GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm living dangerously now.....I mounted a Kumho Solus P195/55R/16 on my spare wheel yesterday, then swapped them out today. I've only done a 15 mile test run so far, but hope to do a more thorough test latter this week. I did the swap on my bike lift, and the only hitch was that the wider tire didn't want to slide up into the wheel well. I dropped it back down and smeared a little citrus hand cleaner along the outer edge and it then popped right in.

By the way, that same citrus hand cleaner is what I use for a tire lube when mounting the tires.

·
Registered
259 Posts
:congrats: Welcome to the dark side. :coffee1:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Best of luck with the new tire.:thumbup:

What air pressure are you planning to run?

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Hand soap cleaner for tire lube :eek:4: yes it worked but spooky.This coming from a guy that used everything under the sun to mount tires. Until the day where a bike tire spun on rim 2-3 inches after a hard braking situation. I tell people to use a good quality tire lube ,tire will slide on easier and never slip, as this is want it is designed to do :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Hand soap cleaner for tire lube :eek:4: yes it worked but spooky.This coming from a guy that used everything under the sun to mount tires. Until the day where a bike tire spun on rim 2-3 inches after a hard braking situation. I tell people to use a good quality tire lube ,tire will slide on easier and never slip, as this is want it is designed to do :thumbup:
:agree: I haven't spun a tire on the rim, but I did learn a good tire lube is well worth the money!

:congrats: and welcome to the Darkside!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did say I'm a daredevil.......

I find some irony in people saying you should use products that "do what they were designed to do", and yet mount car tires on motorcycles.

I've used the hand cleaner for many years and many tires and never had a problem of any kind, plus my hands stay soft and clean :thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
A good tire lube is a must I learned the hard way by damaging the bead of my brand new CT during a home install... The bead held for about 11k miles then started leaking... lesson learned.. Buy the way WD-40 doesnt work very well as a tire lube FYI :joke:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
You should not use any kind of lube that is petroleum based on any rubber, especially tires.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Well I did say I'm a daredevil.......

I find some irony in people saying you should use products that "do what they were designed to do", and yet mount car tires on motorcycles.

I've used the hand cleaner for many years and many tires and never had a problem of any kind, plus my hands stay soft and clean :thumbup:
I used dish soap since grandad said so when I was like 12. Spin one tire on rim and ask a few questions, changed my mind. Do what you like that's cool, thought I was being helpful;) Besides if I ever get to shake your hand I want them clean :thumbup:

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
... Until the day where a bike tire spun on rim 2-3 inches after a hard braking situation. I tell people to use a good quality tire lube ,tire will slide on easier and never slip, as this is want it is designed to do :thumbup:
Not true. Especially if you are running chrome rims. I have the local tire shop mounted mine when I wanted to try the Ecopia, I took the half wore out tire off the bike, I checked the balance on the Pirelli. Found out the tire had spun 180 degrees. I still will finish up using that tire later this year.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Not true. Especially if you are running chrome rims. I have the local tire shop mounted mine when I wanted to try the Ecopia, I took the half wore out tire off the bike, I checked the balance on the Pirelli. Found out the tire had spun 180 degrees. I still will finish up using that tire later this year.
I have heard tha about chrome rims before amd doubted it . Now since you said it happened to you I will say almost never slip. But are you sure the use tire lube and not dish soap?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts