GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. Thought I would check to see what's going on in the Goldwing world. I'm thinking about switching to a wing from the ST.

Please let me have your comments, pro or con.

If you have time, check my website. It has a couple of nice trips with maps and pictures.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
tell us more

ride alone?
ride slab or twistys?
like entertainment,like radio?
just so we know what type of rider you are?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome

If you are riding 2up and or long trips I would recomend the Wing. Test one if you have not already.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I ride mostly with my son who rides an FJR. I ride single (wife took a ride with me for the first time this past Saturday).

We mostly ride the backroads, avoiding Interstates if possible. We've added a GPS and satellite radio.

These items can be seen on my website.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
634 Posts

I like the ST better, . . . personally, . . .

but,

I notice your wife is beginning to ride with you.

The Wing might be a good move for her . . . and all her stuff. :D

Good luck with your decision, Sir!! :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
We went from an ST to a GW...my wife like the couch in the back of the GW better... :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just got back from a trip to Shadyvalley country store in east tn and over in western NC with 2 other wings and a st1300(he sold his wing and bought it). His only problem was communication with us. He is going to buy a handle bar mount unit. It was his first long trip on it. He loved it. He had been riding the wing for about 8 years. Handled great ran smooth and looks good too. The only way he would go back to the wing is to ride 2up more often. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think that if my wife ever told me that she would not be riding with me ever again, I would certainly look at buying an FJR and maybe trading in the Wing. I rode a friend's FJR and WOW, WHAT A ROCKET SHIP ON TWO WHEELS!!! I know that I would have problems with comfort on IBA rides, but that is an adjustment that I would have to make if I wanted to UP the fun factor.

My friend had just about made up his mind to buy an ST-1300 but after he rode a friend's and he told him about the heat from the engine on his legs, he changed his mind to the FJR. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

With all that said, I am extremely happy with my GL-1800A. I keep up with my friend on his R1200ST and he is an accomplished rider, so don't let anyone tell you that the Gold Wing is a pig...that is unless their concept of a pig includes JATO bottles! Now if your son is a good rider and he wants to put you in the dust, his bike can do that without much effort. I seems to me that either the ST-1300 or GL-1800 will provide you adequate satisfaction for the riding you are doing.

If you test ride the GL-1800 with your wife on the back, you may find you just acquired a riding partner besides your son. But be warned...after that she will probably not be willing to get back on the back of your ST-1300 for anything other than a local ride. If you want your wife to ride with you, take her for a test ride and let her decide. You will not be disappointed with either bike.

P.S. I found your info on the Blue Sea and Garmin Rhino 530 to be very interesting. Although I already have my bike farkled like I want it, if I had know about these two items when I was in the market, I may have made different choices. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went from a ST1100 to the Gold Wing and both wife and I are happy with the decision. The GL 1800 has a lot of spunk and it is a far better ride for the passanger. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
707 Posts
From the type of riding you explained I would certainly prefer the ST over the Wing. While the Wing is a fine bike it's primary advantages are:

- 2up comfort
- integrated Radio
- stock luggage space
- stock comfort
- integrated Cruise Control (good on the Interstate, but hardly anywhere else)

The advantages of the ST are:

- Handling
- Fuel range
- ABS available without BS options

If you want to have your SO ride more the Wing is the best thing to do. If you expect to continue riding 99% of the time 1up, the ST is a much better choice.

I've been riding the GL1800 for a long time and also have the ST, which is now my primary steed. My wife continues to ride the Wing and we also use it as a 2up bike. Personally I prefer the ST without passenger and the Wing is a fine bike when riding 2up, but can't hold anywhere when comparing it to 1up riding with the ST.

The only downside is the lack of Cruise Control, but even that can be fixed cheap and hasn't bothered me too much (yet).

Reiner

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sold my ST last year. Could not find a really comfortable long distance seat. Loved it mechanically, had added risers and a lot of other items. Test rode a Wing, never looked back. It was a good decision for me. My wife has her own bike and doesn't enjoy long (3-4 day) trips.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It really just depends what you want from your bike. I just got my first wing and I just love it.

I've had a sport bike and a sport tourer although not to the level of a ST1300. For me the GL suits my needs.

My wife rides with me a lot but if that were to change I'd still choose a GL. That's me though. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
I have never riden an ST1300 a recent rag rated it above the BMW and Yamaha, saying less was more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
PhoenixRising01 said:
Sold my ST last year. Could not find a really comfortable long distance seat. Loved it mechanically, had added risers and a lot of other items. Test rode a Wing, never looked back. It was a good decision for me. My wife has her own bike and doesn't enjoy long (3-4 day) trips.
Me, too. Just never could get 100% comfortable on the 2004 ST1300 regardless of the add-ons.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I enjoyed my '04 ST1300 and my '04VFR but rode them both too fast most of the time. I'm on my 2nd GL1800 and love it. The wing is great for riding all day in total comfort. You don't toss the wing around in the twisties like you can a ST but then again the ST wore me out after tossing around 700lbs+ all day. I messed up my hip and back so the choice was simple, back to a wing. The ST does pretty well on most roads, better in the twisties than the wing but the wing is better everywhere else. What I like about the wing is I don't have to be flying in the twisties to have fun. Usually I'm about 10-15 over the limit which may get me a ticket (lucky so far) but not the price I'd pay for riding a ST or VFR. Better wind protection, cargo capacity, comfort on the wing. I also think the wing looks better, I never liked the rear end of the ST (like a scooter) and never liked the Jetson mobile gear whine either. I also think the ST looks goofy when you raise the windscreen. I also get about 10k miles out of a rear tire riding brisk on the wing compared to 4-5k on the ST. The wing feels heavy at first but the weight translates to a better/more stable ride on the hwy and comes in handy for hitting objects (road alligators, animals etc). Ride one if you can, once you get used to (spoiled by) the wing you'll be hooked. It'd be nice if you could keep your ST, its nice to have 2 bikes if your like me and ride alot. I currently have a VTX that I use commuting and would like to add a GS/FJR in a year or two if I land a great deal on a low mileage model but know that I'll be back to pushing too hard on the street so a trackday (GSXR750) bike may be in order to join my old riding buddies.

Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
I replaced an '01 ST1100A with the wing. I put 60k wonderful miles on the bike with the addition of a corbin seat and foot pegs on the tip over wings. Eventually, the more bent knee position of the ST was too much for my shot old knee. The wing seating position is closer to 90 deg. for the knees and works out much better for me, even with a bike that is approx. 200 lbs. heavier.

Good luck to you what ever you decide!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

As the owner of both an 05 ST1300A and 04 GL1800A I can honestly report they both have a place in my stable.

Nothing I have ever ridden compares to the comfort of the Wing for distance riding and still having the ability to do the twisties at a level most bikes won't comfortably do.

I do love the raw power and handling of the ST but can't get it quite comfortable enough for more than 400-500 miles a day. Lack of a good cruise control is probably the # 1 contributing factor - the Throttlemeister just isn't the same. Probably adding a new seat would add a little but nothing to match the Wing. J&M CB solved the communication issues.

Making the move from an ST to the GL1800 would not be a bad decision - especially if you are ever going to do extensive 2 up riding. My girlfriend loves riding the ST and is a serious speed junky, but even her tough little butt goes dead on the ST after a long day - never on the Wing.

Rick Bailey
Tuscaloosa, AL
IBA - SS1000 - Pending
05 ST1300A
04 GL1800A

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, guys.

Boy, I've got alot of stuff to consider. Your comments are welcome and I will certainly consider them all in deciding. I will wait until next spring, so I have some time to think.

Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
hubert said:

I like the ST better, . . . personally, . . .

but,

I notice your wife is beginning to ride with you.

The Wing might be a good move for her . . . and all her stuff. :D

Good luck with your decision, Sir!! :D
My wife didn't like the wing. Too much cross wind buffeting. Bought the fjr, she took one ride and told me to get a back rest. Bought the corbin seat with back rest a month ago, she hasn't ridden yet, doesn't seem to have a desire to, oh well, too bad. She told me not to sell this one, as if I even thought about it.

Point is, get what YOU want, she may never like it. Test ride one first, try to ride on a windy day as well as a calm day and for a relatively long distance to see if she likes it. A lot of wives love their wing, some don't.

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts