it.

If you ever want a riding "apprentice", if I'm off work, I'd be up for some of that.
Viper that's some great riding around Potosi :thumbup:
I would enjoy getting together for some riding sometime...I am probably the "apprentice" Hehehehe :)

Kevin,

Glad to here you are up and riding. I know how much you love it.
Hope the pain goes away so you can increase the distance. Maybe
you can make it to the Dells by spring.

George
Thanks George it sure feels good to get behind the controls of the Wing again!...I love riding the Wing probably as much as you do :)
This past Saturday was a bit more spirited then last Saturday.I had to blow the cob webs out of the exhaust,she sure sounded good @ 85 in 3rd.:)The group of sport touring beemers kept looking in their rear views wondering how the big fat girl caught up with them in the twisties on Rt Z lol
I sure hope to get up north and ride with you guys in the Dells one of these days soon!
Thanks again George take care buddy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts